📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Summary post

I’ve only finished one Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling show translation so far during this challenge. It was for their September 24 show, which was a little more work for me because it started with a contract signing, which meant more for me to translate (in pro wrestling, contract signings are opportunities for the wrestlers to talk about each other and sort of set the emotional stakes for the match to come).

Due to its length, I split my posts about it in the pro wrestling thread into two: here’s my post about the contract signing, and here’s my post about what was said in-ring at the end of the show, plus all of the backstage comments.

Here’s a photo from the show. This is Maki Itoh using her submission finisher, the 伊藤パニッシュ (Itoh Punish), on Arisu Endo. This move is a variation on a Boston Crab, which is referred to as a 逆エビ固め in Japanese.

A while back ago, we spent some time in the pro wrestling thread trying to figure out what a エビ(がた)め even is, haha :sweat_smile:. “Shrimp hardening” isn’t the most intuitive name for a wrestling move (then again, a “Boston Crab” probably isn’t, either), but 固め is the word used for wrestling holds in Japanese, and an エビ固め is a specific way of holding the opponent. In a Boston Crab/逆エビ固め, the opponent’s back is facing up instead of down, hence 逆.

After I finished the above show translation, I promoted my twitter account slightly more widely, because I wanted as many non-Japanese speaking fans as possible to be able to read the contract signing before Wrestle Princess on October 9, and my account was way more popular than I imagined it would be, and I gained 40 followers practically overnight :sweat_smile:. So when I finish this next translation, it could have potentially over 140 people reading it, which is scary!

Hilariously, despite being so busy now and saying that I was unlikely to have time to read anything else, I did actually get another chapter of 大海原と大海原 read, after several months of not touching the manga. I finished chapter 5 in I believe four days, reading at a pretty leisurely pace! I had several days to fill because there was a full two weeks between the September 24 show and the October 9 show without any shows.

I’m going to try to complete that manga within this calendar year, I think. Most of my reading will likely be in December. Every time I read more of it, it has been so long since the last time I touched it, my Japanese reading skill is noticeably better haha and I have way less grammar and vocab lookups to do.

My Spanish reading has also been coming along, albeit at a very slow pace. I’m lucky to get two pages of Antes de Ser Libre read on any given day. But, I have managed to read at least something every day, so I’m counting that as a win :blush:.

33 Likes