📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:jack_o_lantern: October 20th :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

Trying to get more done during the day today so I don’t feel as bad about playing p5r all night :sweat_smile:

よつばと!Ch 57, 58
Tae Kim 123 → 127

Also did about 40 minutes of listening practice: I really enjoy watching the おたより segment of ミオちゃん’s monday morning streams (I know it’s already thursday i got behind this week shhh). Lots of good food word and/or seasonal stuff usually, and she puts the tweets/pictures people send her on screen so you can read along with her.

Good Words

清遊「せいゆう」ー excursion (for pleasure)
雑貨「ざっか」ー miscellaneous goods
値段「ねだん」ー price, cost
粉「こな」ー flour, powder
縫いぐるみ「ぬいぐるみ」ー stuffed toy
騙す「だます」ー to trick
不思議「ふしぎ」ー marvelous
ごっこ ー playing at, game of make-believe
失敬「しっけい」ー rudeness

暴力「ぼうりょく」ー violence; mayhem​
秋刀魚「さんま」ー pacific saury, mackerel pike

22 Likes

awww what a cute little munchkin! i love him <3

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 20 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

Today, I read 2 pages of ごんぎつね.

Summary

The funeral was for 兵十’s mother. ごん saw the funeral procession and started to reflect on his mischievous behavior since his antics with the eel caused 兵十’s mother to not get to eat the eel, even though that was presumably her dying wish.

Poor ごん :slightly_frowning_face: These illustrations are beautiful though.

26 Likes

Main Post

On October the 20th I:

• Read today’s NHK Easy News.
21 Likes

I started reading 死仮面 as part of the 金田一 book club. Technically it doesn’t start for a few days but I’ll be traveling from tomorrow (just a short trip this time) so want to make sure I’m not scrambling to get it done after the club has already started.

22 Likes

Summary post

Finished my translation of Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling’s Wrestle Princess show from October 9! I technically finished the first draft on the 18th, so it took me ten days to translate it. Not bad, considering it was almost 10k characters :sweat_smile:. The English translation came out to just over 4.5k words. I think it was the equivalent of translating more than two anime episodes, which is kind of wild to think about.

I split the show into three posts for the pro wrestling thread. Here are the first, second, and third parts.

Here’s a photo from the show. This was from Mizuki vs Hyper Misao, which was a match between the two tag partners of the two wrestlers in the main event (Yuka Sakazaki vs Shoko Nakajima). Like most Misao matches, things got a bit wild, haha.

Mizuki planned for this. As I found out when translating her post-match comments, she went to Sanshiro Takagi (the president of DDT Pro Wrestling as well as CyberFight, the umbrella company that TJPW is part of) before the match to get some advice on how to beat Misao (Takagi inadvertently saved Misao’s life in 2015, and he’s someone whom she both deeply admires as well as considers to be her rival), and he gave her this fire extinguisher, which is a staple in DDT matches. I enjoyed Mizuki customizing it to match her own style, haha.

A story in three parts (click to see the other two):

It ended up being what Mizuki needed to change the tide of the match, and she got the win after a devastating double stomp from the top of a ladder. I can’t resist sharing this photo also, haha. (You can see a bunch of kaiju toys strewn about the ring, which Misao had borrowed from her tag partner and kaiju enthusiast, Shoko).

I got a bit worried for Misao a couple days ago, because she made a few concerning tweets at a very late hour in Japan, which made me wonder if she was going through a bit of a rough patch with her depression and insecurity. I ended up taking some time to compose a supportive tweet (in Japanese) to send her instead of getting more work done on my translations. I told her that her work was so inspiring to me, she’s why I got into TJPW, and is a large part of the reason why I’m learning Japanese now. I’m not sure if she saw the tweet or not, but I hope she knows just how much she’s loved and appreciated by people all over the world.

I’m a bit behind on my translations, since I only just started working on the October 14 show, which was almost a week ago. Thankfully, that show was much shorter than this one, and I only have about 4k characters to translate, which is less than half of what I had to do for Wrestle Princess.

After that, there are three more shows coming up this month in short succession, but I think they’ll all have way less going on than the other two, haha, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to stay a little more caught up!

29 Likes

that’s so kind of you :pleading_face: I’m sure she’ll read it, but maybe not reply if she gets a lot of tweets.

16 Likes

Summary Post

Day 20: October 20th
What did I read?: 夜の名前を呼んで Vol 2
How much did I read?: 50 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 31 min

Today’s chapters were a retelling of when Mira first arrived at Rei’s house - I had only planned to read one chapter but I HAD to finish the second one too, like omg, it was so good.

They meet in like, the most perfect way, like he is just beyond sweet and charming skjdfhsdjjskvck how can you not fall in love with him instantly

Vague spoilers but also like 90% incomprehensible rambling, I'm sorry, my words cannot do justice to these chapters whatsoever so I'm just screeching incoherently because I loved it so much, like there's just so much to process here and it's still being processed

I am SCREAMING
I LOVE THEMMMMMM
I-
This manga got SO REAL for a sec :bangbang: Like holy whoa, I’m still like…REI YOU REALLY WENT THERE, JEEZ, you really just went all the way down there without any hesitation omg, there’s this one thing he said in particular, I was like…damn :bangbang: Idk why but it just struck me as so raw and like…true. I feel like it’s something people just don’t usually say out loud, especially to a kid. But it was like he went there with her, instead of trying to brush off her feelings and pain with empty encouragements, and that is like…so golden. Like, he went right into her darkness without any fear whatsoever. I guess he knows because he’s BEEN there. That felt like…way more of a raw, unflinching moment than I ever expected out of this manga :flushed: But in the best way
I’m not going to try and paraphrase because I’m probably going to do it wrong :see_no_evil: But like
AHHHH :bangbang:
My words fail me but DANG

Also we see the moment where Mira starts calling him 師匠 and I just-

I can't stop screaming when I think about this part ksdjhfkjsdhjkvxn THEY ARE SO CUTE

Sorry, thank you for coming to my TED screech fest
Here’s a pretty picture of Rei, it’s just a random chapter title page but I love it so much, look at how PRETTY :sob:

THE TINY PAW-
:sob:

27 Likes

20 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 34)
  • Various Genki Review Texts

This reading challenge, through its daily occurrence, made me face my Japanese skills as they truly were in practice. Which is good! I’m going to keep reading along with the challenge, but I realized that a lot of my grammar skills from textbooks studies have slipped away from me – at the least, consciously. I ordered the Quartet textbook from my library, and in the few days before it arrives I’m gonna be working on reviewing grammar from Genki II.

24 Likes

Home

Today I read the last 12 pages of バレーボールの神様. It was good, and I liked the message that what matters isn’t whether you win or lose, but the journey and the things you learn along the way. Even though the team got eliminated before the quarterfinals at HaruKou, it’s not a sad story.

I think I’m gonna consider translating and reading two separate things for this book, because I wanna read the other four stories and not be limited by my having finished translating this one first. And not just because this is a novel that I can finish without taking months to do it.

I also read 3 chapters of HQ, finishing vol 30! Which means I’m 2/3 of the way done with the series… I don’t want it to end though?

They really are omg, I really need to get this series, so much. Also idk if it’s just because I’m listening to one of Miyano Mamoru’s songs rn, but I read Rei as having his voice

22 Likes

October 20 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Today I read… volume 5 of ブルーロック, like the whole thing :joy: it’s been a while since I’ve done that so it felt really good! This volume was just wild though, once I got into it it was so hard to put down haha. ブルーロック always manages to go like one step farther than what I expect and it’s amazing, what a fun time :grin:

25 Likes

Home post

Day 19:

Priority: :houses: 青桐.

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人.

Snatches of: :magic_wand: ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団.

At work I sometimes have a scheduled desk hour, during which I’m usually too busy to read (on my computer) but sometimes manage a bit here and there. My previous book for that was :comet: 君の名は, and now I’m using :magic_wand: ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団.

Reminder to self: if you don’t read manga, you won’t finish any manga volumes.

25 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 20th:

• Satori Reader

I think all the energy I put into my assignment yesterday burned me out a little… :yawning_face: Not a big deal; I kind of suspected that might happen. I’ll try to get back on the saddle (or perhaps broom, in this case) with Kiki tomorrow.

24 Likes

Yes, I read through to the end of chapter 8. Incidentally, in my edition there’s an explanatory endnote for the 出鱈目 at the end of chapter 7, which says that the reviewer mentioned was a real well-known critic and poet who had written a review of 吾輩は猫である that had been published just before Soseki wrote chapter 7. The reviewer apparently wrote that Soseki knew too much about the taste of jam and not enough about the taste of sake, and that he should spend less time shut in his room in the company of his cat and more time outside in the company of women. So that bit at the end of chapter 7 is put in there as a joke/riposte for readers who’d read that review.

21 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 19

Read 狼と香辛料 (58% → 61%)

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 20

Read some more 狼と香辛料 (61% → 64%)

24 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

October 20

ニャンキーズ
89 - 106

The ease in reading around this portion is fantastic. I would read more if not sleepy as all hell

23 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221021 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 58.86% :bamboo:

Wagahai-cat continues his description of the surrounding grounds (then starts going on a tangent like he usually does).

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

蚕食「さんしょく」ー Encroachment

Replies

Thanks for sharing! I’m missing all these little endnotes on mine so don’t get to learn any of this cool stuff. Always amusing when authors make jokes/stabs like these.

How long until Kiro will be making his own read-everyday posts? :joy_cat:

25 Likes

He wanted to send a text to my friend this morning, so I sent through what he wrote with his paw. Who knew touch screens would respond to paws? :joy:

20 Likes

October 20-21 :heavy_check_mark: :mountain_snow:

山の霊異記 幻惑の尾根 , 18-28%

I started reading rather late yesterday, and while I only had a bit left in my story I just couldn’t keep my eyes open - and it wasn’t the story’s fault. I finished it today, as well as the next one. Being overoptimistic I started one more, but I probably won’t have time to complete it today.
I continue loving the stories. Yesterday’s was very mysterious, no answers even attempted to be given. Brief summary: The narrator is overtaken by another hiker, who briefly talks to him before continuing ahead, after which he feels like he’s being followed, even consumed, by an incredibly bad smell. He’s almost going crazy by that smell, until he finds a couple of hikers he had met before. He stops to chat a little, then leaves them behind. As he leaves, he hears the woman ask her husband about a horrible smell, and he realizes he can’t smell it any more. Much later as he’s resting at a mountain hut, he hears there has been an accident involving that specific couple. We are left to connect the dots as we see fit. .
The next one was almost heartwarming in its eeriness. Brief summary: He keeps hearing a voice calling out as he’s hiking, without seeing anyone. When he sees a woman and child talking about what that voice is saying, he assumes it’s the father who walks ahead. But when he asks them, they are very surprised he can even hear the voice. Apparently it’s the voice of the father alright, but he had died three years ago in these mountains, and no one else hears when he calls out to them. The voice is happy, by the way, and points out interesting bits of the scenery. They said it always keeps them company until they’ve reached a safe place.

24 Likes

21 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 35-37)

23 Likes