Test our sale page and get Lifetime early!

I get the following javascript errors on all four pages:

sale.js:74 undefined has no property 'innerHTML'

The above happens even when all userscripts are disabled.

When userscripts are enabled, many of the userscripts give the error

$ is undefined

on that page. However, in spite of the error, there weren’t any obvious issues.

Finally, have you guys considered changing the color scheme and layout of your checkout page? When I first tried to purchase, it took me multiple attempts over a substantial period of time to figure out how to actually complete the purchase even though I am somewhat knowledgeable about web development. Here are the problems I encountered:

• The “All good? Click me to subscribe!” button is a shade of gray that makes it look like it is disabled even though it isn’t.
  • The “update payment information” button also looks like it is disabled.
  • The “Select a Plan” widget only allows you to click the “Select” button at the bottom of each widget to select it when it should allow you to click anywhere on the plan card. (And again, the color scheme of the “select” button makes it look disabled.)
  • When I went to the checkout page, I thought the pink highlighting on the “annual” plan meant that it was what you were recommending and currently selected, not that it was the current active plan. I took me about 30 seconds of wondering why I couldn’t click on the lifetime plan to figure out what was going on. You could fix this by replacing the words “Active” with “Your Current Plan” and moving the buttons that are currently on the bottom of each plan card to the top of the plan card.
  • The mouse cursor should show the pointer-style cursor when hovering over the currently selected plan card too. Again, I spent 30 seconds wondering why I couldn’t click the lifetime option.
  • When a user clicks on an already selected plan card, it should flash some sort of highlight on the “selected” button drawing the user’s attention to the fact that it is already selected. (Or see suggestion about auto scrolling / going to next page below.)
  • The fine print below the plan cards makes it look like that is the page footer. I know there is an arrow below the fine print, but on many devices, the arrow will be below the fold. I spent several minutes trying to figure out how to actually complete the order after selecting a plan. You could fix this by having the page automatically scroll to the payment information section when a user clicks on a plan.
  • The payment page comes across as something that was originally intended to be 3 separate pages but was all smushed in to a single page for some reason. It would probably be good to separate it into 3 pages.

You might increase your conversion rate if you polished the checkout page a bit like this.

3 Likes

Alas, I was a poor sucker who got lifetime when I started in March for 300… :sweat:

3 Likes

Don’t worry, you’re not alone. I got it when I started in August.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on the checkout page! We’ll share it with the team (although we won’t be making any changes anytime soon with the sale/holiday coming up).

And we’ll take a look at that Javascript issue as well.

1 Like

Finally got Lifetime after a lifetime of starting and restarting. I started WaniKani when I started undergrad, and now I’ve been done with my Master’s for a year. But maybe that means I’ll actually have the time to do it now… 4 years of active Japanese studying and my kanji skills still need desperate improvement, so hopefully I can fix that in 2021. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the early notice, was looking forward to this. Version 2 worked fine for me, but I will say I agree with a lot of the comments about the use of colors on the page posted above. Thanks again!

1 Like

Can you tell us what browser you’re using? We’re not seeing this error on our side.

1 Like

All worked for me!

I went through the variation 1 flow. My one comment is that after clicking ‘Get Lifetime’, I don’t think I really expected to be taken to the subscription page. I thought there would be a special checkout flow for the purposes of this sale but obviously, that’s difficult to build.

2 Likes

The error I mentioned:

sale.js:74 undefined has no property 'innerHTML'

occurs on the latest general release versions of both Firefox and Chrome.

The root cause appears to be that you have no element in the document that has class countdown-to-departure.

(Are your devs looking at the currently deployed https://www.wanikani.com/sale or some pre-deployment version that actually does contain a countdown timer?)

2 Likes

Variation 2 works and I was charged the correct amount of $199.
My account now shows as lifetime.
The intro wording is fun as well.

3 Likes

Variation 2 worked well in Firefox on Android, including the correct proration :+1:

3 Likes

I checked out variation 1 even though I’ve already got lifetime and I was expecting some message that I already have lifetime.

1 Like

Oddly, the price seems to be lower through the test site than the active subscriptions page.

Test Site

Subscriptions page

Is the amount specified on the test page simply a placeholder amount, or is it due to the sale not being active yet?

1 Like

If you scroll all the way to the bottom on the Subscription page, you should see the proration discount there.

Let me know if you do!

3 Likes

All pages loaded and worked fine
I saw the prorated price estimate
and I was charged the correct amount and have life time (yey)

4 Likes

Yeah the sale page does not, but if you end up on the subscription page afterwards, you won’t be able to:

4 Likes

All of the variations looked okay, but the first one is the easiest to understand and I think works the best. The prorated amount looks okay, and the charge went through correctly.

3 Likes

Using Safari on a tablet. All 4 variations showed up with a correct layout.

Variations 1, 2 and 3 all showed the correct price (including proration). Selecting “get lifetime” led to the subscription page with correct pricing + proration for all three variations.

Bought Lifetime through variation 1, correct price was shown on the store page and the correct amount was billed afterwards. Lifetime status showed up immediately afterwards on my account.

3 Likes

Ah, there we go.

It seems to be sevent cents cheaper though, rather than it being under-estimated.

Slight inconsistency compared to what the fine print stated, but hey, seven cents cheaper, right?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Everything seems to work fine and I am now a proud lifetime member. :durtle_megane:

3 Likes