Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 5

Ah that makes sense, since I already knew the verb “to take” I only looked up the second verb and ended up missing the connection. Thanks!

5 Likes

Okay, since we’re apparently already discussing the last page, I have some questions regarding the story itself:

Story-related questions for the whole chapter, **spoilers** inside
  • Takagi won, so she can ask Nishikata to do whatever she likes. Sounds like she’d jump at the chance, but she chooses to ask for nothing at all. Why?
  • At the very end, is Nishikata reacting to how she tricked him in order to win, or at her not asking him to do anything? If the latter, why wouldn’t he be happy that he escaped further embarrassment?
  • Where are they getting all those empty cans? The streets look always so nice and sparkling clean, yet when they need a dozen empty cans there they are right at their feet, just across the street from the trash can.
7 Likes
Also spoilers

Just speculation but I think Nishikata is reacting to the trick moreso than her not asking for anything

I’d guess her not asking is just her showing a little kindness after throwing him off balance like that haha

And they get their cans from hammer-space of course :wink:

I saw you mention checking the anime episode - think the anime is on Netflix so do you know which episodes contain the chapters we’ve read through? Might be interesting to give those a watch

6 Likes

Lol, I didn’t know the term hammer-space, but I’m so glad it exists.

Only the second season is on Netflix, at least in my area. I found the episode on Animelon, it’s part of episode 3. You can find a list of all episodes and the stories they contain on Wikipedia.

5 Likes
Takagi is really going for the kill in this chapter

Takagi won, so she can ask Nishikata to do whatever she likes. Sounds like she’d jump at the chance, but she chooses to ask for nothing at all. Why?
It seems that unlike Nishikata, she doesn’t care about the result. She cares about teasing him. Nishikata will provide further opportunities on his own.

5 Likes
More on ending

Oh, absolutely. I just thought she’d take that opportunity to tease him some more. But you’re probably right, that would be too easy for her liking.

5 Likes
Slightly different interpretation on the ending

For what it’s worth, I feel the ending plays with slightly differently than what’s been stated so far. Nishikata says:

そういつこと
されると なんか
一生勝てなくなる
気がするから
それは…

そういつこと されると => In this case he is talking about the fact that Takagi hasn’t asked for anything despite wining their can-throwing match.

なんか 一生勝てなくなる 気がするから => “Somehow this makes me feel like I won’t win ever in my life”.

My understanding here is that he’s saying that even if he manages to ever tease Takagi-san or defeat her in any way, he’ll still feel like he’s lost because he never got to do his penalty for losing this particular match, since that was the deal from the start. He’ll still feel like he owes her something for this loss.

Then Takagi-san says:

どーせ勝てないからいいんじゃない? => You are never going to win anyway, so it’s fine, right? Ahaha~

14 Likes
On different interpretation

Ooh, that’s very interesting indeed. So basically, he’ll always feel he’s in her debt? This is so devious, and certainly more in line with Takagi as we’ve come to know her.

7 Likes

Finished! This was a fun chapter. As others have been posting about the final blurbs on page 16, I think my understanding of it has become much clearer than what it was at first, so thank you to everyone for that!

5 Likes

Well, this chapter was a breath of fresh air in terms of ease. I had to double-check a couple of vocabulary words, but none of the grammar felt like a cudgel to the face the same way some of the grammar from the previous chapter did!

As for the final page discussion, I took the same impression from it as @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz did, though I probably had to re-read that page like 20 times to get there (spent as long on that page as the rest of the chapter combined, honestly).

My only other comment, is that this smug face gave me great joy:

Behold the Takagi-san Smug™

6 Likes
My favourite image in this chapter

And here’s the reason

5 Likes

Ahahah. Gotta love Yakuza. So off the wall, but such a blast.

3 Likes
I have a feeling series could have ended here

It Nishikata went full giga chad and instead of getting embarassed about inderect kiss went full-in with something like “how embarassing, wanna go for the direct instead?”
But Nishikata being Nishikata didn’t and it was Takagi who basically went this route with her fool-proof strategy.

6 Likes

If anyone has crunchyroll, it has the first season. For some reason it says “Season 2”, but it’s actually season 1! Until a friend told me this I was disappointed, and I looked at the episode titles to confirm.

As for a mapping between chapters and episodes, a while back somebody linked to this guide on reddit.

7 Likes

Girls are scary :flushed:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Oh my, you’re all reading so fast! I just joined Summer reading challenge, which prompted me to sit and read two first pages. It’s not much, but it’s more than zero.

Pages 1, 2

空き缶
Empty can
今日も一日散々高木さんにからかわれたなぁ。。。
Today I was severely teased by Takagi san again…
でも明日こそは。。。
But tomorrow, for suire…
西片ー。
Nishikata!
今日は一人?
Are you by yourself today?
途中まで一緒に帰ろーよ。
Let’s go together.
え、でも高木さんチャリじゃん。
Eh? But, Takagi-san, you are on a bicycle.
押すもん。
I’ll push (it along).
そのジュース最近出たやつだようね,美味しい?
This juice, it’s the latest one, right? Is it tasty?

One question on page 2:
途中まで一緒に帰ろーよ。
帰る is godan verb, so imperative form should not be ending in ろ, that’s for ichidan verbs. What’s the conjugation? Suspecting some colloquialism.

7 Likes

The 「帰ろー」 mentioned here is the volitional form of 帰る → 帰ろう, the う sound gets replaced with the ー marker to draw out the お-sound in ろ (like the う does after an お sound).

9 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly it! And I saw it many times, and maybe even studied :woman_facepalming:
Thank you very much!

5 Likes

Just finished, so I can finally go back to read those comments on the last page! This was a real confidence builder since I could actually understand a fair amount. Also I’m becoming more comfortable with not understanding everything 100%. I feel like a lot of times reading in English I still don’t understand everything!

Last page discussion

That’s also how I interpreted it before I read other peoples’ comments. He feels bad that she didn’t ask for anything, which is no doubt something she predicted. Besides, he already has enough of a punishment from feeling bad about losing after he was so confident in his throwing ability.

Thoughts on the "Plot"

Takagi was a bit hard on Nishikata as usual, but I’m feeling like he deserved it this time. He really made fun of her for missing the throw. On the other hand, he finally got under her skin for once, so maybe they’re even?

7 Likes

Read two more pages. I see now that this chapter is heavy on pictures and light on text, which is fine with me.

Pages 3, 4

美味しいよ、一口飲む?
Yes, it’s tasty, wanna sip?
いいの?
Oh, good.
うん。
Umm.
じゃあ遠慮なく。
Well, without reservation; freely; frankly - Direct translation does not work. Maybe: I’ll go then.
あ、別にいいけどこれってさあ。。。
Sure, go ahead. About this…
間接キス。。。だよね。
You know, it will be an indirect kiss…
フフフ。。。!どうだ高木さん!恥ずかしいだろう!?
Hahaha! How’s that Takagi-san! Embarrassing, I guess!?
恥ずかしがれっ!!
You have to feel embarrassed!

ゴクゴクゴク
Gulp, gulp, gulp
な なんだと。。。!?
Wh-what!?
まったく恥ずかしいがらない!?
Not even a little bit embarrassed!?
どうなってんのこの人!!?
What kind of person is this!!?
ほい、ありがとう美味しいね。
Yes, thanks, it was delicious.
飲まないの西片?
Not drinking, Nishikata?

Question about this phrase on page 4:
どうなってんのこの人!!?
Attempt to break up in pieces
どう how
なる (to become) in te-form
ん for emphasis
の nominalizer
この人 this person

And the result is: “How this person become like this / what’s going with this person / what with this person”.

7 Likes