Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 5 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete!]

Rhetorically pondering is the closest my brain could translate what I was thinking in that moment but I’m not even sure it’s accurate :joy: but yeah I got what you mean.

I found such case later in the same chapter!

I was about to ask the main differences with the other conditionals (even tho I know it’s a complex matter) but I couldn’t have asked a better explanation!

1 Like

This sentence feels very weird, I’m not sure of the logic

First of all, after 3 and a half months I still have no clue about what まぁ means and is used for. I can check the dictionary and find the desired meaning for the situation but then I forget it because I can’t really understand the logic behind this word. So if someone has reading material on it, pls share it!

Also, what exactly is って after 付き合ってる here?

I guess it literally means something like
“Well, for sure as for (って?) dating, it’s the impression, ???”

Last, what is じゃないかもな?
It could be かもしれない maybe? But I still can’t understand the logic of all put dogether, and also why it’s with じゃない too?

EDIT: I saw it wrong, since it’s カンジじゃないかもなー then it must be, "possibly not the impression, I wonder/think (な)
Still doesn’t make much sense tho

EDIT: I’m not even sure of the next sentence “うん、付き合ってるってのは”
What is って here again?

4 Likes

Partial response:

I don’t have any specific reading material, but the meaning here is like “at any rate” in English. It’s also similar to the Japanese word とりあえず. It can also translate as “well” in English like in your translated sentence.

()う + て = ()って. It’s the て form of ()う, followed by いる (but the い is dropped).

()()っている = to be going out / to be dating

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer Chris!

I think you misinterpreted my question, I knew that was the ている form of the verb but after it there is another extra って (付き合ってるって)
What is that one?
Also, what sort of obscure sorcery did you to to make furigana appear? :joy:

3 Likes

This sentence is clear but I’m not sure what Nishikata means with このオレが… “this me”?

What is もっとダッシュ ?
Not sure how to translate the 行く verb in the progressive form in 先に行ってる , I suppose 先に means “ahead” here

EDIT: here’s another bastard まぁ in the next speech bubble :sob: “まぁね”
What is this? A negation or an agreement, or a “well”?

2 Likes

Oops, I did! (That’s what happens when I’m on a ten-minute work break and I have a cat that keeps meowing at me for a snack when she already just had one.)

Well, I guess you just got a refresher course on ()ってる =D

This extra って is the casual quoting と.

You can imagine it as:

「まぁたしかに『付き合ってる』ってカンジじゃないかもなー。」

In other words, a “going out” feeling.

This userscript:

All I have to do is type (for example) 付き合う and the userscript outputs ()()う for me.

4 Likes

Continued for 4.5.5.1 (and let’s see if I answer the right questions this time :wink:)

じゃない + かも(しれない) + な

Basically, he’s dropping the しれない portion.

Sometimes you might also see かもね.

I read this essentially as, “Well, sure enough, maybe it isn’t a ‘going out’ feeling.

Here, the boys see Mano and Nakai, two who do have that “going out” feeling. "Yeah, regarding ‘going out’…" (Notice again I put quotes around the part that って, the casual と, is quoting.)

This is one I’ve struggled with a lot.

My understanding is that when someone say 「このオレが」, they are referring to the person who they are now.

For example, imagine Mario can’t read Japanese. Then one day Mario starts to learn Japanese. Mario begins reading a comic book in Japanese. Before anyone realizes it, Mario is on volume five, and reading another manga series as well. Mario says, 「このオレがマンガを()める!」 Mario is basically saying, “The me before couldn’t read manga, but this me can read manga!”

(Note: I chose the name “Mario” completely at random. Any similarities to a real person are completely coincidental.)

We can see this in context where Nishikata thinks about the training he’s been doing. The old Nishikata who didn’t yet train might have lost to Takagi, but this Nishikata who did do training cannot lose.

This isn’t exclusive to オレ. It can be used with ボク, (わたし), etc.

You can also use その to refer to yourself at a past time/event.

Ah, I hit my available time limit for the moment!

3 Likes

Can relate, mine is always hungry and meowing🤣

I got all you previous explanations but I’m not sure I get what this means, could you provide a literal translation? I also don’t get how there can be both “sure enough” and “maybe” since they seem contrasting

This is perfectly clear!

Hmm like saying “this (new version of) me (who has changed following some precise events, so in contrast with ‘that other, past, me’)”?

Always appreciate your examples :rofl::rofl:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer! :pray:

1 Like

This three speech bubbles were quite incomprehensible at first, but after some thinking and some intuition gained by DeepL I think I figured it put well

"Hihihi, you act calm BUT [1] I wasn’t in sight for a while and therefore you got anxious and begun increasing speed [2] isn’t it?

1. emphasis on the contrast with what comes next given by the は in the middle of the ている form. I researched it again but still remember it from when @MrGeneric explained it mid volume 1! ↩︎

2. came to increase speed? Or あげる and くる here are two separate verbs and it means “increased speed and came (reached me)”? ↩︎

2 Likes

Not sure I get what this sentence means
“It’s not the situation to be saying (not sure how I translate progressive here) such thing as calmness”?
Can’t see any sense here

EDIT: last speech bubble of page 12, what is the が in ベースはみだされた追いついたぞ
For sure not subject, but doesn’t seem like “but” either. Jisho says が can be an “and”, but don’t know nothing about this

2 Likes
Chapter 4, Pg. 9

Quoting the footnotes on mobile is behaving oddly, so I’m not gonna try, but the あげてきた question is definitely just the auxiliary くる.

Chapter 4, Pg. 12

I mean, I would phrase it as “to be talking about such a thing…” but you have the ている translated fine, so you’d need to be more specific about what doubts you have.

I also wouldn’t translate 無心 as calmness, more like, mindlessness, intentionally clearing your mind and not thinking, sorta like one would do while meditating. He talks at the beginning of the chapter about how while running a marathon, it’s good to just clear your mind and run, but now he is having doubts about that plan because he suddenly worries that Takagi-san is good at marathons and is just going to outpace him entirely, so he changes his mind:

“This isn’t a situation (場合じゃないぞ) to be talking about something like “mindlessness”! (無心とか言ってる)”

It reads like a “but” just fine to me.

“(My) pace has been thrown into disorder/been disturbed/been messed up (ペースは乱された), but (が) I caught up (追いついたぞ)”

3 Likes

You can also add it manually, but it’s annoying.

Hmm, I’m not entirely sure about this one.

While it makes sense in this situation, I see it as comparing yourself to others. このオレが gives a feeling of feeling superior to others, and saying like, “I can’t lose”, or “I can’t believe you could beat me”.

Just my two cents. Could always be wrong.

I guess you can tie it into your explanation as comparing yourself to your past self, but I still think it can have that other connotation as well.

3 Likes

Just shows to show how much of a never-ending language-learning journey we’re on here!

I agree that it isn’t always a comparison with who the person used to be. I realize that’s counter to what I wrote above. I had my thoughts on context of the scene with Nishikata.

Actually, my very first time encountering この私 is a situation that also goes against it, as well.

In this imagined scene, some thugs are after the girl on the right, when the girl on the left shows up.

Actually, I still don’t quite grasp the meaning この adds to this line…

3 Likes

Certainly, sure enough, or indeed.

I think indeed works better here, since they’re agreeing with what the other person said.

2 Likes

私が断罪してくれる
“I’ll be the one to judge you.”
(I don’t know if this is how you would translate it, I’m focusing more on the first part)
Normal sentence.
‘I’ as opposed to someone else.

この私が断罪してくれる
“This me will be the one to judge you.”
‘This me’ implies that they are someone important, with experience, or some superiority in the subject. Like if you’re just a guy, and you say, “I will judge you.” It’s like, ok. But if Phoenix Wright says, “I will judge you.” It’s like, oh shit.

No? :sweat_smile:

It can also be like, “I, with my immense experience, strength, wisdom, intelligence, etc., will be the one doing this.”

3 Likes

This answers my question! With this precise sentence it was the case that I could translate it but couldn’t still understand what it meant

Oh ok, I thought he was talking about takagi-san here :joy:

2 Likes

It is a problem with Japanese, no matter how small because of context, that people usually don’t mention the subject.

It does feel weird to say things like 俺は every sentence, probably because Spanish doesn’t, but at least Spanish has conjugations based on the subject.

I imagine it’s the same with Italian.

Maybe English speakers find it weird not to, idk.

2 Likes

Does it get easier to recognize? :sweat_smile:

Totally the same in italian! Spanish and italian are very similar you know

I think it’s like this, in fact it took me really a lot of effort and time to get used to continuously put " I " every time I switch verb (just an example)

2 Likes

Like 90% of the time, yeah.

2 Likes

2 Likes