Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

I guess you’re right. The trick is, when someone asks something you’re not 100% sure of, you just say, we’ll talk about it next class. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or you just take advantage of the time when the students are answering an exercise to look it up. XD

2 Likes

…is to tell them they just volunteered to do an extra credit research assignment :wink:

4 Likes

The problem with this is that my students rn are working adults, and they don’t have/allot that much time to studying besides the classes. One of them asked for homework, and he’s the only one who doesn’t do it. :rofl: so I joke that he asked for homework thinking of the best for his classmates.

3 Likes

Good day guys!
I asked about the っての in the sentence we discussed yesterday to a native
負けた方は言うコトをなんでも聞くっての

And this was his answer

Could someone translate?

1 Like

なんか→Something/somehow
不安→anxiety
そう→like that
Don’t know how to put together this… is it something like
There’s something causing anxiety, isn’t it?

1 Like

Quick interpretation:

If I’m reading this correctly, they are saying that っての is probably similar to って言ってるじゃないか, which reads to me as being like, “Haven’t I been saying~” (not worrying too much about being perfect with tenses right now, just trying to convey my understanding of meaning).

They then say that it would often be used after だから, then gives the example, which is translated.

So, the impression I get is that they feel it’s being used to explain something that’s already been said before. Which, I suppose if you think about it, it’s pretty normal for that to be the terms of their bets, so it kind of has, though she was also providing new information (what the bet actually was), so it’s maybe not a perfect fit for the context. (Though maybe the っての vibe only applied to the terms of loss, and that is why the sentence was in a separate speech bubble despite seeming to be part of the whole explanation). Out of curiosity, were they answering based on the one sentence or how much context did they have?

Chapter 3, Page 2, Panel 3

The そう that follows adjectives is probably better worded as “seems like~; looks like~”

So my interpretation would be:

“For some reason/somehow (なんか), (you) seem anxious.”

She is commenting that because Nishikata looks to be sweating a bit about what his test results might be.

1 Like

I just posted this single sentence on hellotalk without any context so the answer could be only partially right I guess… for what’s worth I trust the guy that give this answer

Let me ask a stupid question
Could the って contraction be a mere と? I ask because I used to think that って was always short for と+言う but in these explanations I’m seeing って+言う and I’m beginning to have some doubts

Your explanation is clear to me :ok_hand:

Oh right, I forgot that it also attached to words to imply that something looks that way

1 Like

Oh yeah, I definitely don’t think he is wrong, to be clear, and his explanation was really good. I was able to read it without any problems, anyway. I was just curious because sometimes being given full context can change how an answer gets worded slightly.

That explanation he gives makes sense to me, and can easily be worked into the context; I would just have to separate the two explanations given by Takagi-san slightly, because the “haven’t I been saying” vibes fits fine for the agreement to what happens to the loser, but not to the bet, which is new information.

Not a stupid question at all, but as for って, it can be just a casual と like it is in って言う, yes. The reason we word it as being short for という so often is because it often is, but yeah, it’s also just a casual と.

1 Like

What the hell is 見せっこしよ :joy:
I have no clue what it is but the kanji and the せ kana give me the intuition that it means something like
“ later あとで I’ll show you “

1 Like

Awesome, got it :ok_hand:

1 Like
Chapter 3, Page 3, Panel 2

Putting a っこ after a verb kinda gives it a “doing verb together playfully; playfully competing” type of vibe. It can be a bit hard to translate fully as it’s more a tone than anything, but the important part is that it’s done together.

Formation here:

見せる → 見せっこする → 見せっこしよう (gets contracted).

You’ve basically got the meaning, but it would be better worded as:

“Later (後で), let’s (しよ) show each other. (見せっこ).”

3 Likes

Oh ok got it, I guess competition is not absolutely necessary to use it
Breakdown makes perfect sense now!

1 Like

I mean, by using it, you are naturally implying some measure of competition. That is the vibe that っこ brings. In this case, she is suggesting they show each other, but the competition vibe is likely to stem from comparing what scores they got on the test and seeing who did better.

2 Likes

:flushed:

2 Likes

218-1644073113-1754471975

:wink:

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I’m asking about this ように for the tenth time :smiling_face_with_tear: @MrGeneric you linked me a pretty good article about it last time, could you link it again?

I don’t get what this sentence means
他人事→somebody else’s problem
ように→like

2 Likes

I mean, 元高木さん

2 Likes

Isn’t this like, “(don’t treat it) as somebody else’s problem!!”

2 Likes

Not sure actually… since I don’t know what that expression means in english neither :sweat_smile:
There’s a complex context behind it

Takagi had helped Nishikata study math. He takes the test and gets a bad score, so he thinks that line while picturing the moment he was being helped studying by Takagi

1 Like

This one?

2 Likes