Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

I’m a bit confused, what is this? Looks like a page of chapter 2 but I couldn’t find it :thinking:

Quite confused by this, what is こっか? I have no clue
Not sure on what 2ページ前から means, I guess ‘from 2 pages before’

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Pg. 14, Panel 2

It’s conjugation and contraction combining to make a mess:

やていく → やていこう volitional form → やてこっ contraction, the おう sound in volitionals often get shortened down, especially when followd by the question particle か, and as we know, い is a common casualty in contracting words.

So in the end:

やってこっか.

You have the right meaning regarding “2 pages before.”

3 Likes

Can’t really get what Takagi means with this line
Even knowing word by word I can’t put them together

Also thought about this for 15 minutes but can’t get it in any way… what is 範囲外?

Edit: I think I got it in this exact moment… with this sentence she meant “ the things I taught you today aren’t in the test “ (or literally ‘…are out of the range of the test’, not covered by the test)

2 Likes

It’s a scene from 「恋に恋するユカリちゃん」 volume two. Some of the stories in that series overlap with the Takagi series.

2 Likes

:fearful: this was tough to recognize… I noticed you left out a small tsu in the や(っ)て, was this on purpose?
All clear!

Edit: (given that yours was a typo and you actually meant やって and not やて), I looked for this expression but I can’t make sense of it in this context, what did takagi-san mean?

2 Likes

Oh I forgot about that manga spin-off… seems worth reading, it’s cool that some of the scenes in that manga describe the background of what was happening to the main characters in the same moments

1 Like

Don’t worry too much, it’s been 8 years and I still don’t get it.

or should I worry…

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Pg 15, Panel 5

“Nah (いやー), something like (なんて) gratitude (お礼) is fine (いいよ).”

It’s pretty common in Japanese to respond to being thanked by downplaying it a bit with いやー or いい, kinda like when in English we say, “No, it’s fine; it’s no problem; don’t worry about it!” when being thanked.

That is correct!

Yeah, definite typo. I was going quickly on mobile. :laughing:

“From 2 pages before, let’s start to do it.”

More naturally:

“Let’s start from 2 pages previously.”

She is suggesting that they go back a couple of pages, so that she can teach him from there to give him better understanding.

1 Like

:rofl: I don’t know :no_mouth: but I’ll follow your advice

2 Likes

I’ll probably have to actually understand it once/if I get to teach that semester, the good part is that I have two native Japanese teachers I can ask. :innocent:

2 Likes

Okay this is clear too, I’d say I have no more doubts on chapter 2! (Small note, finally reading a chapter a day is comfortable!!!)

Actually I have a very small doubt. About the やってこっか expression, since the こぅ part is こう (volitional), and since the っ is more of a glottal stop or what’s it called, is it pronounced kokka or koka?

If I can ask, are you a japanese teacher?

2 Likes

Haha, I am. You could be surprised based on the stuff I’m not sure about, but I’m relatively new, so…

I just did well enough in class and liked teaching, so I’m a teacher now.

I’ve also been teaching kids and first semester adults, so I’m not as familiar with more advanced stuff.

Yeah, it’s こっか, pronunciation is always as shown, you can’t read it as こか or こうか.

2 Likes

Not at all, I’d be surprised of the contrary, I could expect no doubts from a teacher with 30-40 years of teaching experience.
For what is worth, I’d trust you as a teacher! And I think the vast majority of teachers (at least in my experience) totally suck

When did you start? And in which country do you live? (Just out of curiosity)

2 Likes

Actually, I was like this when I was learning, I expected teachers to know everything even if it was relatively minor. When I started learning more and teaching, I was like, nah this shit hard.

uwu I had both, great Japanese teachers and mediocre Japanese teachers. I consider myself relatively competent.

I started as a teacher assistant around 2019, but had my first class in 2020. I’m in Mexico. :slight_smile:

It’s funny, because I always had 100 on my tests and helped my classmates with stuff. A few years later, I just asked one of my teachers if they thought I could start as a teacher assistant, and he said he’d look into it, called me a few months later, and asked me if I could start that weekend as a sub. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I admire teachers greatly because I know it is something I could never do. :laughing:

2 Likes

You actually see a lot of people that can’t do it. I have a friend who didn’t pass the N4, but was a teacher before me. I was her assistant, and she made a lot of pretty easy/though not important mistakes. We were a pretty good team, since she knew how to handle kids and I knew the topics.

But yeah, either way you need a lot of patience.

2 Likes

I feel like なくて->なくって happens a lot in speech and I’m not even sure it really adds that much emphasis, it looks like many people use it to adjust the rhythm sort off? (they slow down and mark a pause on the って part), but also some speakers seem to use it all the time anyway :thinking:.
わかんなくって | 12 pronunciations of わかんなくって in Japanese?
なくって | 2849 pronunciations of なくって in Japanese?
In the examples above, it happens even in some slow, formal speech, so it’s not even a casual thing…

4 Likes

Huh, I hadn’t thought about that, but I can see it being some sort of personal inflection (I don’t know the word for muletilla in English) for the most part, no?

2 Likes

Also, you’re pretty good at explaining, I think you could do it. n_n

My motto is, if I can do it, anyone can. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That is interesting! Thanks for sharing that. I’ve seen it from time to time, and just completely spaced it in this instance for some reason. Might just be more of a natural cadence thing then, eh?

Ahaha. I appreciate the vote of confidence. :stuck_out_tongue: I just feel there is a big difference between explaining something in a forum like this, where I can more easily take my time and check my notes when I doubt myself, than teaching in real time. The real-time aspect is where I would drop the ball, I think. :rofl: I have this tendency to just go dead-silent when trying to gather my thoughts; I can make for a pretty terrible conversation partner as a result. :rofl:

2 Likes