Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 2 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Exactly! :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, like she didn’t teach him properly or something because it wasn’t her problem.

I’d be able to make sure with the page.

Also if there’s more nuance because they’re competing and stuff, I don’t know.

2 Likes
Page

Anyway, even after reading the article I don’t get what ように means here… ように at the end of the sentence is a volitional subjunctive (wish) but how is nishikata wishing ‘somebody else’s problems’?

1 Like

Was it this Maggie-sensei article? It covers よう as a whole, but ように is part of the explanation.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think this is the ように expressing hope. I think it is very literally him fuming a bit. She asks ヒドかったの? And he thinks this line, so I read the line as:

“(Acting) like it’s another person’s problem…”

Especially because he follows it up with more grumbling about her tutoring him, but in things that wouldn’t be on the test.

2 Likes

Okay this interpretation sounds great!
The article wasn’t the maggie sensei one but I’m going to check it too rn!

Anyway, apologies for my comprehension problems, I’m a bit sleep deprived and feeling out of focus this week💀

1 Like

範囲外→out of range
とこ(ろ)→aspect/ matter
範囲外のとこ→a matter that is out of range of someone (takagi…?)
教えた→taught
せい→consequence/ outcome
でもある→ not sure, this seems to be a grammar point that means a couple things but I can only see it in this context meaning “to be… or something”
Translation attempt:
“It is んだ the outcome せい of Takagi-san taught (weird in english but it should be like ‘takagi san teaching me’ in ‘natural’ english) which is a matter oht of her range, or something でもある “
This is the best I can do and it took me 15 minutes :exploding_head:
A bit more natural:
This is probably just the result of being taught by Takagi-san

2 Likes

Remember back to the last chapter. It isn’t out of range of Takagi. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would split the grammar somewhat differently.

せいで → “the fault of…” (で is acting as the “means” particle here, more specifically marking the cause of something)

もある → “also is” (も because he recognizes that there is more to it than just this reasoning)

You’re pretty close to the intended meaning, but see if changing those puzzle pieces around helps you get the rest of the way.

2 Likes

?
:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Fuck, now I get it!!!

I found the translation ‘blame’ on jisho under the せい voice, I suppose it’s that

Oh so it’s like ‘the fault of this happening is also of …’
Let me try to rearrange it then:
範囲外のとこ教えた→taught things out of the range of the test (literally referring to last chapter’s line).
So the whole sentence translated is

it’s that んだ the fault せいで (of taking a bad score at the test) is also もある Takagi-san (subject) taught 教えた out of range things 範囲外のとこ

3 Likes

Yep, you got it!

1 Like

Totally lost with this sentence
ピッタリ→perfectly
当てられる→to be embarrassed/annoyed (can’t tell how this modifies こと)
だけ→merely (particle?)
避け→to avoid a situation
ねば→なければ edit: apparently it’s exactly this, and apparently I already checked those google results… :thinking::clown_face:
Have no idea once again how to put these pieces together…

2 Likes

While there is a verb that means what you posted, from context, I think this is actually passive/receptive 当てる. That might make it easier to guess (:wink:) what the intended meaning of the sentence is.

Yep, this came up at least twice before in the first volume. It is the old way of saying なければ, used for dramatic/comedic effect.

2 Likes

Oh ok now it’s a whole another thing, I got misled by this and also by having interpreted 避け as a noun (which doesn’t really play a huge difference but seeing it simply as the verb ‘ti avoid’ is easier)
I grasped the meaning but I’m still not sure

ピッタリ→precisely
当てられる→be guessed
コト→thing
だけ→only, merely
避けねば→must avoid (a situation), this is なければ form of 避ける ichidan verb

“ As for the thing (his score?) to be precisely guessed, I must avoid “
Or
“I must avoid her precisely guessing my score “

2 Likes

Yep, you have the meaning! I think my only remaining comment would be that you should view the 当てられること as a noun (Something like “being precisely guessed”). こと nominalizes nouns like の does, and that makes it so you have to take fewer mental twists to figure out how the こと is being modified, though ultimately, its the same thing; it just might make future things a bit easier for you to parse it you remember that こと nominalizes verbs. :grin:

1 Like

Right, I remember that we discussed this already! In this case tho, even knowing this, I would’ve still mistaken it because I though that Nishikata was concretely referring to his score, but this doesn’t make much sense because in this case instead of こと he would’ve simply used 点 as in the many other occasions!

1 Like

Edit: First part of sentence figured out↓
あんな→that mind of things
あからさま+な(adnominal form of だ) “frank, straightforward”
The second part I guess is
フェイクしてくる→come to make a fake (sorry for the rhyme)
ってことは→I’m not sure about this and don’t know what って is contraction of, but I’d try with という since I know the construct ということ as a nominalizer (said thing). In this case tho I wouldn’t be able to apply it to the rest. “ as for the said thing of fake ~ ~ ~ “?

Edit2: thinking about it, ってことは could simply be nominalizing and making topic what comes before:
“As for such a straightforward fake…”

1 Like

You’re pretty much there, but just to make you aware, ということは is a grammar point of its own. It does nominalize and mark the topic, but it carries a vibe of “that is to say; so that means; in other words”

1 Like

Edit: thinking again about っていうことは, I don’t see the difference between the grammar point you listed and the っていうコトだ (だ instead of は) that there is in the next sentence, how are the two sentences linked?

Out of topic, I was randomly thinking about when I’ll start reading 進撃の巨人 and was also wondering how will I be able to survive without a book club… do you have any suggestion about that? Is there a place where I could ask questions on that theme here on the forum? i couldn’t find an AoT BC, maybe it exists and I missed it (search function is my enemy), are you aware of anything?

1 Like

This wasn’t too difficult
92点だ→Score is 92
と→Simple quoting
思わせたい→wants to make (causative) (me) think
ってコトだ→it means that

“…It means that she wants to make me thing that her score is 92”

2 Likes

For me, the best skill is doing a web search for the unknown grammar with the word “grammar” after it, such as:

By the time you finish volume 2 here, you’ll probably have a good idea of what you’d want to look up any time you get stuck reading. Even if you don’t, you can just try searches and see what does and does not give you useful results.

Bonus Tip: If you find you’re trying to read something that is just too difficult, set it aside and pick something that’s easier but still above your comfort level. I had to steadily work my way up to being able to read Detective Conan. (And there are plenty of items I’m not ready for yet!)

2 Likes