Starting over

Hey guys!

I took a break from wanikani since last year (seriously march 2017)
I made it to Level 14, burnt 242 words, and burned out.
Life got in the way and I realised I didn’t do myself any favours by fast tracking wanikani.
Going to start over, from Level 0!
Any advice? any encouragements?
trying to be good this time!

11 Likes

Yay, reset buddy!

2 Likes

Is level 0 a secret level for people who reset?

22 Likes

I started over a little while ago and I will say I am so much happier with the results. You will be surprised how much you remember and then you will know things were truly burned. Good luck and take it more at your own pace, this has led me to find more joy in learning the language.

2 Likes

I had to start over too - after having been stuck for more than a year on level 37. It’s my fault; I let my health to get the better of me, and suddenly the reviews got piled up and I found myself forgetting things I was supposed to know… And so, I realised that the only way to clean up this mess would be to start over again. I take it, everyone in this thread (except for Kumirei 先輩) is a resetter? Well, we did fail our first time; let’s learn from it and do better this time!

2 Likes

oh wow, you are already two levels above me haha

2 Likes

Not sure you can say Plantron failed, they reached level 60

2 Likes

Thank you! and good luck to you too!

1 Like

oh yeah it is… that’s where you learn the big crabigator secret :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t recognise him, lol!
I usually mainly recognise people by their avatars…

1 Like

Oh wow, level 37… life goals!
good luck on your second try! you’ll do great

1 Like

I reset on April 1st, so the first two short levels are behind me now.

2 Likes

Resetter here too.
What everyone says, is true. Do not make the same mistakes, do not race, have fun, take it your way.
We all can do it!

1 Like

Thanks, good luck to you too!
The important thing, in my opinion, is to keep doing WK every day, no matter what. You don’t have to do all the lessons/reviews, but as long as you keep doing WK every day, you are going to be fine.
I knew it the first time, and everything was great while I was following that rule. The moment I started skipping days, however, the problems started… So, for me it’s no day without WK from now on!

1 Like

just realized your avatar is garnet. o.ob I’ve recently come to realize how much I love ff9 in terms of wanting to replay it sometime maybe on my phone?

back on topic, I remember myself getting back from a probably close to 2-3 month vacation mode/sickness. I’m just surprised that I had some sort of mentality to activate it like a day or two before I was hospitalized. But I just powered through it and reread all my notes that I keep on my synonyms that I used to remember them. Compared to some of those quick wanikani burners I’ve long thrown away that pride, I’m usually pretty proud with my 70% success rate. anyway good luck! it’ll be a journey for a few years regardless.

1 Like

Oh replay for sure, it’s my favorite FF (prob while it was my very first role playing game ever and was so in awe over it hehe)
Enjoy! And thank you, I will try and not rush this time, but it is hard already!!
Good luck to you too!

2 Likes

See, you got to level 37, where as I got stuck on level 18, reset to level 12 and then thought… Oh well let’s start over. Well done you!
I have to say that it feels sooo much easier this time around right? I feel like I actually know the words and kanji.
So maybe I did learn something the first time around haha

1 Like

I made it to level 6-7. went on vocation mode (went to the UK) but when I got back i re-evaluated my WK (Japanese in general) studies. I had started back in 2015! and we had a fire at my work, life got a little out of hand for a while resulting in me taking a yearlong break from Japanese and when I finally came back I would take many mini breaks…I reset back to level 1 at the end of last month and it was the right thing to do. I’m taking it slow but steady and feeling better for it I seem to be taking more information in and stuff is sticking. i really don’t want to give up and sometimes that means taking a step back. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t know that. I used your forum infocard which is not always correct; the correct one is always the WK profile… Sorry for having called you さん, I should have called you 先輩 instead.
Anyway, lets keep doing our best and slowly but steadily reach level 60!

1 Like

Hahaha I feel more like a さん with the progress I have made

thank you so much for the encouragement I’ll do my best :slight_smile:

1 Like