Special kanji words derived from other words

If the reading doesn’t match add a little * and mention of the original reading.

1 Like

Is it good like that? I’m not sure if it was that originally, but jisho lists it under “other forms”:

1 Like

Looks good. :+1:

1 Like

快い (こころよい) must be 心良い right?

I always wondered about 炎 (ほのお), that お makes me think the の is possessive and the spelling comes from a different word

1 Like

Good one! Jisho even lists that as a valid alternate spelling.

According to Goo, it’s 《「火 (ほ) の穂」の意》, but that’s a pretty major reading change.

1 Like

Apparently, yes.

Also, 炎 seems to come from Sometimes 火 is read as ほ when joined with other kanji, like 火照ほてる. There’s more about that here (in Japanese):

Some other interesting thing I discovered in this article:

ほたる = 火垂ほた

I also remembered some other examples, but I’m kind of worried the table might be growing too fast… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hmm… :thinking:

1 Like

I just learned about 瞬く (またたく) being derived from 目叩く and I thought that it would fit in this thread.

5 Likes

ほ and お is a change that happened in classical Japanese. The classical spelling was ほのほ. But the pronunciation was what we see today, so they spell it phonetically now.

滞る(とどこおる) has got to be one!

I’m just being lazy now lemme have a look myself

It’s the とど of とどまる plus こおる.

2 Likes

I was thinking this earlier too, but didn’t have much luck finding anything except that the とど comes from とどめる. My guess is that the こおる is from 凍る.

Leebo’d

2 Likes

Ha you guys are a lot better at this than me. I like this thread though and I will return with more goodies

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. I’ve never seen ほ for 火 either, though that one is actually listed in jisho.

You might have also forgotten that the entry for the word 火照る (ほてる) mentioned it.

2 Likes

Yep, thanks for the reminder!

Apparently 火垂 can still be used in names.

1 Like

Not sure if it fits in this thread, but I just remembered this one 試みる= 心見る (valid spelling)

Edit : Also those two are suspicious but I can’t find proof…
鬣 たてがみ probably 立髪 ?
忝い かたじけない too long to be honest :yum:

3 Likes

This topic is slowly making me realize that most of the long kunyomi that I struggled so hard in Wanikani are actually almost always derived from simpler compound ! Amazing.

塊 = 固まり (valid spelling)
凩 = 木枯らし (valid spelling)
礎 = 石据え (not a valid spelling)
狼 = 大神 (not a valid spelling)
曙 = 明仄 (not a valid spelling)
嘴 = 口端 (not a valid spelling)
猪 = 猪 (い) の獣 (しし)

紫 murasaki, 幻 maboroshi and 唇 kuchibiru looks also promising.

5 Likes

Well, this one’s obviously 口… uh… ビル

5 Likes