Slooshy’s Study Log 🦑

It’s my study log!!! :speaking_head::brain:

I started this log at lvl 10 because I still hadn’t gotten a routine together for grammar study… and now I am finishing up lvl 17 and still don’t have a routine!! xD :drooling_face:

But here are the things I have most recently been doing:

• あつまれ:どうぶつのもり (Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Switch)
  • NHK News Web Easy

Initially I was looking at Tadoku free ebooks, and a cute little Igo puzzle book for beginners. With apples!!! :green_apple::apple::green_apple::apple:

At this point my daily goals are:

• keep playing Animal Crossing (at a minimum read the daily announcement from しずえ)
  • keep a Japanese language diary
  • continue daily work in Human Japanese
  • Harvest Moon

My current intermediate goals are:

My translation/reading goals are:

:cherry_blossom:Thank you Oshin, for the encouragement and for telling me that opening a study log is the thing to do!

:cherry_blossom:Thank you Riya, for the encouragement and translation correction on my very first translation attempt!

:cherry_blossom: Thank you Trunklayer, for encouragement and getting me looking at NHK News Web Easy, and for directing me to Teppei Sensei!

:cherry_blossom: Thank you Firefairy, for encouragement and marshmallows!

:cherry_blossom: Thank you i2j3, for getting me started with typing using JIS keyboard layout!

Random resources:

19 Likes

Always great to see a new study log! I’m looking forward to see how it grows!

5 Likes

This isn’t exactly study log material but… I just reached the Painful!!! Wheeeee!!! :strawberry:

…Crabigator’s in pain. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Big news: I played some Pokémon Let’s Go, Eevee! last night!!!

I had a lot more comprehension this time around. And just as I hoped I remembered, it’s where I first saw “助手” and “研究”. :blush:

More news - I have rediscovered my kanji drill books:

Now, to kick some butt at Tetris 99 for a few minutes to warm up my brain… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

@postliminal and @raephe:

Hey, brah. ;D

(It’s been a bit but we are in the exclusive club of people who prefer to be addressed as brah over dude…)

4 Likes

I always imagine someone rolling a spanish R and then saying this. :duck:

Anyways, nice to see that moomin books, they look really cute. :slight_smile:

Keep up the reviews!

2 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement…yeah I am falling behind agghhh

rrrrrrr~~~

2 Likes

Don’t @ me, brah >_>

jk good job studying! I’m playing Pokémon Ultra Moon and Chibi Robo to get my reading practice in

3 Likes

Awesome awesome!!! Ah, chibi robo looks so sweet!!

3 Likes

Haha it’s been a fun way to learn differences in speaking styles. The father talks like a little boy, and the mother talks like a… distressed woman. And all the toys have their own personalities which affects their ending particles/contractions/etc. Definitely not something I could have comfortably attempted even a year ago, as a lot of it is stuff you can’t find in a dictionary!

3 Likes

That’s really cool!! :grinning:

2 Likes

(Are you playing Chibi Robo on a Japanese GameCube?)

2 Likes

My today’s goal is to translate another two sentences from “よんろのご IGO puzzle” and post the translation so far!

“My today’s goal”…uhhhhhhhh wow I don’t think I used to chunk things out quite like this… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m playing it on a Wii, but yes it’s Japanese :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Achhhh sooo cooool!!! :grinning:

3 Likes

Welp. Yesterday i “read” what I thought was the following (actual definitions that I looked up today are in the parentheses):

Step 1
Apple location/move forms (おきかた - setting/placement)

Three rules to remember!

Rule 1: Cross point at one stone location > one stone per intersection point. (こ - stone? Piece? Item counter referring to a stone?.. ずつ - ??, actual definition is apiece or each… おく- put down or move, expected to be the verb form of おき, actual definition is to put or to place)

Line and line crossed places d.o. cross points called > Places where lines intersect each other are called cross points. (交点 - こうてん)

Apples, at cross points, one item each are placed > A single apple can be placed on each cross point. (Intersection point)

So today after rereading it and looking at the actual definitions of the words I was aware of not knowing, I got the following as a more natural sounding translation:

Step 1
Placing the apples
Keep three rules in mind!

Rule 1: one piece can be played at each intersection point

The spot where lines cross is called the intersection point. On an intersection point, a single apple can be set.

4 Likes

What I am impressed with at the moment is how efficient it is. More gets said in less space with fewer syllables than with English.

Also, I am delighted to find that I actually have had near 100% luck in figuring out or intuiting the breaking points between the concepts or items or parts of speech or grammar points or whatever it is that they are. It’s super logical, to the point that I can guess reasonably despite not actually knowing the words I am looking at or even where the divisions are. The う verb indicator helps, and so does the consistent tagging of the clauses with は and を and に and such.

Learning kanji readings has helped immensely with this by helping me form an expectation for how long the words will be. I am no longer cluelessly feeding six-syllable “words” into Jisho.org and getting hopeless when they bonk. I can make reliable guesses as to where the words divide!! This is amazing for me!!! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

スルーシーさん、これからも頑張ってください!

3 Likes

I did some reviews this morning and did great! I exited the Tsurukame session when I got one wrong that I knew, then went back in and nailed it to the wall. Very happy!
One day til I hit level 13! Yayyyyy!!!

5 Likes

In other news, the sheer volume of homophones is beginning to freak me out… and I have barely even started. Is there a “peak homophone” WK level, after which the rate of new homophones to learn can be expected to decrease a bit?

4 Likes