Since using Wanikani, have you ever mixed up or misread a word or kanji?

Just curious. For example have you ever read 緑 as せん、熟 as ねつ、持つ as まつ、素直 as しょうじき、or anything like that?

Be honest :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Of course.

28 Likes

I misread things even in my native language, and it doesn’t have thousands of characters and a handful of alphabets.

35 Likes

Of course

18 Likes

All the time!

9 Likes

The day I manage to read an entire page without a mistake is the day that I’ll know I made it. Heck, I still make quite a few mistakes when reading katakana too quickly :expressionless:

6 Likes

I’ve done this so many times, it’s impossible for me to even think of examples. It’s just the reality of not using every kanji on a daily basis

4 Likes

I highly doubt anyone will respond “no” to this thread.

I’m certain even native Japanese speakers misread kanji sometimes.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure I still read 縁 as せん every time it comes up in reviews :,)

4 Likes

Sure, it’s inevitable with 本日語

8 Likes

Yup‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

2 Likes

You forgot 末/未.

And good old 日本/本日

6 Likes

You’re sure that hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread?

2 Likes

No, certainly not. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, if you say so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh yeah!

and 物事 vs 事物 haha

2 Likes

Of course I misread a lot of stuff, but here are some examples of stuff I get mixed up a lot.

• 緑 and 縁 - I finally recognized the difference a few months ago and no longer mix them up if I look closely. But when reading quickly I still don’t always notice.
  • 熱 and 熟 - I see the difference when looking closely of course, but I have a hard time noticing when reading. When they appear in words I already know it’s easier since I know what to expect, but there are just so many words I don’t know…

That’s just off the top of my head. I’m sure I’ll notice a dozen more when reading today. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yes, often.

I do this in English, too, though, because I read very quickly. Just like in English, I get to a point where the sentence doesn’t make sense, and I go back to look for my error. That whole process just happens much faster in English than in Japanese.

3 Likes

What’s even the point in asking this question? It’s not uncommon for native speakers to mix up kanji.

Of course I make mistakes all the time.

I’ve started my WaniKani course having known 200 kanji maybe and I didn’t even realize how similar some of the kanji were at the time, so in fact WaniKani might have brought an element to that confusion even further, if you see a kanji made out of three radicals and there’s one with a different reading and a different meaning that has the same layout and two of the same radicals but a different third then you’re in for a good time.

My latest nemeses have been 徹 vs 撤 vs 撤 vs 微.
It’s all fine and dandy if you see any kanji following those ones, then your head automatically aligns the reading to a picture of the word that you have in your head.

But if you see 徹する and 微か you miiiiight want to hold on just a tiny second :sweat_smile:

1 Like