Similar Kanji implementation?

Perhaps this is opening a can of worms, but I think it’s probably a good idea to expand the “similar kanji” section to include kanji where the radicals look similar too. If I’m right, the section is populated with characters that share a certain amount of radicals in common. However, we end up with some cases like 線 and 緑, where the bottom-right radical is very similar (especially at most reasonable font sizes for reading). If there was a way to expand the list, either programmatically by throwing in a warning about similar radicals (maybe in a secondary list to avoid confusing the person studying), or through a small suggestion form for review by the WK team, I think it’d be helpful!

2 Likes

I think there is a script that does exactly this: [Userscript] WaniKani Similar Kanji

EDIT: Glancing over that thread that specific script may not be working but there are some alternatives linked in the discussion.

1 Like

I’ll poke into here, thank you (so far none of the links work anymore though :frowning:) I did find this really cool script though: [Userscript] Keisei 形声 Semantic-Phonetic Composition

1 Like

You can edit the kanji list as you like, and it also includes the kanji from Keisei as a source.

As far as I know the default section in WK shows kanji people sent in, it will take a very long time to fill (if someone still know about sending suggestions in the first place).

2 Likes

thank you!!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.