Show Us Your Handwriting -- In Japanese

I don’t know if this is wrong or not. I was trying to practice some adjective conjugation as well as vertical writing:

7 Likes

全部読めるよ!:kissing_heart:

The conjugation is fine, by the way

2 Likes

やった!

1 Like

Not too shabby, definitely nicer handwriting than mine. The only thing that threw me was the う in べんきょう, which kinda looks like a ろ.

2 Likes

Looking at all of these is definitely improving my motivation to begin writing japanese (although I’ll stick to kana for now). Time to start filling in the practice book I got for Christmas! Especially if I want to try out calligraphy eventually.

1 Like

Just a note on 入, your version looks a lot like a font, and it looks like you might have started with the upper part that points left and then continued down and to the left.

Either way, I recommend looking at the stroke diagrams at Jisho or similar sites, for a less font-like style.

3 Likes

Some (not so) random Kanji xD

4 Likes

Ah! I need to be better about not connecting the strokes! Thank you!

I was looking at font, thank you Leebo! I will definitely check this out. I appreciate it!

That last one looks like simplified hanzi, instead of kanji.

I like your style, though

Everyday 0.38mm functional chickenscratch:

Purposeful 1.0mm ペン字 practice:

11 Likes

From years ago: A Reader of Handwritten Japanese (P. G. O’Neill, Kodansha, 1984; ISBN 0-87011-698-3). May still be a few copies floating around through a used book dealer. For instruction in reading handwritten letters. “Designed for intermediate level ability.” Four graduated levels, basic to advanced. Seventy or so sample letters and some final illustrations from classical J. If you get this text, resist the impulse to take the gun from the drawer in the desk in the next room. The internet will give you contact information for a known master calligrapher whom you can commission for a wall hanging. A standard four character piece will cost a few hundred. Put it on your wall to inspire you. Better than taking breaks to beat yourself over your shoulders when you find that maybe one character in ten is acceptable to someone who was simply educated in Japan. Ex: Shoudounoseishin. The Spirit of Calligraphy. You have a choice of styles from square to full running and she will send samples for you to choose between. I could afford one. Can’t tell you what it is like to sit and look at a genuine signed piece. She, of course, has given her life to it. I’ll settle for ball-pen. It would just be over the top to pick up a brush. s/RunningInPlace

1 Like

That’s beautiful! I love the 光, I can never make mine look anything like that

2 Likes

My English handwriting is bad, but here is my attempt at Japanese, I have very little prior experience, so it’s very sloppy…

2 Likes

Tada! My attempts at writing the kanji I know from Wanikani

Actual Writing

Simple Kanji

More Complicated Kanji

3 Likes

Away from home so I can’t grab my actual JLPT notebooks in all their scribbled glory so I did いろは at the most normal pace I could. I actually rather like the confidence, and it’s certainly no less legible than my English handwriting!

7 Likes

Since I have a few screens as my companions on a daily basis, I don’t really do a lot of handwriting. But sometimes there is no other way, like when I was ordered to make labels in 沖縄方言 for pineapples being sold on a local market.

5 Likes

Love your ペン字!

For the fast written the only thing I noticed was that your 館 in 図書館 looks like two separate kanji. But you did squeeze it into one box up top when you wrote 旅館.

There is also a difference between my deliberate writing, and fast writing, but nothjng as dramatic as yours! (Both closer to your first sample!)

2 Likes

Is that a famous poem, or something? I can recognize, but not read most of your kanji. Some of your kana I am not sure about, but I love the look/feel of it!

If you can call it a style. I just write as fast as I can.

It says “I don’t study Japanese” btw.

1 Like