Show Us Your Handwriting -- In Japanese

Here are some of my handwriting (the original photo was large and cannot be uploaded, so I cropped it). I am currently answering the Multimedia Exercises for Basic Japanese Grammar. So far, I am having trouble writing シ, ン, ツ, and ソ correctly and 書 neatly. I put 振り仮名 on the words that I haven’t learned in Genki.

7 Likes

Today I was burning copies of some CDs for my mom, and while at it, I decided to write titles and tracklists in Japanese. It’s my first longer attempt at writing kanji at all…

愛, 髪 and 優 gave me lots of headache… Also, there’s obvious error in 扉…

3 Likes

This is my WaniKani book right now. I am Level 6.

8 Likes

Here are some random shots of my kanji writing, kana blocks, and some notes I took a bit ago. I don’t think my handwriting is bad, but I don’t think it is good either. My English is middle ground too (or downright horrible if i’m being really fast/lazy).

6 Likes

Part of an essay I wrote at school.

9 Likes

I tried my hand at one of my favourite Bashō poems. :blush:
(iPad + Pencil)

Edit: because I didn’t know how to resize images in a post.

7 Likes

I was bored in a meeting and did all this.

9 Likes

I thought you folks here might appreciate this:

It’s a japanese cursive “dictionary’, that shows different stages of abstraction in handwriting for a lot of kanji. :blush:

17 Likes

Wow that is a cool book. Some of that stuff definitely becomes a mess of squiggles.

2 Likes

I really enjoy those cursive scripts, they look awsome, specially when writing notes or postcards :slightly_smiling_face:

Somewhat on the lighter spectrum of くずし字 resources I would recommend this book.

It’s much more aimed at producing cursive script on daily documents (greeting cards, postcards, letters, envelopes, etc).
With practical exercises like this one.

And a section that I really enjoy which teaches cursive version of kanji radicals, as to have those building blocks to produce any character.

17 Likes

That is really cool, I might actually order that book right away! While the kanji dictionary I posted seems to be more aimed at being able to read calligraphy from scrolls and the like, it doesn‘t help too much with actually producing aesthetically looking cursive. :smile:

1 Like

Do you have a link to the book you posted?

Yeah, big bookstores can have within the 書道 section a くずし字 section, which will be exactly that.
For producing cursive writing (not 草書) for regular use, your best bet probably is checking 美文字 resources. Some stress on been aimed at 鉛筆 or 筆ペン … but ain’t much difference for what I’ve seen.
The chapter on radicals is what was different with this one from other’s I saw. It also has QR codes for videos :slightly_smiling_face: … which was much better than most caligraphy resources that will still have DVDs.

2 Likes

I tried searching via the ISBN, but I only found an older edition (1998) on Amazon - mine is from 2004. :disappointed:

1 Like

Indeed, that seems really useful! I did a quick search on Amazon for 美文字 just now, seems there is a pretty wide selection for all occasions. Oh, I really wish I could just go to a big japanese bookstore right now and browse! :smile:

2 Likes

I find that writing out vocabulary from light novels I’m reading really helps me to remember them. I do a lot of English handwriting/calligraphy practice for my bullet journal, but I still have yet to get my Japanese to the same level :sweat_smile:

23 Likes

Wow, that looks great! I love the color and style. :blush:
Your kanji stray from their squares a little sometimes, but the page looks sooo good overall, you barely notice! :innocent:

2 Likes

Thank you! :heart:
I actually don’t use the squared paper to draw kanji/kana in specifically, I just prefer it because the lines are less prominent when I’m doing calligraphy like for the title. I’m so used to having dotted/squared journals and paper that I can’t go back to lined anymore. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wait, what? This looks like a textbook :flushed:

1 Like

THIS is wow