Show Us Your Handwriting -- In Japanese

LOL you’re the best

1 Like

Trying my hand at ペン字. These are most of the level 1 kanji from WK, minus 一, 二, 三.

The vertical “harai” (where you make a tapered line by lifting the pen off the paper) at the bottom of 十 is surprisingly hard to do without wavering. A “tome” (where you stop fully) on a vertical line is much easier. Any vertical lines reveal your mistakes quickly though, it seems. The upper parts of my 大 are also like a millimeter or two too long. Lots of room for improvement across the board though, particularly in consistency.

11 Likes

What kind of pen are you using?

It’s not in front of me, but it’s a cheap convenience store ballpoint pen.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m impressed. What are you using as a guide to technique?

Mostly kanji-note.jp for the kanji forms.

But I’ve watched many videos on general techniques.

2 Likes

Right. After I trained myself using 漢字練習ノート 小学1年生, I can see your point. Let me try mine a sec and take its photo. As far as I remember I trained myself writing “dai” last week. Will my “dai” get better? Idk. The first stroke should be a little bit above the horizontal middle line. *After I took my “dai” writing photo, meh, my “dai” legs shouldn’t be that low, should they? :joy::sweat_smile:

1 Like

As I noted above, I’m using this site, which has the horizontal line just barely above the midline, so it naturally has a bit of a longer “neck.” I’m guessing that book isn’t specifically for ペン字.

http://kanji-note.jp/kanji_single/?kjcd=5927

There’s a lot of leniency in forms it seems.

1 Like

Just watched it! Nice video! Thanks! Can you recommend me a book specifically for penji?

Sorry for the late reply. I have a set at home. I’ll get the name later.

I bought a calligraphy set… Does that count as handwriting?

It feels really nice to use the real brush and ink.

11 Likes

I’m only level 3 on WaniKani and 2 chapters into Genki 1. My handwriting could use some improvement. I also I haven’t studied strokes or stroke orders yet.

1 Like

Never mind, it’s okay, don’t feel bad. I can wait.

It must feel good to let go high tech (gadgets, mobile) from our hands temporarily and really dive into Kanji calligraphy.

The set I have, which was given to me, is called 実用ボールペン字講座, which is kind of just a generic thing. Like a box of cereal that says “Cereal” on it.

I don’t know where that specific one would be on sale, but if you search for that, lots of products in the same category will come up.

I gave 志 another whirl today. I watched some more videos on proper technique.

Yesterday’s is on the right.

40206201_2224968064399565_1742905678701264896_n

11 Likes

Learning new kanji again (yay!) for the first time in a few months, since I stopped leveling up while preparing for the JLPT

5 Likes

Since I finally started writing i can now share some pics, too :smiley:
So tell me, what you think. I‘m just beginning

5 Likes

Regarding some of the writing, some of you might want to try writing on handwriting overlays (like KanjiStudy on Android). Because I saw a bit of proportional problems (mostly kanji) or skewed characters (mostly hiragana) in some of what was written. My strict Japanese 4 teacher would have marked them with a note at the very least (sometimes she would mark them wrong). She used to get on people about the size of 日 in 時 and 曜 a lot.

If you’re interested in writing kanji better in general, you should check out this video (warning: in Japanese).

The guy in it gives a really good overview of proportionality and the shapes of kanji. I got a lot better after watching this to be completely honest. I’m much more careful now to keep everything a certain way. I’m still not great by any means, but I’ve only gotten 1 comment about a disproportionate kanji afterwards. So I do feel that I’ve gotten better.

5 Likes

Yeah balance is my biggest problem with writing kanji! Thanks, I’ll check out the link

2 Likes

my balance sucks, too. gonna check out your video when i’m home :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not what I was expecting, but interesting, nonetheless! Now I just need to figure out the ideal shapes of the kanji and kana

3 Likes