Say Something About The Kanji Above You

This a kanji is a phono-semantic compound of half 犬(transformed into 犭) and half 師 (that is where the し comes from ).

In Chinese, it may be simplified as 狮, but I do not think that is true in Japanese.

We most often see this kanji used for a 獅子(しし)(lion). The left handed 狛犬(こまいぬ) at a Shinto shrine is also known as a 獅子(しし).

If you are in 沖縄本島(おきなわほんとう) you will hear their little lion dogs being called シーサー. This is merely 獅子(しし)さん which has been shortened over the centuries.

Invariably, in pairs of these critters, one will have the mouth open, and one closed. They are ()(ぎょう) and (うん)(ぎょう), the first and last letters of the Sanskrit alphabet. Kind of like the Alpha and Omega in the West. Say them together, and you get the mantra “aum”.

Finally, this kanji is used in a descriptive 四字熟語(よじじゅくご), 獅子(しし)(しん)(ちゅう) a treacherous insider.

Going simple and common again:

4 Likes

The character for middle appears in red on the 麻雀マージャン (mahjong) tile :mahjong:.

In English it is called the red dragon, along with the green dragon and the white dragon. But the use of “dragon” is apparently a western invention, and the Sino-Japanese collective term for these three tiles together is 三元牌さんげんぱい.

Next, the modern Japanese form of the character used on the green dragon:

5 Likes

The tradition form of this kanji, 發, may still be found on the green dragon マージャン tiles.
The 新字体(しんじたい) form is 発, but in Chinese it is simplified to 发.

A very useful kanji found in dozens of very common words. The 32nd most used kanji in newspapers.

Much apologies for Buddhism again, but a religious awakening may be described by the yoji (はつ)()(だい)(しん).

Living in the U.S.A., I must sometimes use this kanji as a counter for gunshots that I hear, hopefully in the distance. 一発(いちはつ) 二発(にはつ) 三発(さんはつ)

I don’t think we have done

3 Likes

This is the radical for the kanji 愛. I think it’s fairly rare for a kanji’s radical to appear in the middle of the kanji. As such, there is no common name for this radical position. It it also sometimes said that the radical for this kanji is actually the bottom part, the すいにょう or なつあし, but that seems to be wrong.

On this website we can find a list of kanji that have a certain radical, and I found only one other kanji with the heart radical in the middle: 𢜤 an alternate for 愛.

Next up:

I fixed the furigana.

2 Likes

This one is obscure enough that it’s hard to find anything beyond bare-bones kanji dictionary entries.

It means far away, and is listed in compounds such as:

• 夐古けいこ (distant past)
  • 夐絶けいぜつ (extremely far away)
  • 夐然けいぜん (far away)
  • 夐遠けいえん (far away)

Now, how about:

3 Likes

This kanji has a fairly simple construction: The semantic component is 辵 / ⻌ (“walk”), denoting movement, and the semantic component is 斤, denoting the sound. Indeed, the jōyō on’yomi of 斤 and 近 are the same, even to this day.
According to Seely-Henshall, the meaning of “near” is an extended meaning of “walk a short distance”.

In the Shuowen Jiezi, this character is written with 辵 fully on the left, and notes an older form of this character, 𣥍. However, the form with the combining form ⻌ was already in use during the Warring States period, as was another form that placed 斤 above 止.

Now, let’s go with one that I messed up on my previous review session:

4 Likes

I only noticed recently that this kanji appears as the top component of (crab). Both have the same 音読み of かい, though I don’t think WK teaches that reading for the crab kanji.

Anyway, 解 itself means untie or unravel, as well as having some indirect meanings like explanation, understanding, solve.

This character appears in the name of the 説文解字せつもんかいじ (Shuowen Jiezi), an ancient Chinese dictionary that was the first to try to break down characters based on their structure, and introduced 部首ぶしゅ (radicals) as an organizing scheme.

Here’s another kanji with the same left-hand component:

4 Likes

How is this for a nice proverb:
(さわ)らぬ(かみ)(たた)りなし
The spirit you do not approach will not curse you.

The 旧字体(きゅうじたい) form of this 漢字(かんじ) is 觸.

There are some nice descriptive expressions with this kanji related to touch, such as ()(まわ)る, to go around spreading rumors.
But there are also a bunch of words that are totally creeping me out 触手(しょくしゅ), tentacle, 触角(しょっかく), antenna, feeler. I actually really like the look of that second word, how the 角 element is repeated.

3 Likes

Dictionaries list this as old, past. WK gives it as former, which is a little unorthodox but does work well for several compounds.

The 旧字体 form is . That looks like a pretty radical simplification, but it makes a bit more sense if you see it as dropping the top parts entirely, and then changing the bottom to .

That simplification shows up in a few other 常用漢字:

• (child) from
  • (cave in, collapse) from
  • (rice plant) from

Next:

4 Likes

The only joke that I have ever told in Japanese: a man stopped me on 五条通(ごじょうどおり) and remarked at the camera around my neck. The camera was 70 years old. I held it up and said “(あたら)しい”
Wiktionary says that the left had side is a hazelnut tree, which is the phonetic component, and the right hand side is the axe that cuts it down, hence starting something new.
The “Key to Kanji” which happens to be the only book at hand right now, describes this as the large needle radical on top of the wood radical, being cut down by the axe radical, which reveals fresh wood, hence indicating newness.

Some 四時(よじ):

• 新進気鋭(しんしんきえい)young an energetic, up and coming.
  • 新陳代謝(しんちんたいしゃ)renewal, replacement, regeneration, rejuvenation
  • 新旧交代(しんきゅうこうたい)replacing the old with the new
  • 新聞(しんぶん)()(れい)announcement of an appointment that turns out to be press speculation
  • 新聞学問(しんぶんがくもん)knowledge gained from newspapers.
  • (しん)(りょう)(とう)()the coolness of early autumn is suitable for reading

I really like some of these!

6 Likes

This is a 常用漢字 that is not taught by WK. It means firewood.

According to Seeley/Henshall, this is an extended sense of the original meaning of 新, which literally meant chopping a tree. When 新 was borrowed for its sound value to write a word meaning “new”, it eventually became helpful to add the grass radical 艹 at the top to disambiguate.

(This is similar to what happened with 雲. Originally the character for “cloud” was just 云, but that character was frequently borrowed for a word meaning “speak”, so the cloud character gained 雨 at the top to distinguish it.)

Here’s another 常用漢字 that’s not in WK:

4 Likes

The phonetic part of this kanji meaning silkworm is (てん), from which the hiragana て evolved. The semantic part is (むし).
Also there is a 表外字(ひょうがいじ) form, 蠶.

The word silkworm is almost always written in katakana: カイコ.
Jisho does not list a single common word that uses this kanji. I guess the silk industry has nearly died in Japan. :frowning:
There are very many words that use this kanji that pertain specifically to (かいこ) agriculture. But here is one nice metaphorical word:

蚕食(さんしょく) encroachment, slow but steady invasion.

In Japanese, this has been simplified from 帶. In Chinese is is simplified differently, to 带. Originally, the top of the diagram illustrated hanging ornaments, and the bottom part hanging fabric. Hence an おび, a belt with ornamentation.
Now, this kanji can indicate many belt like things, even electronic bandwidth!
The 音読(おんよ)み of this kanji たい, which it lends to 滞, stagnate.

3 Likes

You picked one with the same 音読み! 待つ, to wait.

I started to try to pick apart the transitive and intransitive uses of the verb (jisho lists it as both), but I only got more confused the more I read about it, and I think I’m too tired to make any sense of it right now. I will ask my teacher tomorrow during class, and see if we can come up with an answer! If nobody else hase solved it by then, I’ll do an edit or a new post about it.

An expression I learned from a friend suddenly came to mind: 足が棒になった, so the next kanji is:

2 Likes

This has 却 as phonetic (きゃく) and our old friend 肉月にくづき as semantic, indicating a body part. Together they mean leg.

In theory, 脚 is said to refer to the leg (between the ankle and pelvis), while 足 is said to refer to the foot specifically. However, real usage seems to frequently ignore this distinction, especially with the more common 足.

Let’s look further into that phonetic part:

3 Likes

WK calls this contrary, and makes it from the history and stamp radicals. The traditional form is 卻, with a phonetic part on the left and a semantic part on the right.

It is used for words involving loss, including financial words, and many words involving cooling systems:
(かえ)って on the contrary
冷却(れいきゃく) cooling, refrigeration
売却(ばいきゃく) selling off
脱却(だっきゃく) ridding oneself
返却(へんきゃく) return, repayment
減価償却(げんかしょうきゃく) depreciation
忘却(ぼうきゃく) lapse of memory

All common words. And a nice 四時(よじ):
心頭滅却(しんとうめっきゃく) clearing the mind of all mundane thoughts

4 Likes

The semantic part of this is 冫, ice, and the phonetic is 冷, orders.
It is used in very many common words pertaining to refrigeration and cold emotions.

Some random words:
冷蔵庫(れいぞうこ)refrigerator
(つめ)たいcold temperature or emotionally
()える to grow cold
冷房(れいぼう) air conditioning
冷静(れいせい)calmness, composure
冷淡(れいたん) cold, indifferent, unkind
()やかす to make fun of, jeer at
冷戦(れいせん) cold war
冷害(れいがい) cold weather crop damage

4 Likes

It has been 静か here, the past couple days, hasn’t it? The most surprising thing that every Japanese learner should know about the word, is that it is irregular in its noun form. Where normally you can just add さ to nounify a な-adjective, in this case しずさ is wrong, and should be しずさ.

I think not very long after learning this titbit, I heard it in 約束のネバーランド shouted by one of the mamas.

Next up:

3 Likes

The traditional form is , which has and phonetic (flea). Together they mean boisterous, make noise, noisy.

The 新字体 version drops the extra dots in the flea part.

WK teaches the verb さわ, to make noise.

This reminds me of an Ace Attorney character, the lively photographer 大沢木おおさわぎナツミ (Lotta Hart). Her Japanese surname is a pretty straightforward pun on 大騒ぎ.

Next, another 虫 kanji:

3 Likes

The 旧字体(きゅうじたい) form of this kanji is 獨. On the right side of this, we have 蜀(green caterpillar), which is a variant form of 一. On the left side we have an animal, 犭. An animal alone is alone, hence this kanji means alone. Good grief.

I like how we can put a り after this kanji and get (ひと)り, usually written as 一人(ひとり).

Here are a few 四字熟語(よじじゅくご) to brighten your day:

独断専行(どくだんせんこう) acting arbitrarily on one’s own authority
毒刃貴族(どくじんきぞく) unmarried person living affluently
独立独行(どくりつどっこう) self reliance
(ひと)相撲(ずもう)fighting at windmills

2 Likes