Recommendations for japanese music

GOBLIN LAND - KANSAI SEKAI if you are into rap

1 Like

I like exploring new Japanese songs that are currently trending, but it’s too troublesome for me to do all the search. So my go to is Spotify playlists that are updated every week / every other days with new songs.

My favourite Spotify playlists:

Specific genres:

I would add any song that I like to my “Liked Songs”, and from there I’ll let my Discover Weekly do its algorithm and find me other good songs every week.

2 Likes

Nice, added to the list, thanks!

1 Like

I haven’t listened to much Japanese music, but my favorite so far is Yoru ni kakeru by Yaosobi.

1 Like

Ringing in the new year listening to 打ち上げ花火 along with fireworks outside my window.

original

3 Likes

I’m just here because I can’t have a post about modern Japanese music not have a reference to WORLD ORDER because they just make everything better ^-^

1 Like

Yes! I didn’t pay a lot of attention to them before, but they have several solid songs and are overall a fun band to check out.

Unrelated to BABYMETAL, I’ve been adding a lot of songs from shows I’ve been watching when I thought they were remotely catchy.

2 Likes

Hey, thank you very much for the wonderful recommendations! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I finally had time to listen through them and I really loved close to all of them. Do you happen to know what genre this is? This chill vibe mixed with some sounds from the 80s is really good!

1 Like

I’ve posted stuff about City Pop and find them a pretty easy way to get used to hearing the language.

2 Likes

You’re very welcome, glad you’re enjoying it! :smile:

Not sure if I have encountered an exact genre/term for this kind of music, but many of the artists I mentioned seem to be directly or somewhat related to the Tokyo jazz scene (performing at Blue Note Tokyo, for instance), so it probably makes sense to place it (very loosely) on a spectrum of jazz-pop, electronica, and neo city pop. The latter especially goes for a band like Mime (little less so with their newer stuff), and their vocalist ひかり has also done some covers of classic city pop songs with Tokimeki Records.

Others, like モノンクル, (almost) literally started out as a jazz band:

If you want an alternative way of exploring this scene, I can recommend visiting the website of CRCK/LCKS drummer Shun Ishiwaka (石若駿), who has done a ton of collaborations with a wide range of artists (scroll down to “Discography”) aside from his gig with CRCK/LCKS.

I’m sorry that I’m not really providing a good answer to your question on the genre, but I hope this at least provides some avenues for further exploration :blush:

1 Like

No, your answer was really helpful, thank you very much for taking the time to answer! I will definitly explore more in that field.

Here’s a blog post that lists 10 fun Japanese tracks that might fit your tastes! These are popular, upbeat, super-catchy songs, both J-pop and J-rock. Ten Japanese Pop Songs to Listen to on the Way to Work – Classroom as Microcosm

1 Like

I tend to listen to a lot of Japanese music from pop to rap to instrumentals etc. I’ll post some of my favorite songs for you to check out

If you want something like kpop maybe idolmaster is worth getting into. They have a lot of different units you can check out

2 Likes

I haven’t posted on a forum in years but, here goes

recently I’ve enjoyed ROOKiEZ is PUNK’D (wild name, did the music for DRRR!!), Group Inou is cool, and the album Confidential by Ogre You A**hole is very smooth :musical_note::musical_note:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.