📚📚 Read Every Day Challenge - Winter 2024 🎍☃🌲

Home Post

The Japanese history manga was good, but it’s still a little hard for me to maintain focus on it. I got through it in little spurts though. I’ll probably read the next one at some point.

2月8日
日本の歴史1pages 114-124

2月9日
二ノ国 ~1 hour

2月10日
二ノ国 ~0.5 hour

2月11日
日本の歴史1pages 125-163

2月12日
二ノ国 At least a half hour. Not sure how long. Though I did manage to rescue the cat king and went through the cutscenes from that. Need to finish up some side quests before heading south next time.

2月13日
日本の歴史1pages 164-177
二ノ国 Maybe half an hour? Did some side quest stuff

2月14日
日本の歴史1pages 178-188

2月15日
日本の歴史1pages 189-finish

17 Likes

2024-02-16

:previous_track_button: Previous | :house: Home post | Next :next_track_button:

Date Name Type Amount Time
2024-02-16 :books: 本好きの下剋上第一部1 :orange_book: Jr Novel :arrow_forward: Chapter 13
:page_facing_up: 16 pages
:hourglass: 40m

So today I switched to reading in Rakuten, got very confused about my progress in 本好きの下剋上 after a week off, and re-read chapter 13. Unfortunately, since I’ve watched the anime, read this book in English, and read the manga adaptation before, “I remember these events” isn’t a definite sign I’ve already read something.

Well, at least I read it faster this time, and got to test out the rakuten+ttsu setup I guess.

19 Likes

Jan 17

Properly formatted update later. One chapter of dungeon meshi 3, but mostly trying to figure out how to get integrated note-taking working on my tablet so I can just scribble down furigana onto images directly. Hmmm

/edit Mostly successful? However, not sure how wieldy this is. Maybe okay for note-taking and I might be able to customise it to be less weird. Will keep poking at it.

15 Likes

I read コナの大ぼうけん、だい一わ from Satori Reader.

15 Likes

:man_walking: back to my home post

:star2: 02月16日 Read: Progress:
:ear_of_rice: Japanese Folktales 1 story 2/22 stories
:teddy_bear: レンタルおにいちゃん v.3 3 chapters completed!

I finished rental oniichan volume 3! That’s one manga volume in two days. A whole volume of manga in a day is so close…I can feel it. Language learning wise this was very easy to read. I didn’t need to look up that many words, and the grammar was understandable. Only time I got a little lost was during the chapter where the Kansai-ben characters were talking, but I just let it wash over me with the general idea of what was being said. So far this is probably my favorite volume. The first few chapters were just Kanami hanging out and learning life lessons with rental oniichan and friends, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Then there were some dramatic plot developments in the last couple chapters. Rental oniichan FINALLY asked her to come live with him, which was long overdue. I still wouldn’t read this in English but my standards are lower for jpn reading. And if I read the 4th volume, that’s a series completed!

From folktales book I read Momotarou, peach boy. :peach:

Ty :grinning: It’s crazy how rusty I felt coming back to jpn reading after only a few days off, haha.

21 Likes

Home post

Feb 16

• :desert: BASARA chapter 3
    Finally got properly introduced to one of the other main characters (deuteragonist?)! Seems like Shuri’s gonna need to go through a lot of growth to (I assume eventually) become a more sympathetic character…
17 Likes

Feb. 16

I read one chapter each of 気になってる人が男じゃなかった、チョコっとちょこちゃん、 and 可愛いだけじゃない式守さん。

16 Likes

11/2 84 pages シャドーハウス (finished week 4 then read on - finished volume!), 6 pages また,同じ夢を見ていた, aDoIG だけで, だらけ and で
12/2 8 pages Spy Family, 6 pages おじさまと猫, aDoIG であろう
13/2 10 pages 舞妓さんちのまかないさん (read week 9)
14/2 6 pages Spy Family (finished mission 71), 2 pages おじさまと猫, aDoIG どころか
15/2 10 pages ホリミヤ, aDoIG である
16/2 2 pages ふしぎ駄菓子屋, 11 pages ホリミヤ (finished page 9)

This week went quite well. I’m up to date on all the manga. Ideally I’d have finished last week’s reading for the natively book clubs and caught up more with the dictionary, but I think I’m at a reasonable point.

Decided to finish the current volume of シャドーハウス to have one fewer manga to read, and I won’t allow myself to start the new volume (which is l released this week) unless I’m up to date on all my clubs except the dictionary (and making progress with that too).

20 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 16 :snowman_with_snow: :books:

・サイレント・ウイッチ VII (15% → 21%)

Couldn’t make a post last night, there was a stomach ache I had to sleep away.

On brighter news, I’m getting a better hang of the reading of long kana verbs/adjectives :3

読み方
煩わしい わずらわしい
敬う うやまう
恭しい うやうやしい
補う おぎなう
覆す くつがえす
翻す ひるがえす
営む いとなむ

I was gonna include 忝い かたじけない, but I’ve only encountered it in its spoken form recently, not written.

21 Likes

Feb 17

虐殺器官 7% - 8%

One percent at a time. I tried to finish off week 1’s reading today but I’m nearly falling asleep so I’ll add the last one and a half pages to tomorrow.

From tomorrow I’ll try and get reading done in the afternoon; otherwise, I end up procrastinating for no reason and then going to bed unsatisfied at ungodly hours. :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

Feb 17, Sat of Week 7 of Q1 2024

• DEATH NOTE Vol.12 Ch.100

• セーラー服と機関銃 : Prologue + a little of Ch.1-1 (0-4%)

• いちばんやさしい世界史の本 Ch.8 [220-225/258]

I decided to publish previous links as well, in Notion (so that I myself can read without touching the forum).

Somehow links in Notion mobile app open in Wikipedia app, that I installed a long while ago (but haven’t used for a while). I think Wikipedia app is OK. No Yomitan, though.

• Persona 4 Golden :disguised_face:

Maybe I can quick save now.

Words of the day
  • エネルギッシュ(.) = energetic
  • ずんぐり(.) = short and stout = ずんぐりむっくり. Tall and lanky is のっぽ.
  • 煙突(えんとつ) = chimney
  • (むす)()き = connection; relation. Like by doing 善隣外交(ぜんりんがいこう).
  • 草競馬(くさけいば) = local horse race. There are also other (くさ), meaning not full-blown, not official, like 草野球(くさやきゅう).
  • (たぐい)まれ = rare kind; exceptional; unique
  • 宣伝係(せんでんがかり) = public relation officer; propagandist

17 Likes

:house: home post :house:
:calendar: 2024年2月17日 :calendar:

:question: Title Read today Currently at Notes
:orange_book: Fujiki 2 episodes 19/41
:hourglass_flowing_sand: 時をかける少女 4.31% 4.31% 20 new words
:kimono: 舞妓さんちのまかないさん 1 chapter 120/261

Such a weird feeling to be Saturday and not to have any book club to read. But also so much freedom :o
Started on 時をかける少女, was looking for an easy novel after 阪急電車, and although the reviews are not very good, it was a BBC pick and has a JPDB deck.

20 Likes

Home Thread // February 17th, 2024

Name Progress State Finished
The King’s Birthday 5/7 chapters (71%) Currently reading
Aryn’s wonderful world 6/6 chapters (100%) :white_check_mark: Finished 12th Feb, 2024
Aryn’s rescue 24/24 chapters (100%) :white_check_mark: Finished 9th Feb, 2024

Ok, I read half of yesterday’s NHK Easy articles so that I have something left for tomorrow as well (totally not me trying to find excuses :eyes:). Apart from that, I also translated another chapter from the king’s birthday, and the next chapter, which I will translate tomorrow, is about the birthday itself. It’s quite funny that tomorrow’s my own birthday as well hehe, looks like my birthday’s on the same day as the king’s birthday :wink:

20 Likes

Home post

Feb 16

同じ夢 page 36 37 38 39

Feb 17

同じ夢 page 40-46

16 Likes

Feb 17

Read another chapter in the writing craft non-fiction book (EN) today. Most of the day was spent having stress/overwhelm about a social engagement I had this evening that I wasn’t sure was going to turn out well.

Well, turns out it turned out well. I had a good time, and the food at the restaurant was superb. Feels a bit like worrying over nothing, but it isn’t always smooth sailing with this particular group of people. But when your friend is turning 40 and want to celebrate with you, you don’t say no for the fact that you might have to be a wall flower (except for friend and her husband) for a couple of hours.

But me being a Japan nerd and knowing Japanese came to the rescue since we were at a heavily Japanese influenced restaurant. They even call their tasting meny Omakase. And for most items on the menu I can easily see the Japanese influence. Although not all of them. And they’re not strictly Japanese cuisine, just the main cuisine.

Anyway, long story short. Read one chapter of something, stressed for most of the day, and then had a delicious heavily Japanese influenced dinner. And it was one of those few times in my life when other people found my Japanese knowledge useful.

Happy (early) birthday, @NeoArcturus! :tada:

21 Likes

Happy Birthday :birthday: :partying_face: :tada:

6 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 17 :snowman_with_snow: :books:

・サイレント・ウイッチ VII (21% → 23%)

Just a short read today.

17 Likes

Feb 16th!
A chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san today! It was a Valentines Day chapter, so I’m a little sad I didnt read it two days earlier!

Feb 17th!
2 chapters of Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie today.

(Home Post)

EDIT: …Its February.

20 Likes

I read another article about a cat on Satori Reader.

16 Likes

:man_walking: back to my home post

:star2: 02月17日 Read: Progress:
:candy: ふしぎ駄菓子屋 5 pgs 31/148 pgs
:evergreen_tree: 小さな森のオオカミちゃん volume 2 1 chapter 44%

Ookami-chan is a nice brain break but I only need one chapter at a time. In this chapter, Ookami and friends find Stoat-san a new home so she can be close to them and hang out more.

Got back to my prose reading with fushigi sweet shop and finished the week 3 section which finishes the first chapter. It’s satisfying to read short stories in Japanese. I don’t like them in english because they’re too short but in Japanese they take so long it feels like real effort, plus you get the satisfaction of a complete story much faster than struggling through a novel.

23 Likes