📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

March 31 :snowflake: Home Post

Played some more BU$TAFELLOWS today (part of the proper reading schedule this time haha), business as usual! And with that winter is over huh; I was a bit all over the place this challenge :joy: I finished my first novel (山猫) early on, read some various manga, and played a good amount of VNs like BU$TAFELLOWS and Steins;Gate. I ended up pretty busy off and on but persisted regardless :muscle: here’s hoping the next challenge goes well too!

14 Likes

30/3 16 pages 古見さん (finished this week’s reading), 26 pages シャドーハウス
31/3 8 pages シャドーハウス, read over couple of pages おばちゃんたちのいるところ with view to finishing that story

Mostly caught up other than the latter and a few entries for the dictionary (like 22…)

I think once you reach the end of chapter 68 you will catch up.

Edit - just saw your following post, so you know what I mean!

14 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: March 31 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar :white_flower:

I had high plans for the last day of the winter challenge, but alas, I ended up just reading two sections of the new week of the dictionary club (that technically didn’t start until today (1st April) but eh). I would have read more, but my little cat was being very naughty and trying to play with some cables, so he wouldn’t let me.

I love my little Kiro boy but I really wish he’d grow out of attacking cables. I haven’t shared any pictures in a while, I’ll see about doing that soon in the spring challenge.

Overall, March was pretty so-so. Days of actually reading Japanese are fairly few, days of reading is more than not, but a lot of it is English reading, and some of that dictionary reading. And even so, I barely got anywhere with my English reading either because I spent very little time each time.

What about completely overall? Aka the whole challenge?

What did I finished during the whole challenge? 4 manga volumes in Japanese and I did some progress on BU$TAFELLOWS and Loopers. I read 13 books in English, most of them fiction, less than half of them rereads (I have not been exploring much new fiction for the past 5-10 years, and I think that is a shame). I have also read about 2/3rds of another nonfiction book which will be my second nonfiction book of the year when I finish it.

Anyway, overall I’m happy that I’m on top of the English reading. Reading 52 books in a year means I need to read 13 books per quarter. A bit sad that the majority of that was read during like one month. But if I start binging English reading once a quarter that will be a lot more often than once a year or maybe twice a year, so I’ll take it. ^^

16 Likes

I finished the レベル7 reading for this past week this morning, and yesterday after I posted I read two random 太宰治 short stories. Bad luck in that they both weren’t very good - I’ve loved everything else by him I’ve read.

Also I plan to not be obnoxious about this, but I’d like to plug the Natively Mystery book club which is now voting on the next pick! :female_detective: :dagger: :coffin: :policeman:

I admit I voted for the books I already own since I’m trying to be no-buy, but I’ll read along with whatever is picked provided it’s not a book I’ve already read.

Edit: I posted in the wrong thread :woman_facepalming:

15 Likes

New triforce blitz tournament just kicking off today, incidentally :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I’m looking forward to it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Due to extreme busyness, i haven’t posted my March summary yet, so here it is:

Home Post

What I read:

I missed 3 days completely and only managed to read 250 pages (in 28:45 h) in the whole month. :cry:

Also, I only managed to finish one book in March, and that book is 夢十夜 with 34 pages :rofl: but hey, book is book, eh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

15 Likes

Youch, so two updates, only one for now, the other this weekend maybe lol

March 22
Seasons 4/21 and 4/22

March 23
I might look up the name later but it was a manga I tried to read a year or two ago about a telepath and I did 10 pages pretty easily. Dunno if I really want to reread it though

March 24
56 pages of doujin and two pages of Seasons 3/23 and 3/24 which were both about boring flowers according to my notes

March 25
start - 29 of Crazy Diamond’s Demonic Nightmare. I decided to not finish reading it all the way through at this time. I just don’t like the story enough lol

March 26
Seasons 3/25 and 3/26 I don’t understand my notes lol

March 27
flowers? Probably Seasons 3/27

March 28
:skull: I didn’t read any books

March 29
Seasons 3/29 and 3/30. I think I missed 3/28 :thinking: I’ll have to double check. 3/30 had cool info about pollinating birds

March 30
Seasons 3/31 which had cool cross cultural comparisons about year starts/ends around the world, including even India. 30-70 of Crazy D. And various doujin pages :confused: I didn’t count it seems.

March 31
Seasons 4/1 - all about the start of the new year.

And that’s it for Winter. Hopefully I’ll have some graphs this weekend, but I have a feeling, they’ll look sad lol

12 Likes

Winter 2023 Post Mortem

It’s been a year since I started doing this challenge. While my stats for this winter aren’t so great, according to my data for the year, I am showing promise, which is nice. :slight_smile: This winter in particular had an interesting wrap up, but I hope that this spring and in 2023 as a whole that I pick up more steam, finish JoJo this year, and make my reading goals :smiley:

9 Likes