📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:spiral_calendar: Day 89: September 27th :ice_cream: :beverage_box:

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (81% ➨ 88%)

15 Likes

Yesterday I read to chapter 1 - 3 of 青ブタ9 and played Danganronpa V3 more. Read the couple of Goblin Slayer pages I could read for the day.

I could read to chapter 1 - 4, but I don’t want to hold myself to something if I don’t want to do it. I think that will ultimately kill my really high motivation I got going right now.

13 Likes

@Mushling-Dono Not sure if you saw, but the Fall challenge is now up. The link is a few posts up or right here.

I wanted to be sure you saw it. :smiley: Starting with a fresh challenge can be incredibly powerful. ^^

11 Likes

Home

Again, I meant to play AC earlier in the day, but then I didn’t end up doing so until after 10. I missed the rug-seller :( Well, they mighta still been there, since they showed up for the ラジオ体操, but I didn’t see them walking around, although tbf I only stayed on one corner of the island. I was also tired yesterday, so I didn’t end up doing much of anything, hence my not posting until today.

Ah, and I found a note in my phone from one day when I was making donations that I forgot to post. I learned that, while not spelled 遠藤, エンドウ are green peas, so yeah, everyone in おうちでごはん is named after food.

Other than that, I just read vol 28 of HQ. And, yay, thanks to the furigana, I learned that the 来 in 来よった is read き! Saw that a few times in 極主夫道 the other day and was never sure. Dunno if there’s any difference in nuance between くる and きよる though, because I saw both.

Some vocab of note:

魑魅魍魎 (ちみもうりょう) [四字熟語, noun] evil spirits of rivers and mountains. I hate how literally every kanji in that compound looks the same.
粒揃い (つぶぞろい) [noun, の-adj.] uniform excellence
神出鬼没 (しんしゅつきぼつ) [四字熟語, noun, の-adj.] appearing in unexpected places and at unexpected moments; elusive; phantom
奇才 (きさい) [noun] rare genius

Still waiting for my 相性 page to stop showing me impossible levels of compatibility, but lol me reading a bunch of 極主夫道 brought down my 相性 with my top-matched user, and we’re now below 300%. Why did me reading gksfd bring it down though and not them reading Yuukoku no Moriarty? Because I’m p sure our only thing in common is reading a bunch of HQ right now.

14 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220928 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 36.77% :pinching_hand:

Only time for a mini-read today.

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

暫時「ざんじ」ー Short while

Forms
翳 = 陰「かげ」(shadow)

15 Likes

Had intended this to be a direct reply to @enbyboiwonder, but I suspect the quoting broke that somehow. :sweat_smile:

If you are interested

Two versions of よる (which attaches to ます stem of words, hence the き reading for 来):

1. Progressive form, equivalent to the ている in standard Japanese; think this doesn’t apply to Osaka-ben so much as to the Chūgoku region/Hiroshima-ben, iirc, though, so the more likely version of it is the next one (at least for 極主夫道, given that I’m fairly certain Tatsu speaks in Osaka-ben)

2. Accusation, surprise, or emphasis. Sorta similar to ~やがる in standard Japanese.

6 Likes

Thank you so much!! I was just looking for it the other day and could not find it so this is a big help:)

5 Likes

Ah, okay, so it’s not a different conjugation of 来る (unlike 言う and I think 買う), but it is still a construction that you won’t see outside of dialect

Inarizaki are from Hyougo though iirc, which is right next to Chuugoku, so it’s possible it could be either. Especially since I don’t remember if I saw ておる/とる in HQ or just 極主夫道 (curse my decision to read them both at the same time lol). Though now that I’m aware there are two different よるs, I should be able to figure it out. Or if not now then whenever I reread lol I definitely do not understand nearly everything yet

5 Likes

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature :rofl: People apparently found it confusing to have a post which is a reply to the same person that is quoted in the post, so now (just as you suspected) whenever you reply and then quote, the reply is removed. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Home post :bookmark:

Spice & Wolf (28 → 30%)

I love it when early-morning-Glare does tasks for me so I don’t have to feel bad for not doing the tasks in the evening.

16 Likes

I know they might think it is a feature. I find it more of a bug. >_<

9 Likes

That somehow feels less intuitive to me, but Discourse be Discourse, I guess. :joy:

8 Likes

I think it’s more inconvenient now tbh. Well, at least it’s not like on bunpro forums where the reply thingie is often gone and at the same time being a direct reply (i.e no quotes whatsoever) :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I quite agree :sweat_smile:

It sure is :sweat_smile:

Anyway, though it’s not October yet I’ve been reading things for a while now and this thread will, hopefully, stimulate me to keep the pace. Today I’ve finished reading the volume of「ポケモンゲットだぜ」I’ve bought a long while ago and started reading わんわん探偵団 again. Also, read today’s NHK Easy News.
Also, plan on playing Japanese 二ノ国 again today, as I’ve been doing for about half a week now (and before that I’ve successfully finished Unreal Life in Japanese).

P. S. Sorry, the final part of this post was meant for the Fall thread; confused this one with it :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

September 28th!

Today I read half of chapter 2 of 耳をすませば.
I found it a bit hard to follow today, but I’m a bit tired and I got the gist of what was going on so I’m going to settle for that rather than really digging in to the bits that I didn’t quite get.

(Home Post)

17 Likes

September 26-28 :heavy_check_mark: :crab:

化身, 28-40%

I’m doing my best to not read ahead in 十角館の殺人, so I started the second story from 化身. This one is called 雷魚, and it has a very different feel from the first one. The author’s love for nature still shines through though. The story is about an elementary school age boy growing up in a small village, who believes he has seen the shadow of a 雷魚 [1] in the small lake near the village and is determined to catch it and prove to everyone that he’s not making things up. This is the time when rumours have spread across the country about the 口裂け女[2] . Now this is supposed to be a horror book, so I didn’t think twice about it, but I did look up 口裂け女 out of curiosity, and apparently there really was a period in Japan when everyone was irrationally concerned about her. Wikipedia says: “Rumors about Kuchisake-onna spread throughout Japan, creating hysteria to the point that young children would sometimes be accompanied by members of parent–teacher association groups while walking home from school.” That was in 1979 - unclear whether the story really takes place at that time, but it’s likely.
Now our boy goes fishing alone every day in that rather remote location, and he encounters a woman. (Putting the rest in spoiler tags in case someone wants to read the story without knowing too much. Not really spoilers though.) He’s a rational boy and doesn’t believe in monsters and spirits, but he is still wary of this woman he’s never seen before - it’s a village, everyone knows everyone. The woman is friendly and likeable, but tells him to keep their meeting a secret, so he does. When people start saying that they saw the 口裂け女 right in their village, and describe the clothes the woman was wearing, our boy wants to speak up and defend her, but he’s already been called a liar once because of the fish he claims he saw. So he keeps his mouth shut, continues to try catching the fish, and continues meeting the woman at the lake every once in a while. Very curious to see where all this is going.

The story is interesting, and it reads faster than the previous one, 化身. However, I’d really like to have finished it by the weekend, so that I can resume reading with the mystery book club - it’s the very last installment, and I don’t want to be late when everyone else will already know who the killer is!

1. ↩︎

2. a malevolent spirit of a woman who goes around with a mask and a pair of scissors or knife. She asks people whether she’s beautiful, and if they change their mind when she takes the mask off and reveals her mouth that’s slit from ear to ear, she cuts their own mouth in revenge ↩︎

19 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 48

46 - 54

Accidentally took a 20 min nap in the middle of reading, so took that as my sign to give up for the night /:

16 Likes

Sep 29, Thu of Week 1 of (post-) Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I read about half of HUNTER x HUNTER Vol.8. The anime watching has caught up again.

The author is also in the 1999 anime

Author’s travel notes (in chapters’ extra) seem to be more difficult than the manga. Not only about handwriting and no Furigana, but also vocabularies themselves.

15 Likes

September 28 :blossom: Home Post

Currently very sleepy so just counting class today, onward and upward :joy:

15 Likes

september 28 :sunflower: home post

I finished two books today! Finished 極主夫道7 this morning before class (only had the omake left so it didn’t take long), and just now I finished 耳をすませば. I was going to keep reading 耳をすませば with the club, but since I have a lot of other book clubs I want to take part in right now I decided to finish this book asap.

17 Likes