📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

September 22 :blossom: Home Post

I have no self-control so I checked out 世界の終わりとハードボイルド・ワンダーランド and it’s certainly wild so far; it’s somewhat slow going what with the start of a new book and all the philosophizing and such, but it’s definitely interesting!

16 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 84: September 22nd :fish: :sailboat:

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (52% ➨ 59%)

16 Likes

Brought Goblin Slayer with me today. I have been going through the deck on jpdb.io for over a week and a half and wanted to see how it would go and OMG. I COULD READ! haha jpdb is a really good resource if you want to learn for physical books. With Kindle you can always look stuff up with mixed results but I felt like I wasn’t just going off inference. It was pretty cool. I’m looking forward to the day I get all the words I know into jpdb and can just learn new words I don’t know.

For now, it’s morbin time!

13 Likes

Yep. The irony is that if you want jpdb to add a book they don’t currently list then you need an electronic copy so they can feed the text into their system…

5 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220923 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 34.22% :sun_behind_large_cloud:

Chapter 4 complete! Felt a bit shorter compared to the other chapters so far, time to start chapter 5!

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

逍遥学派「しょうようがくは」ー Peripatetic school of philosophy
匹敵「ひってき」ー To be a match for; to rival; to equal; to compare with

14 Likes

September 23rd!

Another long day, but it all turned out ok in the end so I’m in a much better state for reading today!
I read Chapter 23 of Happiness. My favourite character got hurt though :frowning:

(Home Post)

14 Likes

September 23 :blossom: Home Post

I ended up doing other stuff today so we’re gonna count the passage I read in class today, about robots! It all works :joy:

15 Likes

Home

I played some more ACNH, though it didn’t end up being much today. I also didn’t really catch anything today, and I definitely didn’t catch any 海の幸 (what’s it called in the ENG? Seafood? Sea creatures? I don’t remember and it’s kinda been bugging me); I mostly just donated some stuff and found Gulliver’s lost phone parts. The way he talks is really annoying, but at least he generally switches off between hiragana and katakana every word, rather than it all being in katakana.

I also read 2 more chapters of HQ vol 28 and watched はじめてのおつかい ep 10-11.

Some vocab of note:

鮮烈 (せんれつ) [noun, な-adj.] vivid; striking
サバを読む (サバをよむ) [expression, マ五] to manipulate figures to one’s advantage; to count wrongly on purpose; to inflate or deflate one’s age. Or, in this case, height. (I wonder how this came about from “reading mackerel”?)
八面六臂 (はちめんろっぴ) [四字熟語, noun] competent in all fields; jack of all trades; versatile; all-round
取り越し苦労 (とりこしぐろう) [noun] overanxiety; needless worry

14 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 85: September 23rd :surfing_man: :sailboat:

The project that’s kept me busy this week is almost complete (I think), so hopefully I can get in some Splatoon 3 extra reading this weekend.

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 7 (59% ➨ 66%)

14 Likes

:butterfly: Home :butterfly:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 48

2 days ago

Start - 14

Yesterday whoops :clown_face:

Today

14 - 18

I can’t believe Giorno jumped out a window like that. I had completely forgotten

15 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Falling Leaf Party: Date 20220924 :fallen_leaf: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 34.65% :zzz:

Wagahai-cat has no time for the troubles of humans, he just wants to sleep. But then proceeds to judge master for only managing to read a few lines of his book each night before dozing off… and he sleeps with his mouth open, such behaviour would never be seen in a majestic cat.

:chestnut: Japanese found within the acorns :chestnut:

Meowords

蚯蚓「みみず」ー Earthworm
窶れる「やつれる」ー To become haggard; to become gaunt
松風「まつかぜ」ー Sound of the wind blowing through the pine trees (new favourite word)
乳呑児「ちのみご」ー Suckling baby; baby (cradled) in arms

15 Likes

I don’t practice reading as much as I should, but I have two weeks off work now and I want to start reading a manga series consisting of 4 volumes called 足芸少女こむらさん.

I attempted to read it around half a year ago but my lack of vocabulary had made it a really effortful process, though I did work through the first volume.

I opened the book up again rather recently and could now read it with much more ease, so I’m giving it another go and want to finish the series.

14 Likes

September 24th!

I read Chapter 10 of Orange today. I had to look up way less vocab than I usually do so that was cool :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

14 Likes

2022-09-25T01:38:00Z

Well, I just finished (じつ)(わたし)は 3 today. That means I’ve read four whole volumes of manga in less than three months. That’s an improvement since I’ve started this reading challenge last year. My vocabulary is still lacking and my grammar is basic but I find myself recognising more and more kanji, especially ones that I’ve learnt on WaniKani. Reading manga is a great reinforcing tool for my memorisation of kanji.

I still have a week to go before the end of this phase of the challenge but I don’t want to start a new manga. So I’ll go back to what I used to do in my first challenge: reading anisong lyrics to the music. I wonder if the songs will be more comprehensible to me now. :thinking:

16 Likes

September 24 :blossom: Home Post

Busy again so just snuck in a teensy bit of ブルーロック for the sake of it, nothing too wild!

13 Likes

Home

Man, I was excited to get home from work today for all the reading I was gonna do, but today ended up being a bad brain day, and then the neighbors decided to have a party and blast music all evening and into the night (I definitely still heard some at 9:30, over my own music on headphones—not earbuds, which some people call headphones for some godforsaken reason when they’re not, on actual headphones—but it’s 11:20 now and thankfully all is quiet), which definitely didn’t help things, bleh

I played ACNH for a little bit, and since today the information center finished upgrading, that meant I still had quite a bit to read anyway. I hope no other day has an announcement as long as that…

I read 2 chapters of HQ vol 28 and 1 page of 明日をくれた君に.

Some vocab of note:

おのぼりさん [noun] countryside people (in town); visitor from the country; out-of-towner; country bumpkin (visiting the big city). In this case, it was おのぼりカラスさん lol
はるばる [adverb] from afar; over a great distance; all the way
秋めく (あきめく) [自カ五] to become autumnal

In the name of book clubs, I did end up getting another book haul. A third of them are current/upcoming/future book club books, and the rest, aside from the first バッテリー novel, are either single-volume stories or continuations of ones I’ve already started. They’re scheduled to get here on the 11th, so I’ve got time to finish at least a few more on my 積読 pile before then. Hopefully, lol

13 Likes

I’m technically not participating in this challenge ‘officially’ since it ended, but I just passed my yearly goal of 5000 pages read and wanted to celebrate somewhere. :tada: Last year I had the same goal and ended at 5528 and this year, assuming I keep roughly the same pace, I should end at around 6800 pages. I guess maybe now I should reframe it from ‘goal’ to ‘minimum’ to acknowledge my reading speed increasing.

For comparison in 2020 I read 2327 pages so the year over year increases appear to be slowing. I guess the next goal-type step would be 10k pages, but honestly 10k+ pages a year would be in the ballpark of 30+ books in a year and that feels like it would tip from ‘enjoyable’ to ‘painful’ unless I was purely reading light and breezy content.

25 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 86: September 24th :fish: :surfing_man:

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: からかい上手の高木さん Volume 8 (55% ➨ 66%)

spacer:tangerine: orange Volume 3 (31% ➨ 54%)

15 Likes

Sep 25, Sun of Week 13 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

I should progress a little before planning and discussing the next week (Monday).

I finished HUNTER x HUNTER Vol.7 yesterday, perhaps read about half of volume in one day; and somehow keeping consistency of at least 1 volume per week.

13 Likes

September 22-25 :heavy_check_mark: :mag:

十角館の殺人, chapter 9
Grammar: Yeah, I gave up on that. I may restart it next month? We’ll see.

So I read a little ahead of the mystery club and I’m now all done with next week’s reading portion. This was a huge chapter compared to the previous ones, but easy to read, because so much happened. I’m now seriously torn. I want to read ahead so much - there’s only a week remaining after this one, and we’re so close to the final solution to the puzzle. But I also want to speculate like crazy. I have so many theories in my head, it would be nice to take my time and try to put them in some kind of order. So in theory I should read something else this week and then read with the club again. Will I have the self-control to do that? :drum: Stay tuned to find out.

17 Likes