📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Only got through the prologue of Zenitendo last night as I had a headache and wanted to sleep early.

But I have started it and I think it’s a good fit for now.

24 Likes

August 19-23 :heavy_check_mark: :ocean:

Tugumi, chapters 2-4

Still reading every day, but prone to be distracted or fall asleep, so progress is slower than normal. Still, I’ve read three Tugumi chapters these past few days and I am now all caught up with the intermediate book club. I’ll now try my best to keep up with the mystery book club. I have yet to start chapter 2, even though I’d been looking forward to it. Holidays are a busy time… :sunny:

25 Likes

Read some of Berserk volume 9, but spent most of the day watching a lot of One Piece with some sub reading here and there.

19 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220823 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 8.65% :black_cat:

Kuroneko returns!

And master has a new guest.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

霜柱「しもばしら」ー Ice needles; frost columns
御免蒙る「ごめんこうむる」ー To receive permission (also: 御免被る)
手持無沙汰「てもちぶさて」ー Having nothing to do (also: 手持ち無沙汰)
長閑「のどか」ー Tranquil; calm; peaceful
無遠慮「ぶえんりょ」ー Rude; outspoken; presumptuous
奉呈「ほうてい」ー Presentation; dedication; gift
見縊る 「みくびる」ー To look down on; to belittle (also: 見くびる)
憚る「はばかる」ー To hesitate; to be afraid of what others might think
寂寞「せきばく」ー Lonely; lonesome; desolate
誂える「あつらえる」ー To give an order; to place an order
春慶塗「しゅんけいぬり」ー Shunkei lacquerware
巻煙草「まきたばこ」ー Cigarette; cigar (also: 巻きタバコ)

Forms
融ける = 溶ける「とける」(to melt/thaw)
顋 = 顎「あご」(Chin; jaw)
阿魔 = 尼「あま」(Buddhist nun)

26 Likes

:star2: :video_game: August 23 :video_game: :star2:
(home post)

Super Mario Odyssey :star2:
(Yesterday nothing)

SMO seems to have become my new Hotel read. The thing I do when I don’t get it together for other reading. Or I do it early in the day to make sure I get some reading. And a big bonus: I get to play one of my favorite games. I really hope there will be an SMO 2 or at least another game with the awesome movement with Cappy.

On another plane of existence (feels like), I had planned to actually read a book/manga/VN tonight, but I forgot two things: when I woke up this morning I felt like a wreck (headache, felt like I had a fever when I touched my forehead (turns out my hands were just very cold), and just general weakness), and despite waking in this condition I had some digging to do in my yard with my friend. Honestly, I felt like it took standing up and taking two steps to get my pulse to raise (not literally). (Turns out that moving some rocks and shoving spades through lawn to dig a hole is pretty darn hard work. Unsurprisingly really, but I hope I would have been able to do it a bit easier on a day where I didn’t feel like I did today.)

So I already felt like a wreck, then I added unusual physical exertion on top of that and I feel like I should have realized I’d be tired as all that tonight, but I forgot. And all the things I planned to do this evening won’t get done.

Meh. But at least, I think my body is happy for the extra exercise even on a day when it would have been happy to nap on the couch all day.

25 Likes

August 23rd!

Today I read Chapter 6 of Orange.
I’m enjoying this book so much! Its a tough but manageable read for me - the sort of difficulty where if I wasn’t enjoying the story I would be dropping it in favour of something simpler. But it’s just SO GOOD.

I love it when I find something like this that I find challenging but can still enjoy - it always feels like this sort of book is where I can really notice the progress I’m making from week to week. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Home Post)

26 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 23rd :sunny:

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (43% → 45%)

Sasuga busy day not much time or energy but for tiny read.

Today I learned that there’s a word for that:

27 Likes

A very tired day. I slept enough but still spent the day feeling like I was sleepwalking. Managed 8 pages of 十角館の殺人 - it’s actually quite easy now, I just don’t have any energy for it. I didn’t even read 天使の傷跡 despite it being the book I’m most excited about.

24 Likes

August 23 :blossom: Home Post

I read approximately a page of 十角館の殺人 just to have done something, one of those days :laughing:

23 Likes

Home

lol I got a B&N gift card for my birthday and an HPB coupon, this is definitely helping with me trying to hold back from buying more books until I’ve reduced my unread pile significantly. At least B&N won’t have any JP books and HPB is only if I get lucky. Most of the JP books I’ve found there were novels that seemed like they’d bore me. Not to mention, the same ones as the first time I checked the foreign-language section… I hope they do find a home somewhere.

I read ch 67-73 of HQ, finishing vol 8 and starting vol 9. We met Saeko (she’s younger than me now?? How is she only 21) and Yacchan! (Though we don’t know her by name yet as she literally just showed up on the very last page of ch 73.) Also I’m sad that people tend to forget or ignore how devilish Suga can be. He’s such a great character, and reducing him to the angelic “Sugamama” just isn’t as interesting. Not to mention, it does him a disservice.

lololol Hinata’s vocalization when Kageyama grabbed his face after he pissed him off in ch 67 was “ふがし,” so the between-chapter illustration after that chapter was a couple pieces of ふがし

I love how the question we see that Hinata got wrong on his lit homework actually had the answer in the question, but he still got it wrong.

無慈悲な者には、時に慈悲の心から、涙を流すことがある、という意味のことわざ。

鬼の目にも〇

The answer expected was 涙. It’s a proverb meaning “Even the hardest of hearts can be moved to tears.” The answer he put was 金ぼう lmao. I mean, that would bring tears to anyone’s eyes but. omg I’m dying. Tsukki: “「鬼に金棒」だと思ったの?? 問題文は読んでないのかな??” (And of course, 鬼に金棒, “making something even stronger,” is another expression that was used to refer to how Hinata’s and Kageyama’s skills could compliment each other, in like vol 1.)

I dunno why I didn’t consider that Yaku’s given name Morisuke could be ‘mori’ as in 衛 (まもり), but then again, I’m used to it (at least 守) being まも, and the only もり I knew was 森. But libero. Defend. Not like Furudate-sensei goes by halves when it comes to symbolism.

Some vocab of note:

過る (よぎる) [自ラ五] to go by; to cross; to bass by; to flash across
身構える (みがまえる) [自一] to put oneself on guard; to stand ready; to square off
土壇場 (どたんば) [expression, noun] last moment; eleventh hour. Its original meaning was “platform made of dirt used to perform decapitations in the Edo period.” Grim.
専念 (せんねん) [noun, する verb (自)] absorption; giving undivided attention to; devoting oneself to
取り急ぎ (とりいそぎ) [adverb] in haste. It’s noted that this is often found in letters, like as an opening phrase, so it doesn’t surprise me that the character to use this is Take-chan.
阿鼻叫喚 (あびきょうかん) [四字熟語, noun] agonizing cries. It’s written with “Avici (lowest level of hell)” and “shout; scream.” So rather, it’s the agonizing cries of someone suffering in hell. Studying certainly can be that sometimes lmao
ことわざ [noun] proverb; saying; aphorism; maxim
そそっかしい [い-adj.] careless; thoughtless; hasty; rash
現役生 (げんえきせい) [noun, の-adj.] student who passed their university entrance exams on the first try

20 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 53: August 22nd :swimming_man: :shark:

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 6 (24% ➨ 31%)

🦸‍♂️ SUPERMAN vs飯 スーパーマンのひとり飯 Volume 1 (20% ➨ 31%)

I wonder if the idea of “Superman enjoys lunch” as a concept was an easy sell, or if the mangaka had to storyboard a few chapters to get buy-in on it.

Being not a food person, I can’t really relate with Clark spending half his work day looking forward to having a juicy beef hamburger for lunch, only to see this. But I can enjoy seeing how he handles it. I’m expecting he’ll to Japan for something beef-related.

Ah, as he flies off, let’s not forget that he was also sent to buy lunch for others in the office.

Phew, the boss won’t go hungry now.

One space flight later:

However, once he goes inside…

In this world, an alien has arrived on Earth and become a savior, yet Kouichi never existed. With no WaniKani, Superman is left to suffer.

As the employee’s busy at the moment, rather than ask, Superman considers how the Chinese would have come about each kanji.

He’s almost there, but there has to be something to be absolutely certain…

Got it!

Lesson about to be learned: Just ask for it by name rather than pointing at it on the menu.

Lucky for Superman, he has the super ability to change what he wants to eat. He’s already gone from wanting a beef hamburger to wanting beef on rice, so switching to wanting pork on rice is within his super capabilities.

Even if it’s a comedy, this is still an “enjoy eating food” manga, so of course, there are the food-into-mouth close-up panels that I normally don’t like at all.

As for the pork on rice, Superman finds it’s super not bad.

All’s well that ends well.

Although I’m バットマン派, I definitely feel at one with Superman at the moment. Not for the food, but absolutely for the kanji.

(With my write-ups, I’m starting to see why a chapter of this takes me an hour to get through…)

24 Likes

I can’t believe I haven’t seen this plastered on WK before.

How’d you find this gem?

6 Likes

Straight from the comic =D

I monitor temporary freebies on Kobo, and this series came up recently.

Link disclaimer: There’s often adult content on there that I don’t know how to filter out from searches. (My brain’s pattern matching has built up to the point where I don’t even see them anymore when looking at the latest freebies.)

5 Likes

Ah, that’s very good to know :thinking: Thank you for the disclaimer!

3 Likes

Whew I haven’t updated in a whiiile (oops). But I’ve kept track of each day’s reading so long update incoming:

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 18

Finished ルーパーズ’s chapter for the week in 30 min (total 1:30), read some ビブリア (53% → 60%) and 4 chapters and a half of 青のフラッグ. Actually had lo leave a chapter in the middle for the first time since it suddenly got really text-heavy and convoluted and I was tired.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 19

Busy so only read some ビブリア (60% → 63%).

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 20

Super busy so I just read an NHK news easy article on my phone to check that box.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 21

Still kinda busy but snuck in 30 minutes of バリバリ.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 22

Back to having time. I was able to read ビブリア till the end of chapter 3 (63% → 70%), play バリバリ for 1h and read 2 chapters of 青のフラッグ, finishing Volume 5.

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 23

Read some ビブリア (70% → 74%) and the first 4 chapters of 青のフラッグ.

23 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険26

116 - 129

I really needed to go to bed or mess up my sleep so I picked bed :person_shrugging:

22 Likes

Too much work today. Fortunately I read this morning before setting off :slight_smile: Managed to finish ch6 of Yotsuba&, (9 pages).
One more chapter to go to finish my second manga in Japanese (and then there’ll be no stopping me :rofl:)

24 Likes

As predicted today wasn’t the best day for reading. I was planning to read some of Tugumi before work but massively overslept (to the point I was nearly late for an afternoon shift!).

But I managed to read back over 2 and a bit chapters of シャドーハウス so I’m nearly to the start of chapter 20.

22 Likes

Today read from p. 109-115 of よつば& Vol. 2.

Some new words

御 (ご) kanji for honourific “go”
招待券 (しょうたいけん) complimentary ticket
種類 (しゅるい) variety, type
誘う (さそう) to invite
出し (だし) pretext, excuse, front man
出来した (でかした) well done, good job

22 Likes

Started off with some fun articles from one of my favorite magazines, POPEYE. Attempting to add daily Japanese reading into my routine :slight_smile: and finding magainze/news articles are bite sized enough for my morning routine <3

21 Likes