📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220820 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 6.26% :cat:

Only time for a short read today!

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

間断「かんだん」ー Break in time; interruption; pause
反駁「はんばく」ー Rebuttal; retort

Forms
極め = 決め「きめ」(Agreement; rule)

22 Likes

Once I started reading in Japanese I invested in a good magnifying glass; it really helps my old eyes with the furigana!

14 Likes

Yesterday was my first missed day of the challenge, and I felt pretty bummed about breaking my streak before classes have even begun! Today I read p. 55-62 of よつば& volume 2, but I spent so much time and energy trying to untangle Yotsuba’s garbled polite speech that I had to stop before reaching my usual quota of 10 new words. Tomorrow is the last day of my summer vacation and will also be a busy one, but I will try to get up a bit early so I have time to get some reading in before the day gets away from me…

25 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 20th:

Almost forgot to post! I read some more 好きっていいなよ earlier today. I’m tired so this is it for today’s update :melting_face:

24 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 20th :beach_umbrella:

・ 夜が明けたら、いちばんに君に会いにいく 上

Today I randomly picked up this book and finished it. Once again, Bookwalker’s evil scheme getting the better of me. Buying the second half will help me fill the green circle.

The book was very easy to read: no complicated grammar that stood out to me, all kanji had furigana (very refreshing), common everyday vocab in a high school setting, kinda reminded me of Kagami no Kojou in a way (pages not always smack-full of text and MC feeling… 苦しい). The level of this book seems like a nice fit for the intermediate club, I think. Beginner club too maybe? Not sure about the level of these clubs anymore lol.

It was released today, both this and the second half. But two years ago it was published as one book by the same company as the one I read, but under a different label. From looking at the preview of the older version, it doesn’t seem to have any illustrations, but this one does. Also, the older version doesn’t have 100% furigana like this one.

Some of the illustrations are half-page like this:

Never seen it before, so that was cool.

As for the story, it was okay. They’re middle-schoolers (it says 中学 but the MC is 17 years old?? douiukoto). The MC somehow developed a mask dependency, so she can’t bear being around people without wearing one. The male lead is a KY (空気読めない) and is super honest about what he’s thinking no matter what. Reading this felt cathartic in a way.

29 Likes

August 20th!

Today I read Chapter 9 and 10 of Shadows House.
It pulls me in a little more with each chapter I read, and I’m really looking forward to seeing where the story goes.
I only needed to look up a single word to read Chapter 10, which felt pretty great!

I’ll definitely join on offshoot club is there is one, though I really need to stop joining every offshoot as well as each new club - my weekly bookclub commitment is getting bigger and bigger :rofl:

(Home Post)

24 Likes

Today I read the second short story in ボッコちゃん. I think from now on I should read one story every day. They are very short it shouldn’t take too much time and I will finish the book in two months.

I started the Shin Kanzen Master Reading N1 book and it’s way harder than the N2 one. Between the N2 and N3 ones I hardly noticed any increase in difficulty.

21 Likes

Home Post

Over the past few days, I’ve been reading Flesh&Blood vol. 3 (roughly one chapter per day). It’s very interesting, pretty action-packed, but there is still time to look back at some history and learn about past events in Europe and Japan. I think I’ve never before checked Wikipedia as much while reading any book (in any language) :sweat_smile:.
My original plan was to finish the 3rd volume before Spice&Wolf starts, but I’m not convinced that I will manage to achieve that as Kafka and TUGUMI are waiting for my attention as well :grin: Let’s see how it turns out.

24 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was so funny that I had to share it with my family. Somehow with all the reading I do, I’ve never thought of reading in the shower. Perhaps, it was just the thought of getting books wet but in any case, my shower can’t accommodate reading anyway. It’s a standalone shower room rather than an enclosed bathroom so there is no place to rest a book where it wouldn’t get wet.

9 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険26

21 - 33

I didn’t end up rereading yesterday’s pages, but I have the feeling I’ll probably reread this volume sooner rather than later (or more like next year), so I think that it’ll be more worthwhile to see how much easier it is to read then. I was also really tired again (accidently stayed up until 3am), but I read more than I had expected to.

25 Likes

i had trouble falling asleep last night, so after tossing and turning for a bit, i grabbed my kindle and started reading the third volume of the やが君 LN.

it picks up quite a bit later, Sayaka’s in her second year of uni. so for the first time in this series we don’t actually know what’s going to happen. and she’s got a girlfriend! or at least there’s a girl she refers to as 彼女. which of course can also just be a 3rd person pronoun, but they’re in an animated conversation about feelings, with lots of gazing into each other’s eyes. and the girlfriend is all like 「だから沙弥香のことが大好き」and Sayaka is like: and half-way through the second year, i confessed my love to her.

but of course, this is just framing. we move back a bit, summer of her second year, she’s met this first-year student, ハル. though Sayaka is perhaps a little overly formal, and insists on using her surname. ハル has her own apartment and is super happy with it, which kind of stuns Sayaka, who totally wouldn’t want to leave the comfort of her home (a traditional japanese house). i think ハル is perhaps a bit of a manic pixie dream girl, not my favourite trope. in any case, ハル is definitely flirting with Sayaka, who’s perhaps being a little naive about it, in particular about ハル inviting her to her apartment…

but in any case, Sayaka seems to be happy, for pretty much the first time in the series. or in the manga. her voice feels much more lively.

it’s a strange thing, how on the one hand i’m really still struggling to read. 10 pages an hour is a good rate for me. but on the other hand, i can feel the emotions in the voice. fun times :smiley:

23 Likes

Home

Went to Kinokuniya for an early birthday present and bought 11 books, so now I’m gonna have to be responsible and read even more before I buy more books. Though, granted, 3 of them are JJK LNs that I’m not gonna read for a while anyways, but still.

買った本

I actually found every volume I was missing of よつばと! except for vol 11! And I got lucky with JJK 0 actually being the novelization because uh I didn’t realize that until later (I forgot what the cover looked like and I’m blind and didn’t see the “ノベライズ”) and I forgot I’d ordered 0 through TOM with my bday coupon (still dunno whether they actually have it or not though, and if it takes like 6 months to even be shipped like last time, I am going. to die.), and even though I’d made a note of it in my book list, I didn’t see it. So yeah.

They did have Blue Period too, but not the first volume, and I was already buying quite a bit too, so I decided not to get any this time.

And I think buying this number of books wouldn’t have cost much more than ordering them on Amazon because shipping, so I guess the price markup isn’t that bad as long as you’re buying in-store. Dunno what their shipping is like on the US site, but I doubt I’ll be using it.

Update 08/22: Actually, I had recently ordered all 7 of the re-release volumes of リベロ革命(レボリューション) off Kinokuniya JP since Amazon JP doesn’t have most of them for international shipping and Kinokuniya only had 1 or 2 copies of each of them, and today they finished the process of verifying the stock and getting them together and shipping them, and the total was just under $60. I dunno what the shipping would’ve been on Amazon so I dunno which would’ve ended up being cheaper, but the books themselves were a little cheaper on Kinokuniya. But those 7 books + shipping cost about half of these 11 books, so, hm. Yeah, the markup’s a little…

Very tired today, so I only read ch 58 of HQ.

26 Likes

August 20 :blossom: Home Post

Not as tired as I was yesterday when I forgot to change the date :joy: but I still put off reading until pretty late so not a whole lot, but I still finished off the first volume of クールドジ男子! Seems to be my go-to when I don’t have brain energy for anything else :laughing: It’s very fun and cute, and all the art is just so nice to look at. Good times :grin: but hopefully tomorrow I can get some more substantial reading in!

21 Likes

I managed four more pages of Yotsuba& today, I think that’s all I’ll get time for, work starts again tomorrow, and so much to do before then…

21 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 51: August 20th :crab: :diving_mask:

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 1 (62% ➨ 70%)

spacer:tangerine: orange Volume 2 (29% ➨ 49%)

spacer:page_facing_up: orange Volume 1 (0% ➨ 2%)

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 6 (0% ➨ 10%)

Something new today: I’m trying out reading the orange novelization to see if I can build stamina at reading without pictures. For this, I’m using the icon :page_facing_up:, as opposed to the manga where I’m using :tangerine:.

25 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 21st:

20 pages of 好きっていいなよ! I think my WK leeches are slowly going away… I’ve been working on them for a couple weeks now with no new lessons, but I am getting bored. I think it’s time to start learning new things.

23 Likes

Aug 21, Sun of Week 8 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

For Hunter x Hunter, actually I finished Vol.2, but that isn’t enough to catch up with anime. (Currently finished EP.17, and the vol 2 is around half of EP.14.) I would continue to watch the anime, but not decided for the manga.

I picked up March Comes Like a Lion, and I like the drama (or the storyline). Finished only Ch.1 so far. The article at end of Ch.1 is readable so far, but I might have to look up persons later. I need to look up several vocabularies at the third half of that page.

I also purchased Spice and Wolf Vol.1. This one is OK to read, but a little troubled by the shear length (almost 50 pages in Ch.1). Finished the prologue, nonetheless. There might indeed be an “interesting” factor, but I would need to take a taste first.

TUGUMI isn’t dropped completely, might be read later. But probably not Night Cafe, although I might re-read the first vol.

I installed Wikipedia app on my mobile Android, and made it randomize Japanese articles. They are usually somewhat difficult to read for now, but the browsing experience is good.

Grammar-wise, I have bought Tobira. I should have an older version of this one, but I have lost it. It is easier to do than the grammar workbook directly, or output prompt workbooks.

22 Likes

Today: p. 53-84 of よつば& Vol. 2.

Newish words

ごそごそ with a rustling sound, rummaging
がらがら with a clatter, with a rattle
我が物顔 (わがものがお) looking/acting like you own the place
わざわざ taking the trouble to…
特別 (とくべつ) special, extraordinary
選ぶ (えらぶ) to choose
あんまし it’s not very…
内緒 (ないしょ) secrecy
着陸 (ちゃくりく) landing
恐ろしい (おそろしい) dreadful
鬼 (おに) ogre, demon

Today is the last day of my summer vacation! I will have to make some serious adjustments to my study schedule in the coming weeks, but I’ve found from past experience that I won’t know exactly what will work until I try it. I’m hoping to read at least a little every day until the end of August.

24 Likes

Haven’t been updating recently because I’m still playing Persona 3 Portable xD same game different day. Though, yesterday was what I am now labeling a “Brain Rot Day” where while I might be doing stuff in Japanese it neither moves me forward or backward. In this case I was just doing Tartaros until I reached the limit, yes there was some reading, but it was stuff I either didn’t need or didn’t care about. But I am still doing that.

23 Likes

Hoping for an offshoot club too.

Yesterday I read over half of Spy x Family mission 6.

Today has been bad work wise (was awake for a lot of the night on-call then slept till midday and straight to work). Getting home I’m really struggling to focus. So I’ve looked at the start of シャドーハウス volume 2 just to read something with my very tired brain.

24 Likes