📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

Oh noes! :cold_sweat: Get well again soon please! :face_with_thermometer:

Home Post

This week, I took a very short break from Flesh&Blood to read the first chapter of 博多豚骨ラーメンズ (because I needed to decide whether I want to buy more of it while it’s on sale) and it is soooo good :grin: Some things are exactly as in the anime, some are a bit different, and we get much more background information on the characters early on, which makes everything much deeper and more logical for me. So - as you can probably imagine - I bought a few more volumes :sweat_smile:

I went to a super cool and super chill music festival from Thursday to Sunday, where I planned to chill and read a lot while listening to music or hanging out at the lake they have on-site, and they announced that they’d offer solar-powered charging stations for everybody, so I didn’t worry about bringing lots of backup energy for my cellphone (with which I read digital books) nor about bringing paperback books. Of course the charging stations were lost in transition on some highway or whatever, so they never materialized at the festival site. Which I only discovered when I actually needed them :woman_shrugging: Before I reached that point, I managed to read some Tonkotsu Ramens on Thursday (on the train), and I read a lot on Friday - at first I finished off Tonkotsu Ramens (edit: chapter 1 :sweat_smile:), then switched back to Flesh&Blood. But as there were lots of people with lots of mobile devices on this site in the middle of nowhere, I would regularly lose my Internet connection, which Bookwalker doesn’t like. To mitigate this, I switched to reading Kafka which @Myria thankfully converts into PDF and shares with me (I usually prefer to read the book on paper but it was convenient this time). And then, my batteries reached a serious level of emptiness :cold_sweat: so I could not read on Saturday at all. Which means that’s my first missed day for this challenge - and I must say for a good reason, as it was a pretty interesting experience to be without cellphone and internet for about 2 days while at the same time having lots of great music and scenery around me. No regrets :grin:
Today I went back to reading Kafka as the turn of events has been absolutely exciting, and I am soooo curious how it will continue! After that I’ll go back to Flesh&Blood which also starts to hint at some interesting plot twists…

23 Likes

Today I finished the first volume of よつば&!

I will admit that the last few pages made me cry.

I’m glad I have another volume to start right away and 11 more volumes on the way.

Some new things:

拾われっ子 (ひろわれっこ): adopted child, orphan, foundling
またまた: there you go again
騒ぐ (さわぐ): to make a racket
おかわり: seconds, another helping
畳む (たたむ): to fold (clothes)
干す (ほす): to air, to dry
育つ (そだつ): to be raised, to be brought up
ズブズブ: drenched
平気だ (へいきだ): it’s ok!
無敵 (むてき): invincible

20 Likes

Oh yeah I almost forgot you were planning to move house today! How did it go?
And for @Memoria as well!

Wow, I’m impressed! Great to see how much your reading speed improved :blush:

Well, now that you’re comfortable reading Kafka along with the club, why not set up a new challenge? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Whoa! Picture pleeez? :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

I went reasonably well! We managed to move all the big furniture as well as most of the stuff I packed to the new place and actually put it back together again so I had a place to sleep, even! :joy:

Today we got the last of my things. Now I just have to finish unpacking… And wait for my new bookshelves to arrive! :sparkles: And I need to buy like, half a new kitchen. :see_no_evil:

18 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険24

90 - 191 (end)

This fight between Pet Shop and Iggy is so amazing. It really stands out with the lack of dialogue as it seems either Iggy and Pet Shop can’t understand each other or Pet Shop is super quiet. The action really comes across well.

It makes me wish I could get this

It’s beautiful in person. The owner of the SPW Bar showed me his, although idk if he found room to display it in his bar.

It’s so expensive and big though, I’ll just have to cope with this button I already have
and a tiny acrylic stand I can’t find online lol
also a neat little figure that can’t stand on its own

Also enjoy a small Iggy

Ah, I’m also learning a lot about falcons that I didn’t know before too, like their air sacs! I was an avid Animal Planet watcher as a kid, so I thought I already knew most of the interesting stuff.

Wow, I had forgotten how that fight ended. That’s so intense!!

… is he skipping?

Would you believe that it took me all day to post this?

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220807 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 0.57% :hole:

It’s amusing how so overly dramatic this cat is.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

肝心「かんじん」ー Essential; important; vital
「わら」ー Straw
竹垣「たけがき」ー Bamboo fence
頸筋「くびすじ」ー Nape of the neck (more common as: 首筋)

FORMS
疋 = 匹「ひき」 (Small animal counter)
容子 = 様子「ようす」 (State of affairs; circumstances)
這入る = 入る「はいる」(to enter; to go in)
邸 = 屋敷「やしき」(residence; estate; grounds)
口惜しい = 悔しい「くやしい」(Frustrated; annoyed; disappointed)

OTHER
食物「しょくもつ」(foodstuffs) is given the furigana of「くいもの」though くいもの is more common to see as 食い物 now

It also gives the furigana for 隣家「りんか」 as just となり

Replies

This looks pretty helpful! There’s some audio recordings of I am a Cat, these’ll be good for some additional listening practice. Thanks for sharing! :smile_cat:

Hope you feel better soon!!

23 Likes

Typo for かんじん, or is this Soseki throwing in an obscure variant?

7 Likes

Ahh, I’m sorry! I was so wrapped up in my own stuff, I completely forgot to ask about your move. :upside_down_face: Sounds like it went well, though, and I’m glad! I’ve realized over this past week that moving really is stressful. I hope your bookshelves arrive quickly so you can get rid of all the boxes that are probably lining the walls of your new home. :sparkles:

12 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 7th :beach_umbrella:

There were a few votes in the poll and Honzuki 10 won, so I started reading that. Thanks for helping me choose what to read! :durtle_noice: I must have forgotten how fun Honzuki can be, I had a great time reading the prologue.

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (0% → 5%)

I’m very curious about how fast I can read this book. It is twice as long as most of the Kekkon books and I won’t have as much time for reading now that uni stuffs are starting up again. So will probably take a few weeks, is my prediction.

@NicoleIsEnough I’ve seen you share decks from jpdb across a few threads, so I decided to try it out. It’s been 9 days since I started and it’s kinda addictive, not gonna lie :joy: I probably spent more time on SRS than reading today. It’s also fun how at one point, 20% of Kekkon vocab = 80% coverage across the series. After that there are just a ton of unique or low-frequency words. I mean, look, it’s currently
at only 33% vocab and not even 90% coverage! o: Stats are fun.

25 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 7th:

8 pages of 好きっていいなよ. Still fun! and interesting. Can’t wait to have more time to read again!

22 Likes

It was a typo, completely missed that! I’ll go fix it. Thanks for pointing it out!

Went back just to make sure it wasn’t some Soseki-brand obscure variant, and yeh:
ItsKANJIN

Definitely かんじん

11 Likes

I do wonder with the furigana whether they’re all put in by the publisher, or if Soseki himself had any input. The aozora texts don’t seem to have any. I suspect the new-kanji-and-kana-usage editions may have had extra furigana from the publisher, certainly.

6 Likes

Oh no, don’t worry about it - I sort of hid that info in a little word, after all. ^^ The bookshelves should be delivered within the week, actually! I’m looking forward to the sorting process, haha.

Moving really is quite stressful, from the packing to the actual moving to the unpacking… :joy:

Have you finished unpacking already? I have to admit it’s not just the books that are left in boxes here… :eyes:

6 Likes

I just found something in Google Books which says that when Soseki’s それから was first serialized in the Asahi Newspaper, the word 長椅子 was printed in the Tokyo edition with the furigana ソーファ but in the Osaka edition with furigana ながいす !

9 Likes

Some of the furigana here seems to be on pretty common words, I found the same with No Longer Human. I’d question that some seemingly common words would have furigana and then odd kanji I’d never seen before wouldn’t have any.

It’d be great to see the original manuscript, see if the author did have any input on what gets furigana’d (and to what extent). Though if the Tokyo/Osaka editions varied I guess most of it’s at the discretion of the publisher for whatever audience they’re marketing for.

7 Likes

Wikipedia has an image of two pages of the manuscript – no furigana at all as far as I can see. The 1930s ‘complete works’ edition that the Diet Library has electronically archived has furigana on every single kanji.

7 Likes

August 7th!

Today I read Chapter 31 of Mitsuboshi Colors. I didn’t have much trouble reading it grammar-wise, but I felt like I had to look up more words than I usually do! Maybe it was a bit more text-dense than usual.

On a semi-reading related note, I had big plans to get loads of reading done tomorrow as I’ll be dogsitting at a friends house - but I decided to go to the supermarket to buy some stuff for lunch today, and as I walked there I discovered that the Commonwealth Games Road Race route went almost right past my house (all of the road closure notices I’ve been ignoring suddenly made sense :sweat_smile:) and it was due to start in 15 minutes.
So my five minute walk to the shop became an impromptu four hours spent watching that instead.
In good news, it was way more fun than I expected! I was going to just watch them go past in the first lap - but ended up staying for all ten.
In bad news… I was dressed for a 5 minute walk to the shop, not 4 hours in the sun, so I am now horribly sunburnt - not sure how much reading I’ll get done tomorrow, because right now I’m sore and a bit nauseous!

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Summary Post

August 7th
What did I read?: 猫には猫の猫ごはん Vol 1
How much did I read?: 25 pages
How long did it take me?: 19 min

Yuki did indeed get a bath today.

It went pretty much how you would expect xD

But look how shiny and clean he came out!

Replyyyy~

I do know it exists! Although you wouldn’t know it from my presence (or lack there of) in the threads xD I’ve been meaning to go through and read all the spoilered stuff for the last two chapters, so this is a good reminder :+1: I’m generally not the best at actually discussing things I read though tbh haha, it stresses me out a little bit in a weird way that’s difficult to explain - not to say that I never enjoy doing it but it just takes a little more mental space for me to do it and I’m running a bit short on that at the moment :sweat_smile: I did order the rest of the series yesterday though, so hopefully I’ll pop in at some point :joy:

23 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 6
:confetti_ball: 1 0 0 % :confetti_ball:

8月7日
Chrono Trigger

This game is much longer than I thought it would be, that’s awesome. It keeps delivering over and over. I’m not sure how much I have left but now I’m not so sure I’m at the end :joy: . Doesn’t look like I am at least and I’m not disappointed at all about it, the more hours left the better if it keeps this pace.

23 Likes

Finished the first Azumanga Daioh! @lucylavelle since you said you were interested. There are definitely more parts that leave me confused or not too impressed by certain jokes, and I think I might just prefer manga that isn’t in 4koma format, but this is still charming. Wrote a little natively review

21 Likes