📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

I really need to get around to doing that. We only studied about two-thirds of the textbook in class. That was in, uh… 2013…

5 Likes

Quick report for the official end of the challenge:

On 29th and 30th I read さくらえび and finished it, so there is one thing less on my plate, finally!
On 31th I picked up 殺人出産 from the Murata book club. I had 3 weeks’ worth of book club reading left over, and so I read those 3 weeks and finished the book.
Now my Bookmeter statistics is happy :slight_smile:

For the challenge itself: I basically read every day anyways, so it was not much of a “challenge” for me. But there were 2 or 3 days where I might not have read due to general busy-ness, but this challenge pushed me to at least read a page or two. So that’s definitely a win! Also, I enjoyed keeping track of my reading here in the thread (although I only ended up reporting my status about once per week or so).
I think I might continue reporting in this thread as long as there are a few others around, to keep up the fun a little bit longer :wink:

11 Likes

A happy statistic is the best statistic.

I don’t quite feel like letting go of this thread either yet…
I already had a good reading habit going, but I managed to focus my attention more on not bookclub related reading during the challenge. :blush:

To the detriment of my bookclub reading, but let’s ignore that for now. I’ll find a balance eventually. :muscle:

12 Likes

Teasing Master Takagi-san v2c2 complete. Punchline was lost on me during the reading as I had to look phrase テスト範囲外 up and connect the dots.

8 Likes

Thanks again for making this! It’s been the motivational push I’ve needed to get into a reading routine.

It’s been fun, and I’ve learnt a lot! It feels like I’ve made actual progress with reading and recognition, even if some days I’ve been questioning if I’m unlearning English. :rofl:

Everyone’s made great progress - I don’t know how some of you manage to read so much in a day, but congrats to everyone who has reached their goals!

I’ve still got until the 12th so I’ll be updating my log each day. Gonna try to keep reading each day afterwards too.

Also, @windupbird, you’ve convinced me (and I’m pretty sure many others here) to pick up that shark manga! :shark:

11 Likes

It has become tomorrow :eyes:

During this challenge I have finished 4 books (two of them I started before June 1st) and 21 volumes of manga. (Thanks to a bunch of manga being for free for a limited time period on BookWalker!) I’m also 75% through Tsumetai Misshitsu with the book club, 70% into Honzuki 5 and 35% into Rezero 1. (Almost forgot to include, I finished YuruCamp 8 during the first week with the book club, too.)

Among the goals I set at the start, I didn’t finish YagaKimi 7 and 8 nor Urara Meirochou 2 as those ended up on the bottom of my list of priorities. And as expected, Honzuki 5-7 also ended up on the back burner. Was more of an extra challenge… until the sudden change of plans when I decided to binge-read manga instead, hehe. First time I’ve read 3 vol of manga in a day - I take that as a sign that my reading speed, comprehension and stamina has improved. Wiii :partying_face:

I don’t know what my previous record was, but I finished SAO 7 in 11 days. (Will need to know for next summer.) Which means I still got some way to go until I can match the speed of the senpais I mentioned in the first post :eyes: Is going to get busy, but will try to keep on reading even if I won’t post every day. Want to finish those books I’ve started, after all :3

I wish I had stats of how many new words I’ve learned, would’ve been fun to see. (I keep fantasizing about having stats for everything, but would be hard to keep track without some kind of ever-present software to do that for me :caught_durtling: #sci-fi )

14 Likes

I’m so happy people found this thread motivating :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

Just read the first chapter of おにコロリ.

Then 20 pages of いこくい!! - かざりとエリーの放課後★異国ごはん a manga about two girls writing for a magazine about foreign cuisine.

11 Likes

Main post

Day 56 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 10.

Day 57 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 11.

Day 58 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 12.

Day 59 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 13.

Day 60 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 14.

Day 61 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 15.

Day 62 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 16.

I’m back! I finally got time to squeeze in an episode a day while on vacation, though I was really sleepy some of those, and this series being a bit more challenging than the ones I’ve read so far didn’t help :sob: . But my stubbornness of not wanting to fail the streak kicked in and I got it done anyway. The vacation was great, it’s been a great week.

Congratulations to every one of you that is done with the challenge :confetti_ball: :tada: . I’ll see you in the next one! As for myself, I’m still on my way to 75 days, so I still have a bit to push through :sunglasses: .

12 Likes

Summary post

Day 62: August 1st Almost put July 32nd lol whoops omg this date is even more off now, why
What did I read?: 囀る鳥は羽ばたかない Vol 1 and しまなみ誰そ彼 Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 9 pages and 32 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: 30 min and 51 min

Omg, why is Saezuru harder than like every other manga, like…look at the difference in time per page. :weary: (/whining) I’m already intrigued, though now that I understand what’s going on lol. And the second volume of しまなみ誰そ彼 is starting out good as well - finally found out who the heck that was at the end of volume 1. And the interaction between Tasuku and Tsubaki…maybe I’m naive but it would make me so happy if the feelings turn out to be mutual, they so cute. But idk, I feel like I don’t have a good enough read on this manga to be able to predict what will happen with that.

Yessss :shark: :shark: :shark: :shark: :shark: :shark: :shark: :shark:

12 Likes

Home.
For the 1st of August I took a much needed break from reading.
Today, the 2nd of August, I wanted to try make some progress on my backlog of Takagi-san volume 1, so I decided to try read a page or so, and then I read 7 finishing chapter 8. Only 1 more chapter to go for volume 1 (+/- a bonus chapter) and I can call it done.

I’m not going to try reading every day as I think that might wear me out a bit, so I think I’ll be trying something like a “read most days / enough within reason” challenge. Maybe it will even become a “read a few days every week challenge”. Only time will tell.

12 Likes

Main Post

I was able to finish reading through Polar Bear Café volume 4 yesterday, but was too tired to post an update, so I’ll do it now. It’s a good feeling to be able to read through a series and understand enough to continue reading. There’s definitely some chapters that are more difficult than others. For now I’m trying to not dwell too long on a sentence and just move on. Either it will make sense later or I can return to it later if I feel it is necessary. Wanna say having takoboto on my phone for quick looks during reading has been great, as I’m able to return to reading without too much distractions (I do tend to not rely too much on it).

Anyway was able to read for another month on consistent basis. I’ll go back through my remaining Yotsuba volumes starting today I think.

13 Likes

Well - here we are in August - I managed to get to the end without missing any days. Best day of the challenge (I think) I read an entire volume of Love so Life - can be a relatively words manga, so proud of that. Worst day(s) were usually 2-3 chapters of Chi’s Sweet Home - usually I intended to do 1, but gave myself another once I started reading because there’s relatively little text.

At the end, I’m leaning into continuing the light novel I started - I suspect it will be difficult the whole way through, but I know I’ll learn a lot (and there are plenty more volumes I can pick up if desired).

Thank you @Redglare for organizing this - it’s definitely kept me on track this summer. Even if I don’t get much else done, I’m now up to 2 Japanese things in the day - WK and reading will happen.

14 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 61

Read half of chapter 15 in 僕はブルー!Meant to read the full chapter, but the story went a little off main course and so I had to learn a bunch of new words about missing children and related statistics.

I officially caught up with the full number of days. Still got a bit to read, and wanna see how long I can keep the streak from here on, so I’ll see you guys again tomorrow!

12 Likes

In my case I always think “oh whatever, I’ll post tomorrow” and then tomorrow when I finish reading I’m too sleepy to post again… and then I suddenly I need to post several days at once.
Or I’m too embarrassed about the amount I read, so I want to compensate next day to make it look better, and then it also doesn’t work :stuck_out_tongue:
So today I’m posting during the reading break.

Anyway. Congratulations to everyone who participated during the original schedule :confetti_ball: you’re all awesome :confetti_ball:
And very much thanks to @Redglare :balloon:

Summary post

Day 34
July 29

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (44% → 48%)

Day 35
July 30

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (48% → 49%)

Day 36
July 31

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (49% → 53%)

Day 37
August 1

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (53% → 54%)
12 Likes

Today I finished reading (around 50 pages) the trail edition of the いこくい!! - かざりとエリーの放課後★異国ごはん manga. They even tell you, how to cook some of the foreign dishes. Reading the manga just made me hungry.

9 Likes

I ate something and felt awful since second half of the day. So instead of rereading earlier chapters of Forbidden Scrollery (2), I read bonus 4 koma .

10 Likes

Summary

I’m not worrying too much about daily updates anymore but figure I’ll keep going in this thread at least until I finish NO.6!

Yesterday was a good reading day - I read 2 chapters of ハイキュー (they were great chapters, really gave me the “man, I just love this manga!” feeling and it was hard to stop there!) It made me glad that we’re now moving faster in the book club, it’s such a pleasant read. Also read another 5% of NO.6 - I had to check the book club thread after reading to check that I wasn’t just getting really confused and the lead character really was hearing talking mice - but it turned out that my understanding was correct and this book is just real strange hahah. It’s so much fun to read something where I have no idea where the story is going to go, even if it does mean I’m sometimes confused!

Today I had to work for over 9 hours so definitely didn’t have that weekend reading energy! read another 2% of No. 6, might read a little more before bed, might be too sleepy. My slow reading speed is so frustrating when I don’t have much time to read because I’m dying to know what happens next! So impatient lol.

11 Likes

Main post

Day 63 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 17.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 63: August 2nd
What did I read?: しまなみ誰そ彼 Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 118 pages (4 chapters - finished the volume)
How long did it take me?: 2 hours 25 min

well that did not end well
omg, I still don’t have volumes 3 and 4 because I couldn’t get new copies from Amazon and had to order used ones through this proxy thing :cry: I want to know what happensssss ahhhhhhh
I wonder if Misora will come back :frowning: I’m worried… I really liked getting to know Misora throughout this volume, and I thought the sibling dynamic between Misora and Tasuku was really sweet and cute. Unrelated, but I almost died at the end of chapter 8, I can’t believe that guy was Tsubaki’s dad of all people. :grimacing: And then it comes up again at the end :grimacing: :grimacing: Oh boy.

I have to say, the fireworks festival chapter was extremely pretty~ The art in this series is really beautiful.

10 Likes