📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 13

The weekend is so much harder to schedule time in to read. Today almost tossed my off track! Almost!

I read half of chapter 6 in カラフル. This chapter is winding down from the previous chapter’s drama. Same as yesterday, I circled the words I didn’t know but kept moving. I fully intend to go back and look them up, and plan on posting here with my favorite words after!

10 Likes

Started reading Forbidden Scrollery manga. I didn’t feel to read much today, so went just through 3 pages. After that I watched LP videos.

Phrase of the day: 心当たり, idea as in “心当たりがない” – “i have no idea”.
Word of the day: つるはし, pickaxe

Courtesy of マイクラ借金返済物語 series which definitely were inspired by Kaiji (ざわざわ). Main mods are caveworld+MCeconomy and protagonist wears Cave Story skin. This LP has some twists like that player can’t place blocks.

9 Likes

Summary post

Day 13: June 13th
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 2 chapters (53 pages) - finished the volume!
How long did it take me?: 1.25 hours

Well I found out what Kotone’s damage is today xD I’m really interested to see how her character progresses though, I hope she will be able to work out some of her internal Issues :tm: Ch. 10 felt like a lot to unpack, so I was kind of glad that Ch. 11 took a turn back into wholesome happy café times for a bit. I feel like I’m speeding through this series haha, but I really like it. I know the book club is still reading it but I’m probably just going to keep going through at my own pace tbh :sweat_smile: I feel like that’s working better for me at the moment. Not like I’m that good at participating in book clubs anyway :grimacing:

14 Likes

Today was a very lazy Sunday with a touch of productivity. Very nice. :blush:
I read a little bit of bookclub stuff, some more of 異世界行ったらすでに妹が君臨していた話。, which feels almost like an hommage to the Disgaea games. All the characters are super ridiculous, and then there’s the mc who got thrown in there who’s just… Abnormally normal. So I’m having fun with it.
Then I, of course, had to start the first volume of 妖怪の子預かります, because there’s a sale going on and I want to decide if I like it enough to commit 積ん読 again. :upside_down_face: 2 chapters in so far and things are just starting to pick up. I like the writing and atmosphere so far, but I expected nothing less of this author.

12 Likes

Happy Sunday. Focused more on textbook time today, because I try to do that on weekends, but read another folk tale today for about an hour (?) - うらしま太郎 - I’ve always thought his decision to open the box from the princess was dumb. But, of course, folk tales are usually to teach a lesson, and curiosity killed the cat/listen when people tell you not to do stuff is a classic.

Hoping to get to some manga before bed for a more fun/relaxing read. I enjoy the folk tales, but longer sentences can be a bit rough. Still - hit my goal on actually reading 2 short stories. Will probably persist in trying to read a few more of these - not planning to finish the whole book in the short term - too many other things to read.

9 Likes

June 13. Time: 1 hour. Manga Pages: 4
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 7, Page 11-14
Found one of my leeches in this sentence:
今、二人で一つの傘使ってるこの状況ってなんて言うんだっけ。

Just now, two people are using one umbrella, what is this situation called, remind me.// It’s a pun to word 相合傘(あいあいがさ) aka “love umbrella”

The leach is 状況 condition, still in master stage, why it’s a problem? Both kanji have meaning condition, the second kanji has phonetic reading of きょう, the first kanji is じょう because it is Journ who put this poor dog into this condition. The ways of the mind are mysterious :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Yesterday I read some pages of the あさこ manga vol.1.

Today I read a graded reader about kimono. Now I also want to wear a kimono but I’m really clumsy I would probably manage to destroy it. But putting a kimono on and wearing it seems to be really hard. There is so much to look out for.

12 Likes

I didn’t do an update yesterday but I did read some Naruto. Today I intended to open bookwalker to take a look at the sample for 黒子のバスケ (a friend has started teaching me basketball on Sunday mornings which made want to read it or slam dunk and slam dunk doesn’t seem to have a digital version)…anyway, I’d left ボ−イズ open from last time and was like “well, while I’m here I might as well read a bit of this!” aaaaand then ended up reading 3 chapters & finishing the first volume, woops. Would continue to reccomend, it’s a real fun read. I’m going to try to finish a few of the other things I already have before buying the next volumes but who knows how long my self control will last…

13 Likes

Summary post

June 13

・Read 2 subchapters of Subete ga F ni Naru. (81% → 85%)
・Read one chapter of Honzuki 5. (17% → 21%)
・Read one chapter of YagaKimi 5

Unrelated bonus: Tried to solve a 1000-piece puzzle for 10 hours straight and still not done :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

Not so unrelated: I realized I can easily add words I’ve been looking up while reading by looking at the history of the searches in the app I use. I use Jsho, it works offline and keeps track of the 30 most recent lookups.

15 Likes

Wiki post

June 13 Update
Another day to keep up with book club reading. Today’s chapters were ch. 14 - 16 from 日常 and ch. 7 from からかい上手の高木さん. Took less than an hour for both of them, and I mostly read for context based comprehension. I’ll probably finish both next week, assuming I can get up the motivation to read them quickly again.

Decided to just finish からかい上手の高木さん since I only had a few pages left. It’s a cute book, but I didn’t get into it as much as I would have liked to, so I’m glad it’s done.

12 Likes

Missed two days because nothing was jumping at me. Picked up a volume of Pokémon Adventures today. Read a random chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen too from Amazon Japan. Each sample for a volume is at least one chapter.

9 Likes

… I was kinda inspiredtipsy on Friday night and ended up writing 2000 words of “plot”. Half of which are about an onsen sequence with Senpai. After all those years complaining about cliches like that. There isn’t a single dragon involved in the plot either. I have become the monster.

Anyway, I ended up reading about 80% of かくりよの宿飯 3 over the week-end. It’s still cute, but boy, it’s 50% the MC cooking and 30% other characters commenting on the food. Why is everyone a skilled food critic?

12 Likes

Main post

Day 13 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episode 18.

Another rough and stressful day, but luckily since these episodes are fairly short it’s relatively easy to push through. I’m so engaged at this point there’s no way I let myself break the streak already :muscle: (of course I will if I need to but I hope it doesn’t come to that).

Extreme Summer 2021 Challenge: make a 1000-piece puzzle of your reading material and read it afterwards; can’t check the day otherwise. :smiling_imp:

You probably know already, but have you checked out Takoboto? Many people including myself like it and I’m not sure how long exactly the search history goes, but mine seems to exceed way more than 30 words. Can export to Anki, save custom lists, etc. I’m not aware if it can be used offline though!

I’m mentioning this because if I remember correctly I didn’t like the Jisho android app myself but this one has been my go-to for bilingual dictionaries on the phone.

12 Likes

I also use Jsho and like it very much! Probably you know already, but if you’re making the eventual cards in anki, jsho does do that directly? If you’re not using anki, never mind. :grin:

@Naphthalene Did you write those words in Japanese??

3 Likes

Nah, it’s all in English (kinda, many parts are more like bullet points than actual sentences; there are a few ??? remaining in places where I had no idea) . I was thinking that I may write the actual story in Japanese, but that was just written as a way to organize my thoughts and plan the actual story.
Upon closer inspection though, I’m not going to write that story at all (I guess), so that won’t happen either :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

English or Japanese or whatever, that’s cool! Wanting writing to exist and even poking at making it exist is awesome. :black_heart:

8 Likes

So far, today I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News articles.
  • Some more はたらく細胞 light novel. Reached page 35.
10 Likes

Main post

Finished reading Yotsuba volume 7 over the weekend. It’s a great volume, with lots of amazing stories. Definitely one of my favorites so far just like volume 5, although found volume 7 to be much easier to read. Started reading volume 8 today.

chapter 47

Lots of banter with Yanda, it’s very good. Entire chapter has some nice faces, so it’s an easy recommendation to read.

chapter 48

Closing chapter of volume 7, the farm is a wholesome place altogether. Yotsuba learns a lot here while taking charge. Such as sheeps hit back hard. Like how dad is just as happy and energetic when it comes to animals lol.

chapter 49

I love the little start where dad wants to crack an egg with one hand and fails. Has good continuation from last chapter’s farm trip, with the chapter cover being a photo of yotsuba with the horse they were about to meet. Liked her conveying the info to the ayase mom. Cute and wholesome chapter.

Had to look up some words, but wasn’t too bad. Good start of the new volume.

14 Likes

Home post

I just got back from my long weekend road trip, I managed to keep up with reading everyday although reading less each day (sometimes just a single difficult panel).

Friday June 11th 高木さん chapter 4 page 4 panel 1

Saturday June 12th 高木さん chapter 4 rest of page 4

Sunday June 13th 高木さん chapter 4 page 5 panel 2

Monday June 14th 高木さん chapter 4 rest of page 5 (panels 3, 4, and 5)

10 Likes

omg, I would need 40 hours a day :rofl:

Never heard of Takoboto, but sounds like a great recommendation :grin: I don’t use Anki (anymore) though, and if the app doesn’t work offline I prefer using Jsho. The names are similar, but I think Jisho is a different app.

@valkow Cool to hear that you like it too! Anki got a bit too complicated for a non-techie like me with all its customization and stuff :sweat_smile: So now, my go-to SRS program is Koohi. Even if the book I’m reading doesn’t have a vocab list on there (yet), I can still add words through the Reader :book: → Search function, so that’s what I’ve been doing :slight_smile:

9 Likes