📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

In my case I always think “oh whatever, I’ll post tomorrow” and then tomorrow when I finish reading I’m too sleepy to post again… and then I suddenly I need to post several days at once.
Or I’m too embarrassed about the amount I read, so I want to compensate next day to make it look better, and then it also doesn’t work :stuck_out_tongue:
So today I’m posting during the reading break.

Anyway. Congratulations to everyone who participated during the original schedule :confetti_ball: you’re all awesome :confetti_ball:
And very much thanks to @Redglare :balloon:

Summary post

Day 34
July 29

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (44% → 48%)

Day 35
July 30

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (48% → 49%)

Day 36
July 31

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (49% → 53%)

Day 37
August 1

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (53% → 54%)
12 Likes

Today I finished reading (around 50 pages) the trail edition of the いこくい!! - かざりとエリーの放課後★異国ごはん manga. They even tell you, how to cook some of the foreign dishes. Reading the manga just made me hungry.

9 Likes

I ate something and felt awful since second half of the day. So instead of rereading earlier chapters of Forbidden Scrollery (2), I read bonus 4 koma .

10 Likes

Summary

I’m not worrying too much about daily updates anymore but figure I’ll keep going in this thread at least until I finish NO.6!

Yesterday was a good reading day - I read 2 chapters of ハイキュー (they were great chapters, really gave me the “man, I just love this manga!” feeling and it was hard to stop there!) It made me glad that we’re now moving faster in the book club, it’s such a pleasant read. Also read another 5% of NO.6 - I had to check the book club thread after reading to check that I wasn’t just getting really confused and the lead character really was hearing talking mice - but it turned out that my understanding was correct and this book is just real strange hahah. It’s so much fun to read something where I have no idea where the story is going to go, even if it does mean I’m sometimes confused!

Today I had to work for over 9 hours so definitely didn’t have that weekend reading energy! read another 2% of No. 6, might read a little more before bed, might be too sleepy. My slow reading speed is so frustrating when I don’t have much time to read because I’m dying to know what happens next! So impatient lol.

11 Likes

Main post

Day 63 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 17.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 63: August 2nd
What did I read?: しまなみ誰そ彼 Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 118 pages (4 chapters - finished the volume)
How long did it take me?: 2 hours 25 min

well that did not end well
omg, I still don’t have volumes 3 and 4 because I couldn’t get new copies from Amazon and had to order used ones through this proxy thing :cry: I want to know what happensssss ahhhhhhh
I wonder if Misora will come back :frowning: I’m worried… I really liked getting to know Misora throughout this volume, and I thought the sibling dynamic between Misora and Tasuku was really sweet and cute. Unrelated, but I almost died at the end of chapter 8, I can’t believe that guy was Tsubaki’s dad of all people. :grimacing: And then it comes up again at the end :grimacing: :grimacing: Oh boy.

I have to say, the fireworks festival chapter was extremely pretty~ The art in this series is really beautiful.

10 Likes

Home. August 3rd read the 5 pages of the bonus chapter from からかい上手の高木さん (1).

11 Likes

Read all of chapter 15, and a little of 16 in 僕はブルー. I have 10 pages left until the book is finished!

I wonder what I should pick up next?

11 Likes

Continuing posting while I’m reading for the next day, seems to be working so far.

Summary post

Day 38
August 2

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (54% → 62%)

I started something “new” today, that is, not a new series, but a new manga volume. Bungou Stray Dogs volume 21 just got released, so I’m catching up.
I watched the anime (with English subtitles) until the 3rd season, then read the manga in translation until I was up to date, then read new chapters in Japanese as they came out, but gave up after a several months and decided to wait for full volume releases instead. Especially since I was buying whole magazine digitally just for this one chapter.
Also read (in Japanese) a spin off manga series and three accompanying light novels.
All in all, BSD is too difficult for me, but it’s something I’m not willing to give up :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m waiting with rereading older volumes in Japanese until I’m better, though. But with shiny new content, I don’t want to wait. But the amount of things I need to check is ridiculous sometimes :grin:

11 Likes

Main post

Day 64 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 18.

Alright I’m really starting to need a break :joy: Only 11 days to go, we good.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 64: August 3rd
What did I read?: 君には届かない Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 51 pages (2 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 25 min

And we’re back to this series~ This volume feels a bit more serious in tone than the first volume :thinking: But I so called what happened in the first chapter of this volume. I knew it.

11 Likes

Started to read Forbidden Scrollery(3). My guts still want to jump out, so including all title pages, I got only to 8/185 pages, 4%.

As it’s just the beginning, not much happened yet beside youkai being spooky.

11 Likes

Home August 4th read 3 pages from からかい上手の高木さん (1) chapter 9, only 13 pages to finish my first manga volume =O =O =O.

12 Likes

Today I finished ぼくはイエローでホワイトでちょっとブルー, and it was really, really good.

For anyone interested in reading it: each chapter is divided into three parts. The first part is typically info dumpIng/setting context, and then the following two parts are usually stories from the authors life. Personally I think this book has helped me to look more confidently at Japanese news articles, because it uses so many political terms and statistics.

As for this whole challenge: In the process, I was able to finish 2 books! Before, I had barely finished a couple of manga (oh my god there is a huge gap between よつばと! and 僕はブルー :flushed:) My speed has increased, my vocabulary has increased, and so has my confidence. Another cool effect is that now I can set times goals! Before I had no idea what was too little or too much.

You guys are all awesome, and I’m gonna keep the habit going and posting here until we start the next thread :kissing_smiling_eyes::sparkles: Though, I think I’m gonna give myself something less challenging to read next haha

14 Likes

Yesterday I first read the first chapter of a manga but it was really gruesome so I will refrain from mentioning the title. I don’t like violent and gruesome manga I prefer cute positive manga.

After that I read the first 30 pages of それでも彼らは嘘をつく. That seems to be a romantic manga.

Today my book order arrived. I want to finish reading everything in the picture until the end of next year.

11 Likes

Forbidden Scrollery(3), 3 more pages quite heavy on dialog about youkai of different levels of spookiness. 送り拍子木 was referenced.

8 Likes

Summary post

Day 39
August 3

• 文豪ストレイドッグス21 (ch90, ½ ch91)
  • 不可解なぼくのすべてを5 (¾ ch23)

Cool achievement :sparkles:

For me main problem with timed goals is that my efficiency is highly dependent on my mood and I’m absolutely unable to predict how my future mood will be. And the disparity in how much I can achieve is just so large, it’s frustrating, because I love plans. :confused:

Now I’m curiouuus :musical_score:

9 Likes

Okay if I you really want to know. 黒い瞳は赤に染まる-Snow White

To something more pleasant, I read 55 more pages of the first volume of それでも彼らは嘘をつく manga. A really cute school romance manga, this one I can definitely recommend. The manga is not that easy but still fun to read.

7 Likes

Main post

Day 65 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 19.

Didn’t feel like reading today at all, but I’m stubborn to complete the 75 days. I don’t even know why, I could’ve let today slip, but part of me knows that if I give in one day, it will be really hard not to give in the following days. Once I fail, I’m prone to failing repeatedly afterwards. I’m so sleepy tho.

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 65: August 4th
What did I read?: ねこねこ日本史でよくわかる 日本のお城
How much did I read?: 6 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 12 min

I was in a weird mood today, and I kind of wanted to read something that would even out my emotions rather than potentially disturb them even more. So I decided to read about castles instead of continuing 君には届かない xD

If you are wondering why the heck it took me over an hour to read 6 pages, it is because this book has a) bigger pages than your average Japanese book and b) a lot of words/info on each page. It has some nice pictures though! And all in color. I think it’s meant to be a kid’s nonfiction/educational book (like, what are those kinds of books called…I used to read these types of books all the time when I was younger. Kind of like Eyewitness books, I guess, only with more cartoon cats). But I like it so far, I’m not that knowledgeable about Japanese history so it’s interesting.

I also learned a great word, 豆知識 (まめちしき) - trivia (but literally a bean of knowledge, why is that so cute :heart:) Also, I forgot to include this one from yesterday, but I love this word too: 上の空 (うわのそら) - inattention; absent-mindedness.

11 Likes