📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Summary post
July 19 Wasn’t particularly busy, but didn’t get myself to read until late evening? :thinking: If not for this challenge I’d probably not read anything today :caught_durtling:

・Read 冷たい密室と博士たち, ch. 6, part 2. (38% → 40%)

13 Likes

Summary

Yesterday and today I just continued to read NO. 6. I’m a little ways into the 2nd chapter now and things are already getting interesting! These two days reading have felt a little bit more challenging than the first few days reading this. Both days I ended up reading up on new grammar/sentence patterns that I hadn’t come across before, and yesterday I had to read through the end of the first chapter twice because the first time round I was somewhat confused as to why some things were happening. One nice thing though is that I went into that reread expecting to have to painstakingly breakdown sentences to figure out what I’d missed and then just kind of found that the second time through I understood a lot more without a need for that. It’s nice when your brain works stuff out for you!

11 Likes

I need to stop bingeing this manga. Just got a bunch of flashback/backstory episodes from the male lead, along with some minorly dramatic realizations in their relationship that led to me reading 2.5 chapters last night (and staying up rather later than usual), then going ahead and finishing the volume (another 2.5 chapters) this morning. Still wanted to know what was next, and spend my afternoon reading another 4.5 chapters. At ~6 chapters/volume, and ~30 pages/chapter… well, volume 11 is about 3/4 done and I did a lot of reading today.

Definitely had harder to understand stuff today - looking up more words and grammar points than usual - flashbacks had a lot more narration type writing, which is decidedly trickier for me. It didn’t help that I was invested in the story, so found myself looking more things up to make sure I was getting the details right, where I might have skimmed a bit more on less plot-heavy chapters. I think I need to read some more narration type writing (so, you know, books, instead of manga) to practice this more…

11 Likes

Only if you catch a bug/fish, so I’m not trying to actively translate those sentences. The rest of the game is very doable luckily :blush:

9 Likes

The vocab is standard, not a lot of kanji in the dialogues and that throws me of a little sometimes, but for the most part it is random chitchat with some more difficult words at the owl, but those are words that you will frequently see when you talk to him (words like donation).

7 Likes

Ohh that’s really helpful to know, in that case I might bump it up my list of things to play =D
I think I’ve only played Animal Crossing back on the DS so my memory of the dialogue isn’t great (beyond remembering being scammed by Nook, naturally).

What’s kind of funny to me is that before WK I would have considered a kana only game to be a blessing, whereas now it is something of a curse, I guess that means WK is working?

\o/ random chit chat \o/
Awesome, one of the things that Mario lacks is normal dialogue, characters conversing are usually talking about an objective, or giving the minimal story elements, so having a game where there is more ‘chatter’ sounds really helpful for reinforcing that every day vocab.

and since I’m here, quick update time.
Home post - July 19th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 7 - pages 9 and 10.

9 Likes

Main post

Day 49 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 3.

I see :sob: I guess that’s part of the problem that I have with FFXIV too. You can read at your own pace when there are dialogues between quests, duties and such, but when you’re doing something, the text flies away crazy fast and there’s no way I’m catching anything of the battle dialogues or pointers. One of the biggest reasons I don’t play it in Japanese is actually because I don’t want to kill my party because I don’t know how to read something :joy: most enemy spells have a fairly quick cast, and I simply can’t read katakana or kanji at that speed. Not to say that if I need to explain something to somebody or them to me, how are we going to communicate? “Avoid so and so when they cast X” … “when they cast what :')” . So I end up putting it in Japanese, playing around for a bit solo, then back again to English after a short while because I’m extremely overwhelmed.

Same :joy: I can’t read full hiragana now, gimme that kanji.

8 Likes

Summary post

Day 49: July 19th
What did I read?: しまなみ誰そ彼 Vol. 1
How much did I read?: 38 pages (1 chapter)
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 16 min

Quick/boring update today, since reading this took way longer than I thought it would :sweat_smile: Still very good though

12 Likes

1Q84 Book 2: 38 Pages, 1hr 35minutes.
Read about twenty pages, was close to the end so decided “Ah screw it, just read it til the end” and finished it off.
Man, this book series is so damn interesting. I went ahead and bought the rest of the series after I finished it so I have the rest of em to look forward to.

13 Likes

Reading the Novel version of Coco is going along noicely.

12 Likes

Home post

July 20th. Wow what a day!

TL;DR からかい上手の高木さん 9 difficult pages (and a few trivial / picture-only pages), this is a lot at least for me.

Longer version of my abnormal day

The longer version is that I didn’t get to sleep until 2am and then at 5am a nasty tooth ache woke me. I took the day off work to see a dentist, thankfully it looks to have just been my gum (?!?) and there is nothing wrong with the tooth, but after all that and only a few hours sleep I wasn’t feeling up to work even after the pain subsided.

I decided to instead spend what was left of the afternoon on the balcony reading and trying to relax a little so that today didn’t feel like a complete write off.

Reading からかい上手の高木さん, today all up I read the final 6 pages to finish chapter 7, and started chapter 8 )reading pages 2, 3, and 4). I then wrote out the next 5 pages to make tomorrow smoother.

I timed myself for part of it. Reading the last 6 pages of chapter 7 took me 1 hour and 40 minutes. This included writing out and breaking down every line by hand in a notebook. I didn’t time the rest, but I’d guess in the realm of 2.5 - 3 hours total today, although a lot of that was me being inefficient.

This means I’ve met my stretch-ish goal of finishing chapter 7 before the volume 2 offshoot club starts. Although now I’m a few days early… so I’m going to see how much of the remaining chapters I can squeeze in, or at least write down.

EDIT: I finished chapter 7 in 4 days =O

14 Likes

Yesterday I read 13 pages of 使ってはいけない日本語, finishing chapter 3.
I also read the remaining pages of chapter 6 and chapter 7 of 1Q84. :partying_face: Commencing catching up!
Then I read the free manga recommended in the extensive reading thread, ルックバック. I really, really liked it. Not gonna lie, I cried. Really good.
And then I read SとN, which is an actually very cute BL manga. Much appreciated after the roller coaster that was ルックバック.

What can I say, it was a slow day at work. :joy: Today’s log is going to be much shorter. Or at least contain less books.

14 Likes

Extremely tired today, taking a nap didn’t help and feel only worse, as result read only 6 pages of Forbidden Scrollery(2). Well, actually it was 2 pages and 4 pages with no text to be honest, but whateves, I managed not to break the streak. I might lost the count for the streak, but I didn’t break it.

13 Likes

main post
Today I finished the first volume of the 聲の形 manga. What should I read tomorrow? Maybe that pervy manga. Shouko is so cute I would totally hug her. I’m sorry but cute things are my weakness. All this bullying made me really sad. Why can’t people be nice to each other?

9 Likes

I think I’m done reading for today, so I’ll do today’s log on the day! :smiley:
Today I read a bunch of manga! Volumes 3&4 of 異世界妹 (the 電子版, which are only around 80-90 pages each), and chapters 1&2 of volume 1 of かしましめし, which is about food, and enjoying life or making life bearable by enjoying food. It’s actually nice so far. The art is kind of… Flowy? Stylish? I like it. :slight_smile:
I also read a chapter of 1Q84. 3 more chapters until I’m caught up again. :muscle:

12 Likes

Summary post
July 20

・Read 冷たい密室と博士たち, ch. 6, part 3-6. (40% → 49%)

^From yesterday
Bookwalker app told me I was at 40% in the book when I left it yesterday, but at 43% at the same location when I continue reading today? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: This is the third day in a row that the percentages have been inconsistent between sessions :durtle_stabby:

12 Likes

You must be reading too fast, bookwalker just can’t keep pace! :muscle: :grin:

8 Likes

Summary

Today I was so exhausted before I even started reading and so it was difficult zzzzz. I read another 3% of NO.6 (which according to my rough maths based on page numbers listed on Amazon is around 6 or 7 pages) and I really wanted to keep reading as I was half way through a really interesting dialogue but could barely keep my eyes open. I will be back for you tomorrow, conclusion of interesting dialogue!

Something else that’s semi-related to this challenge (well, reading at least). When I first started learning Japanese, I had some spare audible credits so I downloaded the Japanese versions of harry potter 1 & 3 (if I knew then what I know now about some of JK Rowling’s views about trans people…maaaybe I wouldn’t have but at the time I was just like “oh hey I loved these books as a kid and they are available on UK audible”) Even though when I got them I pretty much could understand nothing, up until now ive usually put them on for half an hour when going to sleep at night (when I wouldn’t have the energy for.more active listening anyway). And then yesterday night I put it on and after a bit just kind of realised “oh wait, this is understandable content now?”. I listened to some more on a walk today and yep, while there are obviously some words I don’t get, on the whole it’s gone from “this is just pleasant noise with some names I recognise” to “I can follow along comfortably and get most of this”. I’m probably helped by having read them in English as a kid but still it feels very cool! I’m not sure I’d reccommend my method of “just listen to things even if you understand nothing”…but it does make for some fairly fun comparison lol.

14 Likes

I keep thinking HP might be a good way to eventually branch out into books rather than just manga, and that reading along with the kindle version while listening to the audible version might aide in looking up unknown words, but… eugh Rowling. I’m not yet sure how to resolve these conflicting feelings.

That’s amazing progress!
I’ve previously grabbed some shorter Japanese audiobooks (e.g. some version of the wizard of OZ?!?) to try this with, but I haven’t been able to stick with it enough to know if it actually works.

I feel like I’ve forgotten most things except for the major plot thrusts and some random moments I presumably found particularly interesting as a kid.
Do you remember most of the details from your reading as a kid?

6 Likes

Main post

Day 50 :ballot_box_with_check:
Satori Reader: Secret, Episode 4.

Day 50, let’s go. I go on vacation for several days starting on Monday next week. I wish to keep reading one Satori Reader episode a day, which would just take 15 or 20 minutes at night, but I also don’t want the challenge to get in the way of my enjoyment of those days. So whether I find time to keep the streak from breaking will depend on how tired or relaxed I end up by the end of each day. But the idea is that if I can, I’d like to keep reading :relaxed: I’m sure I’ll find 20 minutes at some point.

11 Likes