📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Summary post

Day 52: Today I read 4 pages of よつば&!which got me to the end of chapter 4, and then I read 4 pages of ツバサ Reservoir Chronicle.

13 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 22 Today was a day of big waiting, so a tiny bit bigger amount read than usual
・Honzuki 6. (65% → 69%).

14 Likes

Hi everyone. I’m going to stop doing the challenge. :confused: My boyfriend came back from a trip the day before yesterday and tested positive for covid. :frowning_face: So everything feels like a lot right now.

I think also I’ve reached one of those intermediate humps, and my Japanese spark has dimmed a bit, so I need some flexibility in order to figure out what will make it all sparkly again.

I’ll still be studying every day and also reading a lot, I hope. And I’ll most likely be hanging around here lurking because I like you all. Just quietly bowing out of the challenge aspect.

14 Likes

Summary Post

October 22nd
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 継続 = けいぞく continuation.

Hey that’s fine! Priorities are priorities. Besides, not only we’re very much reaching the end, but also everyone who joined is a winner in my eyes regardless. You read a bit more than before joining the challenge and that’s what’s important. As a suggestion, what I’m doing is tracking the percentage of completion as a visual prove that I completed something, whatever the result. I had 100% in the summer challenge, but I won’t be able to get 100% in this one because not only is unrealistic to do every challenge perfectly but because, again, life happens, and you have to take care of yourself, in my case taking days off. Perhaps you could track your percentage and use it as motivation for the Winter one? :slightly_smiling_face:

Well done :trophy: .

12 Likes

Take care! < hugs >

All the best to your boyfriend, you, and you figuring out a way to make your Japanese spark get back to being sparkly. :sparkles:

And remember to be gentle with yourself if you won’t manage to do that for now. :raccoon:

9 Likes

awww we like you too. Completely understandable. For the last few years, including this year I have done no WK lessons AT ALL between September and December because its my busy time of year at work. So while I’m managing to keep up my streak here, I’m also neglecting that side of study. Sometimes Japanese does just have to take a back seat to life,

8 Likes

That makes total sense and is something we all have to do sometimes. No matter how much you love or enjoy learning something, sometimes life is enough that you need to be kind to yourself. Good on you for being able to identify that you need to adjust things before burning out :slight_smile: As @fustian_garb & others have said, if the challenge period has led to any reading that you wouldn’t have otherwise done over this period, even if it’s not actually every day, then it’s a win in my eyes. Hope things get a bit easier soon!

8 Likes

:heart: Totally understandable! I am definitely no stranger to having to put some part of Japanese on the backburner due to life. Sometimes, for your own mental well-being, you just have to re-prioritize and readjust. Everybody else already said so many nice things that I 100% agree with, so I won’t be too repetitive but I did want to say you’re definitely still welcome to hang out here as much as you’d like, even if you’re no longer actively doing the challenge - we like having you around too :hugs:

10 Likes

Main Post

Finished the last chapter of volume 1 of tanuki. It was really cute way to end summer and I saw the next volume is the start of autumn. :eyes:

It went much better than I expected. The little furigana that was added is either for names or mostly for words I already knew but are usually written in kana. Funny how that works. While tanuki is the main draw of the manga, other characters also look very good and age appropiate. There is one chapter where tanuki meets German foreigners and that chapter kinda sticks with me as they switch between English, German and Japanese. It’s basic enough that I can read it, but there’s no aid or translation, so I don’t think it was intended for most people to follow and also be kinda lost/awkard like the protagonist.

I’m gonna start reading volume 2 tonight. Saw that there are bunch more chapters on the web, so that makes me think volume 3 is probably not that far off. :raccoon:

16 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :waning_gibbous_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211023 :: :waning_gibbous_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day LIII: この音とまれ! pg.101-107 & ほら吹き男爵 チーズの島 :cheese:

6 pages today!

Read today’s worldtale, from Germany, about an island made entirely out of cheese in a giant sea of milk… I guess whoever wrote it really liked their cheese. Everything is made of cheese: the trees, the rocks, the houses, and he eats it Mmm, cheesetree

Whoa… there is a cocoa hot spring?! and now a wine hot spring?? And you get to choose from white, red and rosé… then it just… ends. I am so confused as to what just happened, I swear, whoever wrote this was hungry before bed and had some mad fever dream about cheese.

~ New Words ~
男爵 (だんしゃく) - Baron, and 男爵芋, is an Irish Cobbler potato.
長旅 (ながたび) - Long trip
ぶどう酒 (ぶどうしゅ) - Grape wine, seems like a more specific word for ワイン.
ふわり - Softly (onomatopoeia)

@rikaiwisdom happy birthday!! :partying_face:

Take care of yourself and take the time you need, and all the best for your boyfriend, hope he will recover quickly!

Pretty sure this thread will be continuing in another one or in some shape or form, so there’ll be something here when that spark has become sparkly again :sparkles:
Also, feel free to notify us of any more cute things you find so we can give you likes :raccoon:

14 Likes

Home post

Day 52:

日本語: I read a fair amount of 伯爵と妖精 21, a bit of パノラマ島綺譚, and some of 魔王城でおやすみ.

中国語

中国語: I read 春游.

12 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 23 Unbusiest day of the semester
・Honzuki 6. (69% → 80%).

@rikaiwisdom Happy birthday! :birthday: :tada:

13 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

What did I read:

:heavy_check_mark: Day 43 (10月 21日) :sparkles:
歴史366 ,2 stories, 10 min. I still have so many to catch up to, since I didn’t take the book with my while I was away…
:heavy_check_mark: Day 44 (10月 22日) :sparkles:
暁のヨナ, chapter 43. once just a simple read-through (30 min!! this chapter is insane), and then once again, to mine for words and fill the vocab sheet :dizzy_face: i think this was one of the most dialogue/monologue-heavy chapters so far, it took me almost 2hours to write everything down and translate into english in my head…
:heavy_check_mark: Day 45 (10月 22日) :sparkles:
暁のヨナ, chapter 43, bookclub read-aloud

京河さま
愛犬が知らせた山くずれ
ほら吹き男爵 チーズの島 , the last three daily stories Zakarius posted, thank you, they were so much fun to read!!! I love this website so much :pleading_face: , ~25min.
the last one had me laughing, because… wow… all these descriptions, and the moral of the story was that?

Words, from ヨナ ch43:

取り乱す とりみだす =to be upset;to lose one’s composure; to be flustered
逆賊 ぎゃくぞく =rebel;traitor;insurgent
覇道 はどう =military rule
餓死寸前 がしすんぜん =being on the verge of starvation
九死に一生を得る きゅうしにいっしょうをえる = to narrowly escape death [ goo, etymology ]
日も浅い ひもあさい =it hasn’t been long so; it wasn’t but just a short while ago… goo
必ずしも かならずしも = (not) necessarily; (not) entirely

words from stories

川原 かわら = dry riverbed
可愛がる かわいがる =to love;to cherish
衣ころも = robe
神々しい こうごうしい =divine
慌ただしい あわただしい = busy;hurried
すそ =hem ;bottom (of a kimono);train (of a dress)
茶臼 ちゃうす = grinding mortar (hand mill)
纏う まとう = to be clad in; to wear
雨乞い あまごい = praying for rain
潜ぐる くぐる = to dive (into or under the water

14 Likes

I hope you both stay safe, take care of yourselves!! health is always priority! Hope your boyfriend is well too…
Don’t worry about the challenge, we can’t help it when these things happen… remember to celebrate your wins, always, no matter how small, and don’t be strict with yourself! :pleading_face: :hearts: I feel you about the dim spark, kinda in a same headspace here the past couple of weeks, but still, look how great we’ve all been doing so far? imo, that’s amazing… :raccoon: :four_leaf_clover:

10 Likes

oooh, I just had a little Google of this book and it looks really cool! Would you recommend it? Would quite like to know a bit more about history and had been thinking about getting one of the ねこねこ日本史 books but this also looks like a good option. (Not that I need to add more to my to read pile haha)

5 Likes

Summary Post

October 23rd
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 周囲 = しゅうい surroundings, environs.
  • 範囲 = はんい extent, scope, range.
  • 防ぐ = ふせぐ to protect against, to prevent.
  • 幻想 = げんそう illusion, fantasy, vision.

It’s getting much easier to consult J-J dictionaries. I have vague memories of opening the definition of many words and almost having a stroke barely understanding anything. And for some (or many) words, it is still like that, but for many others not anymore; either I can read the whole definition if it’s short, or just miss one or two words. And well, it’s a day and night difference, consulting translations of a Japanese word to an English estimation, and actually checking what exactly it means. I’m very happy about that.

Yuuuuup. Definitely, I get the same feeling. It’s crazy that this challenge is (for most (all?) of us) coming to an end already. The beginning was hard for me this time around, getting used to the daily schedule again and the updates and all, but once I was established it hasn’t been a burden at all. I guess reading things that you’re genuinely interested in is a massive help. I will need to find more things for the Winter one :relaxed: . But honestly, no wonder you guys have converted many people with all your updates with cute stories and pictures. I’m sure it won’t be an issue to find more stuff to read. This is developing into a very casual book club at this rate :joy: . And I love it.

Dammit, sneaky and traitor little cake emoji !!!
Thank you guys :heart:

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 53: Today I only read 4 pages of よつば&!I was sleep deprived and didn’t have the brainpower for ツバサ Reservoir Chronicle, lol

11 Likes

Oct 20th: Started Demon Slayer vol. 2, but I was too lazy to read with a dictionary, and so I did not get everything and need to re-read. (Also because I want to collect ALL THE WORDS)

Oct 21st: Was too busy to read :cry:

Oct 22nd: Read the week’s 小川未明 children’s story (Beginner club).

Oct 23rd: Read the prologue and a bit of the first chapter of 横浜買い出し紀行 (Intermediate club).

Aww, come ON! :rofl:

Wow, that’s excellent news!
And great you managed to get voice recognition software to be helpful for you! (Also for programming - wow!)
BTW do you know LipSurf - WaniKani Voice Dictation. Review while you eat, do chores, etc ? Haven’t used it myself but maybe it helps you get more up to speed with hiragana typing?

:tada: It was an extremely long chapter as well, so this is nothing to sneeze at, really.

Well, that’s not that simple actually - of course the sentences sound a bit more like child-talk than what you’d expect from a real book, but you have many of the elements of “real” Japanese sentences already. Is this level 2?
(Also, funny how katakana still does me in Every. Single. Time. :rofl: “Why is he getting 20 figurines for his work?” - “Oh no, it’s not figurines, it’s dollars” :woman_facepalming:

:grin:

They are part of my big Anki deck, so I can export them and put them into a Google sheet, no biggie. The only drawback is that I still need to complete the cards for about 40 words, but I’ll do that as fast as I can. (Also, I capture example sentences only rarely, so I hope you’re not expecting too much here…)

EDIT: @chrisosaurus I managed to clean up the cards faster than I had imagined, so here is the link to the deck. Enjoy (and if you have any questions, feel free ofc)!

13 Likes

I’ll write a longer reply / update later, just been avoiding the computer all day to try give my hands a break - read 6 pages of DS chapter 2 and visited Kinokuniya to pick up the 2nd volume =p

Awesome!
I’d only been hoping for the list of Japanese words, maybe with furigana if I was very lucky - even that wasn’t expected - anything extra is bonus on top of bonus - I’d only suggested exporting to csv as that was likely the least effort.
In Australian / New Zealand English we’d say “legend” - as in “you’ve been a legend” (meaning you’ve been awesome, thanks so much, etc.).
Thanks, the meaning and position information are great.

Really hope I didn’t make you do that cleanup work sooner than you would have otherwise, I asked for the words as it might save me some typing =p
And I can tell that already it will, as a bunch of these are words I’d come across but hadn’t typed up yet.

(I have cobbled together some half assed Anki plugins, so once I get the data into Anki it can fill in the rest from Jisho.org without needing much typing from me, and I’ve taught my voice control how to trigger my plugins =D)

8 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :waning_gibbous_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211024 :: :waning_gibbous_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day LIV: 弘法井戸 :dragon:

No pages today (of この音とまれ!) , still having a lot of difficulty with this one and don’t feel like any heavy reading today.

Read today’s Japanese folktale, from Mie Prefecture, about a white dragon that brings luck.

~ New Words ~
イチジク (無花果) - Common fig
白龍 (はくりゅう) - White Dragon
神棚 (かみだな) - A household shrine
ペッペッ - Spitting (Onomatopoeia)
杖 (つえ) - Cane, walking stick, staff

Historic Figure: 弘法大師 (こうぼうだいし), also known as 空海 (くうかい) - a Buddhist monk.

I was so confused with this, that moral seemed to come out of nowhere!

(and everything else you said but otherwise I’d have ended up with a massive quote)

This is the reason why I love these threads, I like that everyone can read what they feel they can and at their own pace (and the Tanuki, we can never forget the Tanuki). Before these threads I’d been thinking about joining a bookclub but they all felt pretty daunting, I know it’s not a competition, but when everyone’s reading the same thing it felt like it’d end up me struggling on page 2 and everyone else would have made it onto page 20 :rofl:
Going at a steadier, less goal focused pace has really helped me, in these past 3 (or so?) months I feel like I’ve learnt loads. There’s a lot of words now that I can just read, like that, it’s an amazing feeling!

These threads are the best :raccoon:

13 Likes