📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Haha nice story! Feel free to ping me if you have any questions :wink:

5 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 11 I tried reading in the morning instead of last second before (way past) bedtime. Good strat :eyes:
・Honzuki 6. (48% → 51%)

14 Likes

Home post

Day 40:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 19 (and finished it), a bit of 伯爵と妖精 20, and some of 魔王城でおやすみ (finished v5).

中国語

中国語: I read 挨打的原因. I added 小时候 and 试卷.

14 Likes

Summary Post

October 11th
Stardew Valley

Random words
  • 不可解 = ふかかい incomprehensible, inexplicable.
  • 大工 = だいく carpenter. So there are two words apparently for carpenter, and if my understanding is correct, 大工 is for someone that is related to buildings and construction, whereas 木工 is someone that makes wooden tools and whatnot.
  • 小屋 = こや cabin, hut.
  • 不満 = ふまん dissatisfaction, discontent.
  • 樹液 = じゅえき sap (lit. “tree liquid”).
  • 整理 = せいり sorting, arrangement.
  • 鍬 = くわ hoe.
  • 耕す = たがやす to till, to plow.
  • 収穫 = しゅうかく harvest.
  • 竿 = さお pole, rod (from 釣り竿 , fishing rod).

I missed yesterday, that’s fine. Today was the most unexpected turn of events, ended up just trying Stardew Valley in Japanese for fun. It’s actually pretty well done, and it looks promising. Whether it was a silly day and that’s it or the start of a regrettable new addiction, I do not know, but I’m looking forward to both. I’m actually somewhat excited to learn more vocabulary related to farming and the like and the day to day interactions with the villagers. I haven’t played Stardew Valley in many years, but it’s an amazing game, and I expect no less from the Japanese version.

15 Likes

Summary Post

Day 41: Today I read 4 pages of よつば&!and read aloud 1 chapter of ハイキュー!!

15 Likes

Summary post

Day 41: October 11
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 44 min

As usual, Rin is bothering Haru with his existence :joy: Honestly, I feel a little for both of them in this moment. Rin comes up to join Haru in laying the bricks for the flowerbed - he obviously just wants to talk to Haru about swimming, but Haru’s completely ignoring him (or trying to, anyway). It’s sad because it honestly feels like Rin is making an effort to work on their relationship - he’s, like, telling Haru about his observations on Nagisa (which is so cute, honestly, he’s such a little team captain), and he’s voicing his ideas for the team practice in a way that isn’t as, like…demanding or overbearing. But Haru literally just wants him to shut up so he can work in peace :joy: Which is a feeling I definitely also understand…I have a (sometimes very) chatty coworker who I love, but sometimes it’s like…why is there no polite way to say “I love you but I really don’t know why you’re talking to me about this right now, I’m busy, please go away” xD

A thing from this scene that I love: when Haru stands up to take a break, he notes that Rin’s actually been doing a pretty good job on the bricklaying, even though he’s been chattering away the whole time. :joy: Idk, I like that a lot. For one, it’s another little indicator of how Rin does take things seriously and put care and attention into what he does. And it’s nice that Haru can acknowledge this as a positive, even though Rin’s been bugging the crap out of him :joy:

Good words

均す (ならす) - to make even; to make smooth; to make level; to flatten
あからさま - plain; frank; candid; open; direct; straightforward; unabashed; blatant; flagrant​
意味ありげ (いみありげ) - meaningful; suggestive; telling; significant; pregnant (pause etc.)
息つく (いきつく) - to take a breath; to take a short rest​
延長線上 (えんちょうせんじょう) - extension of a straight line; (conclusion) following as an extension of (an argument) (I like it 'cause it rhymes lol)
覆す (くつがえす) - to reverse (decision etc.)

14 Likes

Thank you for your kindness!!

I’m usually pretty strict on myself and will probably still do my makeup day… But! Instead of leaving a blank spot on my calendar, I’m gonna do a little tanuki dude in the spirit of TID (tanuki indulgence day) :laughing::paw_prints:

14 Likes

Home post October 12th I did a thing.

So uhm today a thing happened, and I hold you all responsible.

alt: I marked demon slayer as reading.

Today I typed up the first ~25 pages + a few random pages here and there to start mining for vocab, and I started realising that for the most part the grammar wasn’t as scary as I thought and actually seemed maybe kind of almost approachable.

So then I approached it, today I read almost 3 pages of demon slayer (almost as I have to go back and redo 2 sentences that I get the meaning of but I don’t 100% get the grammar of), so maybe 2.5 pages.

I’m kind of expecting the difficulty to suddenly increase once I get further in, so I may have to pause reading it later on, but for now I’m giving it a go.

The chain of fault causation inspiration.

Aria had been on my radar, funnily enough maybe 2 days earlier I was looking at the wikipedia page for it trying to decide if I was interested. The world seemed interesting, but the characters core motivation of wanting to be a gondola tour guide on new mars was a bit off putting, still uhming and ahhing over if I should explore it.

Hmmm I’ve never been bitten by the sports anime/manga bug, but it won’t hurt to try, thanks for the recommendations :slight_smile: .

loads up bookwalker
Ohhh those covers do look surprisingly enticing for a sports manga… colour me intrigued :thinking:.

I tried to warn you =D

I had known that at some point I would just have to struggle through something to try get an entry point into my genres of interest, but I keep thinking my grammar isn’t enough yet, will have to see how quickly I NOPE out of demon slayer =D

+1, even in my native tongue they can be a pain, I’m not yet brave enough to try it in a 2nd language I barely know.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation, I hadn’t seen this book club before so colour me very excited. Added to my watch list =D

Thanks everyone for the replies, recommendations, and inspiration - it really does mean a lot :smiley: :pray:

14 Likes

woohoo! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: It’s really exciting moving into reading things because you want to read them rather than based on learning goals/difficulty - have fun!

9 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :waxing_crescent_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211012 :: :waxing_crescent_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XLII: この音とまれ! pg. 35-45 & 群馬県 :evergreen_tree:

45 pages in and these guys are still shouting at each other, but it’s okay now, they’ve shared a lasting touch of each other’s arms and now they are friends.

Also decided to get around to reading about Gunma prefecture, and there was a load of new words on that page!

~ New Words! ~
内陸県 (ないりくけん) - Inland prefecture / Landlocked prefecture. 内陸~ can be used before other words and on its own.
多数 (たすう) - Large number of [something] / many
養蚕 (ようさん) - Sericulture, didn’t even know what this was in English, it’s Silkworm cultivation / farming.
コンニャク (蒟蒻) - Konjac, didn’t know what this was either, at first I thought it meant Cognac :laughing:
クロマツ(黒松) - Black Pine
語源 (ごげん) - Etymology, origin of a word
レンゲツツジ (蓮華躑躅) Japanese Azalea
ヤマドリ (山鳥) - Copper Pheasant
固有種 (こゆうしゅ) - Endemic Species
褐色 (かっしょく) - Dark Brown
抱卵 (ほうらん) - Incubation
雛 (ひな) - Young bird, chick, fledgling
アユ(鮎) - Ayu, sweetfish

15 Likes

Summary

October 9 → 11
:maple_leaf: 39 → 41
total: 105/108 → 108/108 + :paw_prints:

• カラフル
    text: 81 → 85 → 91 → 98 → 100%
    audiobook: 73% → 81% and dropped

Was nearly on time, I had to finish the last 1% of 解説 today, because the sentences stopped making sense yesterday evening. But I refused to add another day to my count, and used :paw_prints: instead :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

All in all, it was a nice book, and somehow it managed to be both surprisingly dark and overly sweet. :wink: But it tried to balance things, its solutions to problems just didn’t click with me in particular. :woman_shrugging:t2:
I think it’s also very refreshing to read something with just one volume, and not a part of a series with 30 volumes.

And I’m so proud of myself for being right about the ending from the beginning :grin: but it also took away some enjoyment I think, to guess the conclusion so early.

And, I only read smart 解説 so far about the deep meaning/symbolism, so this one was a surprise :stuck_out_tongue: The seiyuu who did the mother’s voice just babbled about her experiences with the book (like, when she first heard about it when she got the job offer and such).

And that concludes this challenge for me!
Thank you all for your ongoing support :heart: All those likes were always making me so happy.
And special thanks to @windupbird for setting up this thread :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
and to @Redglare for the original idea. Your tiny updates are always so adorable :blush:

I’m still planning to read a few times a week, but I’ll be concentrating more on the other things now. And somehow I want to rest from the feeling of being hold accountable :upside_down_face:
Generally, I think I’m feeling too overstimulated by forums now, and I need a rest, so I’m planning to be less active for some time.
But I’m probably still gonna skim through this thread!

and fingers crossed that you won’t :crossed_fingers:t2:

13 Likes

Congrats on reaching your goal, 108 days is amazing, you’ve now reached reading Nirvana!

I don’t know how I missed this earlier, but I very much approve of this :raccoon: :paw_prints:

11 Likes

Home post

Day 41:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 20 and a bit of 魔王城でおやすみ.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ハイキュー.

中国語

中国語: I read 我是谁. I added 记住, 长大, 感动, and 宁愿.

12 Likes

I’m actually super-happy to be responsible for that :rofl:

w00t! :tada: :tada:

So now I’m curious: Compared to your latest Graded Reader, how was the difficulty of these three pages? (I guess I need not ask about the entertainment level comparison :sweat_smile:)

Of course. I still remember very well when I struggled through my first books in English :rofl:

You can solve that problem once if you get there :wink:

Also if you have questions, feel free to ask! But maybe not here :wink: There is the Short Grammar Questions (Part 1) thread or even the 鬼滅の刃ーDemon Slayer Book Club (but it seems they kind of stopped before they even started…) - and if you are looking for a reading buddy, just shout (it’s not my genre at all, but the first few pages look nicer than I had expected :joy_cat:)

10 Likes

yeah - second that offer! I am currently reading the series (I’m on vol. 7 but still have all the earlier vols) so if there’s anything you could do with discussing feel free to tag me in the 鬼滅の刃 thread that @NicoleIsEnough mentioned :slight_smile: Also if you just want to talk about what a lil sweetheart Tanjiro is I’m also up for that haha. No.1 good boy.

10 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 12
・Honzuki 6. (51% → 53%)

@Aislin Well done! :partying_face: I hope you’ll join us next round too :grin:

14 Likes

Home post

Soooooo…today I finished reading それいけズッコケ三人組! I’m so happy that this group and the challenge has given me the motivation to make reading part of my every day study practices. I definitely noticed my reading speed increase as I went through the volume, down to about 20 minutes for 4 pages now. That’s also making it easier for me to follow Japanese subtitles on Netflix/YouTube too, which I’ve struggled with in the post.

I bought this book on eBay on a bit of a whim last year but it’s proved to be exactly right for where I am now. It came as a job lot with two other volumes from the series so I’m going to move onto them next. One of the volumes is ghost-themed so I think I shall start that in time for Halloween! :jack_o_lantern::ghost:

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 42: Only read 2 pages of よつば&!today because I am kind of sleep deprived and exhausted

15 Likes

Summary Post

October 12th
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 壺 = つぼ pot, jar.
  • 中断 = ちゅうだん interruption, suspension, break.

13 Likes

Summary post

Day 42: October 12
What did I read?: 夜は猫といっしょ Vol 2
How much did I read?: 28 pages
How long did it take me?: 23 min

So tired for some reason today :sweat: Probably because the days have been short and overcast tbh, I hate darkness. I’m like a plant, I need the sun to function. BUT that means it’s kitty times :3 (this emoji is going to remind me of キュルガ forever now)

Today's accidental theme is "no-ears キュルガ"

キュルガ looks like a seal to me for some reason in this panel :joy:

Open for tiny cat paw

I want to touch the pawsie :pleading_face:

Good words

目線に立つ (めせんにたつ) - to consider another’s point of view; to put oneself in someone’s shoes
ちょっかいを出す (ちょっかいをだす) - to meddle; to poke one’s nose into; to interfere
While looking this up, I accidentally learned that ちょっかい can also mean extending a paw to drag something closer, which I thought was cute xD
図太い (ずぶとい) - bold; shameless; cheeky; brash; impudent
頭突き (ずつき) - head-butting; head-butt

:heart: Congrats on finishing your challenge! :clap: :clap: :blush:

Totally understand this :rofl: Enjoy a well-earned rest :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

16 Likes