📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

よこそう,(we) 噛むないだ かむないだ

8 Likes

Summary post

Day 26: September 26
What did I read?: 雨と君と Vol. 2 :raccoon::maple_leaf:
How much did I read?: 12 pages
How long did it take me?: 14 min

Project is going well, and I might…might be able to finish it close to on time (or at least closer to on time than I previously thought possible :sweat_smile:). I’m feeling…strangely unbothered about it. It gets done when it gets done. Apparently we have passed through the frantic stressed out phase and entered the zen phase.

So many cute tanuki panels <3

Tanuki's new job

Surprised tanuki ft. apple slice

I love this panel so much for some reason xD

Space tanuki!

Good words:
付箋 (ふせん) - post-it note (I like the second kanji a lot)
洗い熊 (アライグマ) - raccoon (I feel like maybe I’ve heard this word before, but “washing bear” is the cutest name for “raccoon” ever)
野生 (やせい) - wild; growing wild; living in the wild

Not at all, welcome! :wave: :blush:

17 Likes

I think I can speak for everyone in saying we feel like the opposite of minding - welcome aboard!

13 Likes

wishing you the best for today @chrisosaurus! hope the surgery goes well and wishing you a speedy recovery :slight_smile:

10 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 18 (9月 26日) :sparkles:
What did I read:
雨と君と :umbrella::raccoon: I forgot to tell you guys, but it arrived in the mail on Saturday!
Read around 9 chapters, some 47pages, 30min.
I can’t take it, it’s so so so cuteeee

The father’s reaction… same… same….

Looool at this! So cute akdjdkdk tanuki took the leaf off to enter the bath :bathtub: helppp aalkskrf

Also read 暁のヨナ, only half of chapter 37 bc I was getting so sleepy…

15 Likes

Home post - September 27th - I did some light reading today by re-reading a graded reader I read a while ago, one of my early favourites, as a way to see how far I had come - it was an absolute breeze. Tomorrow I might try an audio book version of it or another story.

Today was 女の子

A very very simple story both in terms of narrative and grammar, but I think the first graded reader where I really felt “wow, graded readers can actually have narrative” - so I wanted to revisit it.

Surgery went well, from tomorrow things will get much worse once the anesthetic fully wears off. See you all on the flip side and thank you all so much for the support =D

17 Likes

Main Post

Took a day extra to finish reading through volume 3 of Polar Bear Café Today’s Special. With that I’m caught up to the current releases. I’m kinda proud seeing the volume of work I read through, there’s about 150 chapters shared between the two titles. Adding up Yotsuba and that’s about 250 chapters. Trying to get to the next milestone, which is 25 volumes (I’m at 22 now).

My physical backlog has slinked back a lot over these past months. I have been thinking about what to read next, either reading the Dai spinoff or returning to one of the books I put on hold. I should also assess what I have on kindle. Aside from manga I have made some way into Tobira (chapter 3) and Skyward Sword (about 30 hours in). So things are progressing nicely still.

15 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE 20210927 ::: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXVII: 鬼の腕 :muscle:

Today’s 百物語 is about a disembodied demon arm getting revenge.

“この腕は、女房みたいなものだ。”
I erm… I’m not gonna ask.

ある冬 - think I’ve seen this ある[year/season/day etc.] before but must have looked over it. Meaning “one winter”, ある日 - “one day” (but not in the counting sense).

Thought I hadn’t seen this kanji before: 離 - it’s on level 31. :expressionless:

土葬 (どそう) - the story gives an explanation of this one: burying a body in the ground instead of cremation.

線香 (せんこう) - incense stick.

16 Likes

Home post

Day 26:

日本語: I read a lot of はめふら 10 (and finished it), then read a fair amount of はめふら 11.

中国語

中国語: I read 闰年 and 四和十.

16 Likes

Main post

Sept 27 - I read a short paragraph about the “Japanese economic miracle” because I have a text to read on this topic for my next Japanese class

Vocab
  • 諸 (しょ) : various
  • 遂げる(とげる) : to accomplish
  • 所得 (しょとく) : income
  • 唱える (となえる) : to advance
  • 合成繊維 (ごうせいせんい) : synthetic fibre
  • 流通 (りゅうつう) : circulation
  • 齎す (もたらす) : to bring
  • 農村 (のうそん) : agricultural community (didn’t know about this reading of 村)
  • 過疎 (かそ) : depopulation
  • 終止符 (しゅうしふ) : full stop
  • 維新 (いしん) : Meiji Restoration
Japanese ability

Passing N2 gave me the opportunity to switch master’s and find a job where I can use Japanese. While it’s very exciting, I feel very under qualified for both my master’s and my job - Japanese ability-wise :joy: I’m going to do my best this year. :raised_hands:

15 Likes

My tiny summary post

September 27
・乳と卵. (9% → 11%) Am reading along, slowly but surely
:sailboat:

14 Likes

Summary Post

September 27th
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 49.

Random words
  • 目まぐるしい = めまぐるしい hectic, bewildering.
  • 採用 = さいよう use, adoption, employment.
  • 民宿 = みんしゅく pension, guesthouse.
  • 住み込む = すみこむ to be a live-in employee.
  • 目立つ = めだつ to stand out, to be conspicuous.
  • 抜き = ぬき (suffix) without, leaving out, omitting.

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 27: September 27
What did I read?: 雨と君と Vol. 2 :raccoon::maple_leaf:
How much did I read?: 15 pages
How long did it take me?: 14 min

I think working on the weekend is catching up to me, oh no
I’m so exhausted I want to cry. But also fall asleep. I want to cry and fall sleep simultaneously, this is a very weird feeling

I only read one chapter today, but it was pretty cute - we met some of the girl’s friends. But one of them said the tanuki wasn’t cute, like how even dare D:< She did make him some special gyoza later, though, so I guess she’s ok :unamused:

Tanuki got nervous and it was too cute

Honestly this panel is a whole mood

Good words:
懐く (なつく) - to become attached (to); to take (to); to become affectionate (with); to be tamed
ドンビキ - being put off (by someone’s words, behaviour, etc.); being taken aback; recoiling (in shock, disgust, etc.); being left speechless
仲間はずれ (なかまはずれ) - being left out; being ostracized
がっつく - to be greedy; to devour greedily

17 Likes

Summary post

Day 27: Read 2 more pages of よつば&! and read aloud a chapter of ハイキュー!!

15 Likes

Thanks to everyone for sharing their encountered words, its always fun to pick up vocab like this by accident - although I don’t try get them all, occasionally one will jump out at me and its free learning.

I love this word 仲間 + 外れ makes sense, added it to Anki =D

Seriously considering giving 雨と君と a go at some point.

Ohh this is helpful, I’d seen ある日 but I wasn’t sure how far that pattern could go, super useful to encounter this =D

Another great word!

14 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 19 (9月 27日) :sparkles:
What did I read:
2 small news articles from TODAI Easy Japanese news app.

One was about a typhoon about to hit

and it was pretty easy, your typical warning announcement kind,

And the other was about UK having a shortage in working hands (after Brexit basically) and offering 5000 working visas to employ truck drivers and poultry workers. This one had some unknown words tbh.

Words I learnt

緩和かんわ relief; migration; alleviation
養成ようせい training
促すうなが which is WK early 30s I believe and I COULD NOT REMEMBER SOBS
方針ほうしん policy; pla; objective
陸運業協会りくうんぎょうきょうか Land Transport Association
物流業界ぶつりゅうぎょうかい logistics industry
人手不足ひとでぶそく labour shortage
就労しゅうろう ビザ working visa, work visa
家禽かきん poultry, fowls
離脱後りだつご after withdrawal (from EU, in this context)
欧州連合おうしゅうれんご EU🇪🇺

14 Likes

ちょっと遅刻しまう。。。

I started reading every day in late August, might as well try to keep the streak going for another month. This is a big improvement over my previous best of 14 days :scream_cat:

Apple Books might not be the best reader, but I like being able to set yearly and daily goals.

17 Likes

I was wondering if anybody checked those! I’m glad it serves you or anyone else good :relaxed: . I actually blur the readings for anyone that would like to practice and give it a guess. I too tend to check what everyone else is reading and what words they’re encountering, not everyday, but quite often. And also the tanuki pictures and other cute stuff that you peeps upload.

You’ll see that I add some words that I added already days ago or weeks ago, because I bump into stuff I don’t remember adding :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: . But hopefully that helps reinforce.

14 Likes

I probably will try to read some more manga tonight but after procrastinating my actual work by browsing the threads here, I found the very helpful link to some free very simple Japanese books that someone posted and so I read a couple of the level 0 graded reader books. I’d love to say I flew through them with ease but there were still one or two things I had to look up. Still felt good :smiley:

18 Likes

Home post - September 28th - reread ハチの話 graded reader and just flew through it, it can’t have taken me more than 10 minutes and I didn’t have to second guess anything. Rereading graded readers is great. I had wanted to tackle a more advanced story today, but I ran out of time, so had to settle for squeezing this in instead.

Oops

I can’t really use my left hand much, so even holding this book (and typing this message…) was (were) pushing things a little. hehehe.

Thankfully my Anki reviews are easy to do one handed!

21 Likes