📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Hello everybody!

I have a question and I hope somebody can help me! :sweat:
Im looking for a homepage where you can choose your Japanese level and then they will give you some examples of books for your Japanese level. I really cant remember what the homepage was called. I think you also could choose the genre. :face_with_monocle:

I really hope somebody can help me! :pray:

Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Laharp !

You might be thinking of these websites
https://learnnatively.com/
https://jpdb.io/light-novel-difficulty-list
https://japaneselevelup.com/difficulty-level-guide-everything-japanese
https://wakarukana.com/index
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ukDIWSkh_xvpppPbgs1nUR2kaEwFaWlsJgZUlb9LuTs/edit#gid=1357228088

If you aren’t already aware, the Wanikani forums have user organised book clubs at different levels where users vote on books and then read them together helping each other with vocabulary and grammar.

You can find a list of these book clubs here

For example the absolute beginner book club can be found here

You can also look over the threads for past book clubs which are a gold mine of material, and if you ask a question by posting in them you are still very likely to get a response.

15 Likes

Summary post

Day 23: September 23
What did I read?: 夜は猫といっしょ Vol 1
How much did I read?: 7 pages - finished the volume
How long did it take me?: 9 min

Another “check the box” kinda day. :pensive: At least the “slow and painful death” portion of the project is mostly over. (I mean there’s still a whole other part to the project that probably contains a similar “slow and painful death” portion, but that’s not something we’re gonna think about right now).

I’m missing ハイ☆スピード! a lot right now, you guys :cry: I was thinking about them today, it feels like it’s been so long. As soon as this crunch time is over, I’m digging right back in, I’m really looking forward to spending some more time with my swimming children <3

But in the meantime - at least cat is cute xD
Today I learned what kind of cat キュルガ is: a 足長マンチカン - long-legged munchkin! Which is apparently a thing lol, I would’ve thought a long-legged munchkin cat would just be…a cat xD But apparently like 80% of munchkin cats are actually long-legged. Who knew :woman_shrugging:

Also got some choice sequences in this last chapter:

Cat creepin'

Cat butt (that last panel xD)

Good words:
登場人物 (とうじょうじんぶつ) - character (in a play or novel); dramatis personae
社会人 (しゃかいじん) - working adult; full-fledged member of society

20 Likes

Day 23 :bookmark:今日の日本の本: 文プロ 教訓2 (誰かが友達に家の中を案内しています。)

There was a few kanji that I’m seeing alot lately so Imma definitely start to remember them now and I’m happy to say besides that it was all smooth sailing!(¯▿¯)

18 Likes

Thank you so much for your fast reply!

Natively was the page I was looking for! :partying_face:

I will check out the book clubs! Thanks again! :grin:

4 Likes

Glad I could help =D

Learnnatively is the one I use the most by far, it’s made by a user on the WK forums.

I really cannot recommend the book clubs enough! I kept putting off reading, but now that I’ve started I am so glad as it has made such a huge difference to my Japanese.

7 Likes

Summary post

Day 23: Read another 2 pages of よつば&!

16 Likes

:flushed: I hope you’ll like it!

You’re scaring me :open_mouth: When I was doing the N3 version I was actually pleasantly surprised that texts felt much easier than what I’m reading for pleasure - mostly that I didn’t need to use dictionary, which was a good thing since that were supposed to be, well, exam texts :stuck_out_tongue: And well, grammar felt straightforward, and they were so short and friendly.
Now I’m worried how big the gap to the N2 level will be. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I loved the game in English, I’ll go through it and try find some good vocab to learn like I’ve been doing with Ace Attorney =D

2 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 23
:maple_leaf:Started section 3, chapter two! I read two pages, instead of a full chapter, because relaxing is important!

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 24
:maple_leaf:Read section 3, the rest of chapter 1. I was very sleepy today but still reached my goal which made me happy :laughing:

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

13 Likes

Home post - Sorry for the long wordy post!

September 24th - Another weird day.
Since my copy of レイトン教授と不思議な町 arrived I’ve been itching to start looking at it, but I so far haven’t been able to find a good Japanese script for it.

So I went through the dialogue for the opening of the game up until and including the first puzzle, taking a photo of each dialogue line with my cellphone, and then put them all into a Google doc to type out. I’ve since been able to find snippets of the dialogue online, although often in slightly modified formats.

There are lots of unfamiliar Kanji, but I’ve also had some amazing moments where I was able to guess the reading of completely new compound kanji based on the radicals which felt really great in terms of a “huh, I have made progress!” moment.

My plan is to try distill the core / common vocab & grammar into Anki cards where appropriate like I’ve been doing for 逆転裁判.

Today I typed up 29 screens worth and still have another 12 to do before I’ve finished this section, Oops I didn’t stop and accidentally finished all 41 screens, and I’ve only just scratched the surface in terms of breakdowns which will start after this typing is done next.

As mentioned I’m going in for surgery Monday and I’ll lose the use of my left arm for a while afterwards, so trying to get a bunch of typing out of the way ahead of time.

EDIT: oops, I didn’t stop after writing this and just did “one more” repeatedly until I’d finished, there are still a few very unfamiliar kanji for me to attack by drawing squiggled on my electronic jisho, but that can be a task for tomorrow as its past midnight.

19 Likes

Fingers crossed for you that it all goes well!

12 Likes

I played that game on my phone just a month ago :eyes: Not in Japanese tho, but in English. Challenging but not unsolvable puzzles, lovely catchy tunes, interesting characters… I’d play more Professor Layton games if I had the time to. Wait, is this the game you and the others have been talking about? I must have missed it, I’m kinda lost xD

Hope surgery goes well and that you’ll have a speedy recovery!

10 Likes

Home post

Day 23:

日本語: I read a lot of はめふら 10.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ふしぎの国のバード (finished v2).

中国語

中国語: I read 在中国学汉语. Reminder to self to read about 知道 vs 认识.

15 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE: 20210924 ::: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXIV: ドンタコス :taco:

Not had a whole lot of time today so I just read a couple of sentences on random wiki.

It is about トルティーヤ・チップス.

Mmmm, tasty.

Wish you all the best, hope it all goes smoothly and you have a quick recovery!

17 Likes

Still in low energy mode I just finished クドわふた volume 1, so today I read around 50 pages.

15 Likes

My tiny summary post

September 24
・Honzuki 6. (26% → 27%)

Feels like an intermission kind of place in the story, where Stuff Has Happened and now it’s a bit more on the chill side.

15 Likes

Summary Post

September 24th
Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale

Random words
  • 意外 = いがい unexpected, surprising.
  • 献立 = こんだて a menu (food).
  • シチュー = stew.
  • 首飾り = くびかざり necklace, choker.
  • 品切れ = しなぎれ sold out, out of stock.
  • 貼る = はる to stick, to paste.

I didn’t read yesterday. I planned to read before bed but I was really tired and I admit I didn’t want to suffer through it, so I called it a day instead. But I did clean a good chunk of my reviews on BunPro that I’ve been procrastinating on for a couple weeks, and also kept up with SRS, so I’m still happy.

Moral of the story: if I wait until it’s too late, reading feels like a complete chore, something I do before bed to tick a day but not to actually improve. I don’t want it to become just that because what’s the point, so I either read much before that or when it gets to that point I skip a day. For the sake of the challenge I’ll try to keep up with it, of course, but I’ve decided I’m not going to whip myself for skipping some days if I need to. What I mainly want out of this is reading more than I was reading before.

But it goes back to this thought: I’d rather miss some days, than completely burn out and miss many more. But even then, although not being able to 100% it, I still want to see how high I’m able to go.

Or perhaps I’m just starting to make excuses :joy:

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 24: September 24
What did I read?: 雨と君と Vol. 2 :raccoon::maple_leaf:
How much did I read?: 22 pages
How long did it take me?: 16 min

He’s baaaack :heart: Tanuki is back to brighten up my day
Somehow the tanuki is getting even cuter D: The level of tanuki cuteness in the first chapter was off the chart, right from the beginning :chart_with_upwards_trend: The first volume was summer-y, and now we’re jumping right into autumn for this second volume :3 They had a 月見 chapter! And then her dad is back, cutting apples into pretty freaking amazing shapes?? I am very impressed and jealous of his knife skills.

I honestly could have picked any panel with the tanuki in it as a favorite, they were all so cute :3 But here are my favorite tanuki expressions of today.

:D

豊穣の舞

\(^ᴗ^)/

Good words:
茹でる (ゆでる) - to boil (something in hot water)​
豊穣 (ほうじょう) - abundant (grain) crop; good harvest
前掛け (まえかけ) - apron
じゅるり - sound effect for slurping back up excess saliva (e.g. as stimulated by desire for food)​ (lol)

17 Likes

Day 24 :bookmark:
今日の日本の本: 発表会(はっぴょうかい)
Today was a loooong day and I wasn’t bout to read nothin…buuuut I did…no regrets!!!( ̄▽ ̄)
And tbh this 日本語 lesson was a good part of my day, mostly because I decided to not look at the English ver. yet and I understood a good chunk of what was happening . Even had myself a small chuckle.
and now imma have my self a nice looooong sleep
おやすみなさい (-_-) zzZ

15 Likes