📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Thanks for that. Yes, there is a character called Ryou.

2 Likes

I’m still reading every day just less than during the challenge. Either way I am super busy the whole month so there won’t be much time for reading. Right now I’m reading [老後に備えて異世界で8万枚の金貨を貯めます and playing the newest mystery horror game in japanese.

8 Likes

Home post

Getting pretty close to my goal of 100 days, lately I’ve mostly been reading Demon Slayer the manga and dabbling in the game and anime when I’ve unlocked enough of them by reading ahead in the manga.

• Nov 22nd - Demon slayer 2.5 pages
  • Nov 23rd - Demon slayer 6 pages
  • Nov 24th - Demon slayer 1.5 - 2 pages
  • Nov 25th - Demon slayer 8 pages finishing chapter 8 (in 3 days)
  • Nov 26th - Demon slayer 7 pages (start ch. 9)
  • Nov 27th - Demon slayer 10 pages (fin ch. 9 in 2 days?)
  • Nov 28th - Demon slayer 7 pages (start ch. 10)
  • Nov 29th - Demon slayer 12 pages (fin ch. 10 in 2 days)
  • Nov 30th - Demon slayer 23 pages (start ch. 11, fin ch. 11, start ch. 12) + demon slayer game
  • Dec 01st - Demon slayer 1 page + old sentences + lots of demon slayer game
  • Dec 02nd - Demon slayer 31 pages (fin ch. 12, start ch. 13, fin ch. 13) + demon slayer game
  • Dec 03rd - Demon slayer 8 pages (start ch. 14) + lots of demon slayer game

This puts me at 94 days, so only 6 to go including today (haven’t counted yet as I haven’t finished reading).

It’s been really fun tracking the number of pages I’ve read as I can see a very clear growth, and the number of grammar points I encounter which I have no idea about has decreased a lot (many of them I won’t be 100% on, but any improvement above 0% is really big).
Sometimes I can go entire days without having to crank open the grammar dictionary, whereas I used to be using it multiple times a page. Still lots and lots of vocab to look up, but still counting this a huge win.

12 Likes

Main Post

This will be my final update post in this thread as I finished reading through Spy x Family volume 3 today. It’s been just as good as the other two volumes. I read all I wanted to read and met my goals. So it’s time to end the challenge for me and relax the constraints for the rest of the month. I’ll probably still be reading and ordering new stuff, but likely not everyday. The month rest will give me some space to look at my digital collection a bit more and maybe do some more stuff on bookmeter.

This year already far exceeded my expectations when it comes to reading and I’ll be back next year swinging for more.

10 Likes

This manga is more dialogue-heavy than オトメン(乙男). I’ve spent more days reading it but I read less pages. Perhaps, I shouldn’t have complained about not understanding the story. However, even though 会長はメイド様!is harder to read, I can follow the story much easier. It helps that I am currently watching the anime on Blu-ray and I read the English translation of volume 1 recently.

4 Likes

Summary post

A Long-Delayed Reflection Post
Only a month late, but who’s counting :crazy_face:

First, I will start with accomplishments!

• With some…bending of the rules (:eyes:) I did keep my streak and read every day!
  • I didn’t finish High Speed, but I did read 162.5/228 pages, so…71% of the way there xD I don’t mind that I didn’t finish it, though - despite the name, I think this novel is one to savor, rather than rush through. Once I started reading it, I realized that I wanted to take my time and fully enjoy the book, which sometimes meant setting it aside for a bit when I knew I wasn’t in the mindset to enjoy it. I really have enjoyed finding these characters again <3 I love them just as much as I did 8+ years ago when I first met them through the anime :3 I was going to make myself a goal of finishing the book before the start of the next challenge, but then work exploded sooo I don’t think I will make that goal after all. I’ll come back to it for sure :slight_smile:
  • Aside from reading High Speed, I also read 685 pages of manga and finished 5 manga volumes (6 if you count the one I started prior to the challenge)
  • Overall, I read for a whopping 55 hours over the course of the challenge - not quite as much as I read in the summer challenge, but still 55 hours I wouldn’t have spent reading otherwise
  • Bonus: I got to enjoy a lot of really cute things :joy: I love our Tanuki Cuteness Brigade - I had so much fun sharing cute things and hearing about even more cute things to enjoy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Also, PS, I bought that big fluffy bird plushie - 10/10 would buy again (so round :heart: big fluffy ball of birb)

One thing that continues to elude me is actually building a habit without the “threat” of the challenge hanging over my head :upside_down_face: I have read exactly nothing since the end of the challenge, which is not entirely my own fault (thanks, work, love you :grimacing::+1:), but I just…can’t help but feel a little annoyed by how readily I let it drop.

Some more thoughts related to that

So, something that made me feel a bit guilty - when the challenge was done, I felt a little…relieved? And I don’t really know how to take that? Like, what am I relieved about?
That I don’t have to read every day? (Why are you like this, me, don’t you like reading? :unamused:)
That I can “let go” of a routine? (Why are none of the changes I try to make ever sustained/sustainable)
That I don’t have to post every day? (Not that there was even an obligation to do that anyway, but I definitely feel pressure from myself to do that sometimes - I do feel like it keeps me on track, so I feel I should, but I, like…don’t want to be kept on track, sometimes, if that even makes sense. I feel like it also might have helped if I’d made my posts a bit shorter/simpler :sweat_smile: But if I’m posting I want to…you know, say something. …It’s a complex issue lol)
And maybe it’s none of the above, maybe it’s just life (aka work) overwhelming me like freaking always and making me eager to drop everything I can, but even thinking that doesn’t stop me from being annoyed about how easy it is for me to get overwhelmed by stuff. It happens, like…not infrequently. Where I have to let stuff drop, because something has to give and that thing can’t ever be work. I hate that :upside_down_face: I feel like I’m the only one at work who has this problem to such a degree.

Aaaanyway…enough on that xD
I’m happy I had the opportunity to run this challenge thread :3 You all made this such a fun experience :heart: And it was awesome getting to introduce this challenge to more people ^^

11 Likes

thank you for this, this makes me feel better! I think I managed to read the first few days of November and then it just gradually petered out. My Christmas holidays start in 10 days time and I had been hoping to finish the novel that I had started by then, so I could read a new one over Christmas…but as it is I’ve still got 100 pages to go. Can I do 10 per day between now and then? erm, probably not.

As you say, something always has to give and sadly it tends to be reading. For me, I think that’s almost because I do enjoy it - unlike SRS - and also because it’s not going to come back and bite me later (unlike SRS).

One nice update from me though: I tweeted (in japanese) to one of the manga-ka whose works I really love, and they re-tweeted it and replied, and it might have actually been the happiest moment of 2021 for me? Even more so because loads of people replied underneath and no-one said jouzudesune.

12 Likes

Late reply, but:

Yeah, I feel you. I would think that perhaps because of the nature of these things, a “challenge” being something, well, challenging, takes effort. It comes with a certain mental pressure to keep oneself up to par. This is work, after all, at least I know it is for me. We’re going from something we didn’t do before to something new that is mentally taxing, which is reading everyday. It’s only natural that after two months of work the brain is happy that suddenly the commitment is lifted.

Makes 200% sense. I didn’t feel like posting some days, and I also felt the pressure of writing things for the sake of having something to say, but I just concluded that I just simply had nothing to say many times, so I just made a very short post with what I did and that’s it. And it worked quite well for me ^^ .

Another thing that I understand completely. In my case it’s from having a currently-not-so-healthy brain, and I want to drop everything frequently and retreat to the safe bubble. I think that’s inevitable, but I also think that none of what we’ve already done will be taken from us. Even if you didn’t read anything since the challenge finished, that won’t take away the two full months that you did read. So don’t beat yourself up, you did indeed work a lot (55 hours of just reading alone? That’s impressive). I think it’s also good to chill for a bit :stuck_out_tongue: .

I think in my case in particular, perhaps it’s the limitation to “reading” that feels just a tiny bit suffocating sometimes. I’m not a particularly avid reader in my day to day life, though I really like reading, especially if it’s something that I have a lot of interest in. Reading everday, for two months, in a foreign language that I don’t have a very solid grasp on yet… yeah that’s work on top of work. I’ve struggled a bit to find something that I would love to read every single day, so many days were just a filler to keep the streak going. But on the other hand, I would absolutely have no issue at all, and I know this for a fact because I do it already, to do anything in Japanese everyday. And what I mean by that is: I could read one day, then listen to podcasts the next, then back to reading the other, then watching a couple episodes of a TV show, then a couple videos on YouTube, then back to reading. And so on.

Now, I don’t want to change the soul of the challenge, especially when most people here are fine with it being exclusively for reading (and I am as well, for the most part!). But I’m wondering, could we make it work somehow… if we made it broader to other media, something like a “Japanese every day challenge - [season] 2022” sort of thing? Where people who wanted to read read, people who wanted to listen to podcasts listened to them, people who wanted to watch anime/TV shows/whatever (always being mindful of not publicly sharing piracy), and so on? So everyone would still make updates like we already do, but they would be of any sorts. I think it would attract more people, more interactions, and more discoveries and sharing.

It’s just a thought though! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’m getting ready for the Winter challenge. I’m interested in knowing what’s you all’s opinion on this though. I would like it myself, but I can definitely see how some wouldn’t like it. Also it’s worth mentioning that it wouldn’t mean to change the focus from reading, everybody would still have their own personal goals which can still focus entirely on reading :slightly_smiling_face: . It would drift away a bit from being some sort of book club, though.

9 Likes

I like that idea. That way on days that I watch anime, I don’t have to scramble to read something especially if I’m not in the mood and just want to go to bed. It would also mean that I will have more reason to watch some of my anime backlog.

5 Likes

I’m also up for this.
I’ve been flexible some days in my interpretation of reading to include things like reading subtitles, menus, and dialogue in a Japanese video game.

I think in most cases I’d then scramble to try read a token amount of something proper.
Lately It’s just so happened that Ive primarily been reading manga, but eventually I want to do a similar deep dive into a video game and was planning on probably just counting that if it aligned with a challenge window.

I’ve often enjoyed other people (like you!) posting in here about video games and such just as much as posts about books proper.

Great framing.

I often run into this where I judge myself negatively (also bad brain) because I’ve seemingly failed to create and stick with a habit say after the challenge ends.

6 Likes

Its a difficult one. Last challenge I read and posted everyday, but this challenge I was too busy/tired so while I read pretty much everyday I only found the energy to post sporadically. I think I enjoyed and felt like a part of a little community more in the first challenge so posting and interacting in the thread daily does seem like an important part but sometimes when you are tired しかたがない🤷

I’d also be fine with this! Might help me stop slacking with listening haha…

7 Likes

Also very fine with this! I think everyone set their own parameters for the reading challenge anyway and decided what counted for them to be able to tick that box. There was some discussion at the beginning of the thread about what made it different to Tadoku - maybe the difference is that everyone defines their own content but we’re all still trying to stick to it for 2 months.

6 Likes

@rikaiwisdom Username checks out! I wasn’t able to put it into words myself, but I agree with all your comments about habits and challenge aftermath. And @windupbird, just want to express my appreciation for all the wonderful, illustrated comments you posted, and the effort you put into them! Thank you. :blush:

5 Likes

Today I finished ゆるさば volume my 25th manga volume this year.
The manga is about a dad and his three daughters one day noticing that all other people disappeared. It shows their everyday life in a world without other humans.

But this is just the beginning there is still so much more I want to read in japanese. In the future I want to read not only manga but also lots of books and visual novels, especially the super hard ones. I showed some of the harder books I have to my teacher and she was totally shocked.

12 Likes

Ha, this is a good point xD A challenge is…a challenge. I guess I feel like this “challenge” shouldn’t really be a challenge for me but that’s just my stupid brain. I’m sort of known in my family as “the bookworm” (because I did nothing but read as a child), and the fact that I now have to make myself pick up a book makes me feel guilty…just reminds me again that I’m living a lie :pensive:

Another true thing that is hard for me to accept. (All or nothing strikes again)

So…I guess I am uncertain about this idea xD My feelings are mixed. (I hate that I feel that way >< I feel like I’m always the party pooper because I’m bad with change)

Rambling thoughts

I’m not sure I’d really want the official/core challenge to be a more general “Japanese every day” challenge, but at the same time I wouldn’t have a problem at all if some people in the challenge wanted to make it into a more general challenge for themselves and post about other things they’re doing in Japanese? If that makes sense? (it probably doesn’t lmao) I definitely wouldn’t mind if people wanted to choose to count other types of media for their streak - I think if that fits your personal goals, that’s totally valid and I’m all for it. But I like having a specific base (ie, reading) for the challenge because it feels more…focused, I guess? I like having a more defined “core”/required action (that people can then adjust for themselves, if they would like), vs. having to come up with my own core from scratch (because I never do anything when I set my own goals - I do better with a liiittle more preset/external structure/requirements).

Reading is pretty much the only thing I ever do in Japanese (as much as I fail at reading consistently, I have way more trouble getting myself to do anything else lol), so I feel like making the challenge more general wouldn’t really help me personally, and I feel like it’s more motivating for me in a way if we’re (mainly) doing a similar activity together. But I also fully realized that this challenge is not “for me” exclusively, it is for everyone, and I do see how a broadened challenge could be helpful for people who maybe have more interest in other types of media (I just don’t personally have a lot of interest in those things, it seems :sweat_smile:). It seems like a few other people would like it to be broader, and like you mentioned, if it was a broader “do something in Japanese every day” challenge, I could always just do my 2 months as a pure reading challenge. I do worry that it would lose a bit of the “we’re all in this together” feeling though, if it starts to get really varied as to what everyone is doing.

8 Likes

:heart::heart::heart: Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed them :3

4 Likes

It absolutely makes sense to me, and my thoughts are along the same lines.

Yep, exactly that.

At the same time, I‘m wondering just like you :grin: Do I want everybody to stick to reading because I want to stick to reading? But should this really force everybody to stick to reading? and so on. In the end, I think that for most people, watching something in Japanese is fun while reading something is tough, and if this is to remain a challenge, it should be about the tough things…

7 Likes

Just a short post from me. Sorry if I come across as blunt! I should be studying for my exam :eyes: :sweat_drops:

On the topic of staying consistent: Remember that by “signing up” for this challenge, you only signed up for two months or so of reading every day. Not “every day from here on out” :wink: And like other’s have said, the “challenge” in the title is there for a reason. It’s okay to be relieved after doing something you otherwise wouldn’t be doing for two months straight.

Re: Japanese practice other than reading.

I like the idea of grinding other skills too, though my opinion is that it doesn’t really fit this thread. I think it’d be better to start a separate thread if people want to do that.

10 Likes

I also prefer for the reading challenge to continue to be about reading. I agree that it’s totally okay for people to interpret that in creative ways, but at its core what drew me to this group was the fact that it was a sort of book club. Seeing screenshots of cute manga, reading other people’s thoughts on books I someday might like to read, talking about weird scary stories and learning fun facts about the prefectures were the most fun parts for me. I feel like broadening the challenge would make things too general. But having a sister “listen to Japanese” challenge could be interesting!

10 Likes

lol, given the very uneven way I’ve approached my Japanese studies (ie most of it being reading) I feel the exact opposite to this haha. I’ve recently been trying to do more watching of things in Japanese (without just relying on the subs) and it’s haaard.

That said, I totally understand the views of those who would prefer the challenge to stay as it is. I honestly don’t really care either way - it wouldn’t bother me if it was widened, but I’m also very happy with it as it is. I think (as others have mentioned) it’s already all done in a pretty forgiving spirit, so if someone wants to count games etc etc etc I don’t think anyone is going to get mad about that even within the framing of the current challenge. I’m wondering if that might even be a middle ground that could be taken, something like just adding another line to the description of the next challenge along the lines of ‘This is primarily a reading challenge, but if you want to build a habit of something else Japanese related and want to join in for the community spirit then feel free!’ :thinking:

8 Likes