📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

November 3rd!

Today I read a chapter of Flying Witch. I’m really enjoying this series so far, it feels kind of cosy and I think Chinatsu is a really cute character :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

21 Likes

Well then, I guess I’ll :eyes:

Saw Harvestella had a demo, so decided why not try it? And why not in Japanese (the language it was made in, pretty sure)?

The font used is… terrible. xD I had to kinda draw な in the air to figure out that was what it was. そ was even worse since it kinda looks like て but with horns. >_<’

Seems to be fine for katakana and kanji though, only hiragana is a mess.

At least I could figure it out. I didn’t play that far yet. If I understood correctly, the demo lets you play through chapter 2 of the story. But I could have gotten that wrong. It did mention something about 15 game days too, but I wasn’t sure if that was the max amount of days you could play, or if it was 15 days after finishing chapter 2. So yeah, not sure.

Didn’t seem that difficult yet, but I’ve barely begun.

19 Likes

That must have been part of what formed his opinion, but also my guess is that for pretty much the entirety of his life comparisons between East and West would have been a standard topic of debate. That period of Japanese history was a massive societal revolution and influx of Western ideas, inventions and customs that touched every aspect of peoples’ lives[*] – everybody would have had a view on how much of it was necessary, what parts were going too far, often nostalgia or regret for what was disappearing. And it wasn’t merely rapid change, but rapid change forced by outside pressures, so it would have been tied up with questions of national identity too.

[*] applies more strongly to the more educated and urban population. If you were a peasant out in the back end of nowhere then your life was a lot less affected (i.e. remained terrible grinding poverty pretty much up to the end of the second world war), though there were some changes like the opening up of factory work. Mikiso Hane’s Peasants, Rebels, Women, and Outcastes is good on the social history of the rural population at this time. Conversely, Seidensticker’s Low City, High City covers the changes a Tokyo resident would have seen.

17 Likes

Main Post

On November the 3rd I:

• Took some more notes on わんわん探偵団。:dog2:
21 Likes

Today I read the next short story in ボッコちゃん. This story was not that interesting maybe the next one will be better.

18 Likes

Summary Post

Day 34: November 3rd
What did I read?: きつねくんと先生
How much did I read?: 11 pages
How long did it take me?: 13 min

I am struggle :upside_down_face: No motivation to do anything, probably a combination of time of month and time of year.
But today I learned that apparently they have BANANA FLAVORED TOOTHPASTE in Japan??? Like for kids??? Where was this when I was growing up? I hated like 90% of all…flavors when I was a kid, including stupid bubble gum, which is the only non-mint flavor of toothpaste I remember there being. Except cinnamon, but I also hated that :joy: Idk what I brushed my teeth with as a child, there must have been some other flavor I’m forgetting that I could tolerate, but banana would have been nice, I think.

Anyway, after brushing their teeth, Kitsune-kun and Sensei went to a festival - Kitsune-kun wore a tiny yukata :smiling_face:

22 Likes

Home post

Day 33:

Priority: :houses: 青桐.

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人.

Extra: :shallow_pan_of_food: ダンジョン飯 4.

Mandarin?!: :merperson: 伯爵与妖精 1.

19 Likes

2022-11-04T01:40:00Z

Can anyone help me decipher this panel, please?

It’s true that’s the meaning but it’s usually spoken with a negative tone, at least in my dialect of English. After all, having to perform a marriage in haste or in private without any public announcement is still regarded as socially improper. On the other hand, if it was announced publicly beforehand, it wouldn’t be called an elopement even if it was in haste or done privately after all.

14 Likes

Oooh I like that art work :eyes:

Yeah, my friend said something to that effect as well. It comes with a strong sense of running away / going against your family’s wishes.

it me

I have so many books going but I am tempted to start this after peeking the summary. And it’s short!

I’m fascinated by the responses (tried quoting but so many :astonished: ) about the elopement definitions! Definitely seems there is strong regional variation. I probably need to be a bit mindful of using it casually when talking to people from different countries :sweat_smile:

I actually haven’t done my reading yet to day, but I will, I promise.
It will probably be me starting into ユージニア for the first week coming up

13 Likes

That style of font is my biggest Japanese-gaming pet peeve :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Ooh we’ve got some font fun today :eyes:

Looks to me like ツンキャラは純粋(ピュアネス)守る鎧だねアイアンヴァージン。

Ooh yeah I looked it up and I’ve definitely seen that font before, I don’t remember where but it sure is a funky one :joy: I assure you you’ll get used to it though, I have faith haha

17 Likes

Tsun-character is indeed an armor to protect pureness(純粋) – Iron Virgin, Keima. I am not sure of the context?

5 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 3rd :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Still feelin a lil funky but was easier to do work today than yesterday.

Read:

• からかい上手の高木さん chapters 5 and 6 – I’m now past the stuff I’ve already read and into new stuff! Enjoying this series quite a bit. Pure cute “romance” comedy, which is a little shift from よつばと!There’s no real stakes here, but in a different way. I enjoy this style of 日常系 as well, but I tend to like the stuff without romance/romantic subtext a little more. No complaints though, it is undeniably and certifiably really stinkin cute :tm:.
  • Tae Kim 151 → 158 – all sorts of stuff for making requests. Good clarification between negative commands like 食べるな and polite requests like 食べな (as shortened 食べなさい). I think i’ve definitely gotten those grammar points confused when reading before.
Good Words

空き缶「あきかん」ー empty can
間接キス「かんせつきす」ー indirect kiss (…wonder how many times i’ve heard this without seeing it)
距離「きょり」ー distance, range
日直「にっちょく」ー class duties
黒板「こくばん」ーblackboard

EXCUSE ME WHAT I wonder if that means ヤンダ’s choice drink in よつばと! was supposed to be even more of a joke than I thought :joy:

Whoops, hit wrong reply button sorry!

20 Likes

Home

クールドジ男子⑤ got here today! I only got 6 books this time (since I also got the 2.43 夏祭り acrylic stand set), but it’s funny that they all ended up being the same larger page size. Also, I’m sad that Bookmeter (and I assume Amazon too) still doesn’t have an image for CDD5.

Today I started reading the first story in おばちゃんたちのいるところ, reading 4 pages. I’d wanted to read more, but I started reading this one late, so I’m too tired lol

I finished 僕らの食卓 today. I love it so much…

19 Likes

:eyes: Not sure if you’re aware, but we actually have a book club for Takagi-san here on the forums! Feel free to drop in if you ever have any questions, or just to chat!

End of shameless plug, and back to lurking

13 Likes

November 3 :maple_leaf: Home Post

I went wild and finished up volume 9 of ブルーロック and then proceeded to read all of volume 10 :joy: I didn’t mean to, I really shouldn’t have but I just had to know what happened. And oh boy was it something :eyes: I’m very curious to see what will happen now, so onto my new volumes!! :tada:

20 Likes

I finished reading クロウカシス today! Overall it was a pretty good story but definitely suffered from a lot of pacing issues in the middle I think. The ending and how the mystery was solved was very satisfying though. Usually a lot of mystery genre stuff I read in the medium has trouble with writing good endings but I liked this ending a lot.

My main issue with the game is the route system though, you have so many choices on what you can do it can be confusing. Its setup like a detective solve the mystery type VN so having the freedom is nice but there were like 4 endings I couldn’t get even with a guide :sweat_smile: There’s multiple guides for the game and there’s a lot of inconsistencies between them on what you’re supposed to do to get certain endings and the 4 I’m missing I couldn’t get no matter what. I got the true ending at least which is the most important one but I almost always 100% complete VNs so it is a bit annoying to be missing a few character routes.

Now that I’m finished with that VN, I’ll probably spend all of tomorrow scrolling through VNs trying to find something new that catches my eye

21 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

November 2nd・November 3rd:
:red_square: 魔女の宅急便 (14% → 16%)
:red_square: おばちゃんたちのいるところ (0% → 4%)

Mostly living that “tiny read” life. I don’t know if blazing through Conan made me want to slow down, or if there being a deadline for finishing Conan helped motivate me further to read. :thinking:

Kiki’s off and searching for a place to settle down in. She’s hoping for a city, which I sympathize with. (I’m definitely more of a city person than a suburb/countryside person.) I also started reading おばちゃんたちのいるところ. I saw there was a book club, and I had wanted to read the book for some time. I make no promises about staying on track with the club, but I’ll try not to be too far behind, at least.

22 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: November 3

Didn’t read the previous day as a kind of break (and I wasn’t sure what to read either) but today I got わたしの幸せな結婚 on a whim as I’d seen it recommended by a few people in here. At some point I became unable to buy Rakuten books with my non-Japanese card and I’m done paying for books that I can only read in a specific app and may one day disappear, so I tried amazon.jp and it took a few tries to get it right but eventually I was able to purchase the book, download it and convert it to .epub so I can do quick lookups with rikaikun (yes, this is 100% legal). I’m satisfied with this option because I’ve always found it appalling when as a paying customer you get a worse and more inconvenient product than if you were to straight up pirate it. Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, digression over. I started わたしの幸せな結婚 and plan on reading it without deadlines, just for fun, since reading 狼と香辛料 on a hard deadline was a bit stressful.

わたしの幸せな結婚 (0% → 6%)

23 Likes

Edit: Obs! I am talking about the font in Harvestella, not about the screenshot above from @saidahgilbert.

I wonder what it is trying to convey? Like why pick such a weird font? Or maybe it is a purely aesthetic choice. I don’t know enough about Japanese fonts to know if they carry some kind of genre stuff (like on book covers the font choice often accents the genre, at least if looking at like US covers and probably UK covers of books, can’t speak for other markets).

Oh for sure. After I figure out what character it is, it gets readable, but it makes me wonder. Fonts are usually picked to be readable, why is that considered readable? Or is the standard different for the Japanese game development scene. :joy:

8 Likes