📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Home

Yesterday I read 初恋 by 一樹らい. You can definitely tell how much she loves kagehina lol (she’s drawn a bunch of kghn DJs as ぶぶん飯店), the main characters look quite a bit like them, though that’s about as far as their similarities extend. This story’s also kind of like the opposite of Boy Meets Maria, despite the similarities in premise. Both have an amab person who was raised as a girl for much of their childhood because of their mother, before finally deciding they’re gonna put themself first and live as a boy even if it hurts her, and then the main character falls in love with them thinking they’re a girl and still loves them after learning otherwise. (Oh yeah and there’s trauma, but definitely not the same type.) But Ichigo is certain of his gender, while Yuu doesn’t know what he is; and Taiga might worry a bit at first about whether he likes Yuu as a girl or as a boy, but he pretty easily decides it doesn’t matter and puts it behind him, while Yuusa has a sexuality crisis. They’re both really good in their own way.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it includes the one-shot よりみち!

I also read the first two chapters of 君には届かない。vol 2. I had to skim vol 1 first though since I kinda forgot what happened, plus I got part of it mixed up with 恋ではないと思いたい.

Some vocab of note:

見殺し (みごろし) [noun] letting (someone) die without helping

20 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 33, 2nd of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Reading more of Kiki, this time checking my attempts at deciphering the grammar with ichi.moe. Obviously that isn’t a perfect solution, as just in the second sentence I found a new grammar point I hadn’t known before and which wasn’t shown there.

• のように / のような - similar to

When you only know の to indicate possession, then the idea that it could be part of a phrase isn’t forefront in your mind. Really glad Bunpro exists! Searching through grammar points is incredibly tedious in a dictionary, so this is an excellent resource.

23 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: November 2 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

夜カフェ2 :cake:

I think a read a bit less than half the chapter, this is a slightly longer one than usual. The next stopping point was close enough to the end that I had a choice of either stopping or finishing the chapter, and finishing the chapter was probably another hour away. So tomorrow it is.

22 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 2 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (9% → 17%)

Thought I wouldn’t have time to read today, so I read earlier than usual. Then I suddenly had plenty of time to read, so I read some more (was actually trying to take a nap this time).

Encountered the word 嵩張(かさば)る today in Honzuki. It’s fun because I just learned it the other day from Spice & Wolf.

26 Likes

Erm… I wrote this 3 hours ago. After which I proceeded to read the first chapter (45 pages) of Junji Ito’s うずまき… Not even one of the books I had in progress, no, I had to go start a new one…I need help :see_no_evil:

Anyway… Interesting words I came across:
駆け落ち - elopement, running away with a lover
手の施しようがない - beyond help
前触れ - advance warning, portent, omen

And just look at the detail in this panel (nothing scary, I promise)

26 Likes

November 2nd!

Today I read Chapter 14 of Orange.
I think I’m getting a cold, since I’m a bit sniffly and headachy - so reading todays chapter took me longer than usual, but even though I find Orange quite a tough read sometimes I always enjoy it so much :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

23 Likes

So I used this casually in conversation once to reference some friends of mine who eloped and was met with shock. I guess it has a very negative connotation in Japanese whereas at least where I grew up saying someone eloped just means it was done fast and/or quietly, but not necessarily a bad thing. Google says Today the term "elopement" is colloquially used for any marriage performed in haste or in private or without a public period of engagement. which matches my understanding, but I do also wonder if it’s true for everywhere English is spoken :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

I always forget to post in this thread.
ボッコちゃん
Today I read seven pages and finished the next short story. What I like about this book is, that sometimes rarer grammar points are used which you usually don’t see that often.
Konosuba Vol.1
I read the next four pages. This book is pretty easy that means I don’t need to look up vocabulary that often.

20 Likes

Finished Chainsaw Man 6 yesterday. Will start 7 and probably finish that tomorrow since its my day off. I might even just binge read. Who knows. My addiction to YouTube seems to be waning a little so I might be able to focus more.

21 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 2nd :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Had a really odd day–not entirely sure what’s up, but was just in a really weird kinda melancholic mood when I woke up. Since it’s rainy season and the days get so short here, maybe I just haven’t been getting enough sun or something. Made sure to take a walk and dug out my sunlight lamp. Ended up spending a bunch of time playing stuff in English after work just to see if I could kinda shake off the funk, but to no real avail.

BUT! I’m not willing to give up my streak, so power through I suppose.

• Tae Kim 144 → 151 – some nice clarification about giving/receiving verbs. Main new thing of note was て form + みる for trying things out vs volitional とする for making an attempt to do something.
  • からかい上手の高木さん chapters 3 and 4.

Kindle is working mostly fine so far, it’s kind of a pain to zoom in and read furigana because it kinda breaks and you have to wait for it to register, but this hasn’t come up a whole lot. It really messes up the pages in between chapters sometimes, maybe when I converted my epubs to aw3 I messed up somewhere

Good Words

指導「しどう」ー guidance, coaching
爆笑「ばくしょう」ー burst of laughter
筋肉痛「きんにくつう」ー sore muscles
三日坊主「みっかぼうず」ー monk for three days (exp), someone who can’t stick to anything

Absolutely! Looking forward to it :smile: (at this rate it’ll just be another what, 2 years? :sweat_smile:)

I think it generally has a negative connotation in English too, it has a sort of accusatory tone for something that’s maybe not all that well thought out. I might use it to describe a situation to other people, but probably wouldn’t say it directly to the people who are eloping, if that makes sense. I usually associate it with romantic period works: Ethan Frome, Sorrows of Young Werther, Daisy Miller, that sort of stuff with a few hot headed lovers making some questionable decisions in their haste and passion, at least.

23 Likes

Home post

Day 32:

Priority: :x:

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人.

Read-aloud: :curly_loop: ミステリと言う勿れ 1.

Mandarin?!: :merperson: 伯爵与妖精 1.

23 Likes

November 2 :maple_leaf: Home Post

More ブルーロック today! I would’ve liked to read more than I did but I’m still most of the way through volume 9 and there’s big plot stuff going on, I’m very curious to see how that resolves as well as what happens around it :eyes:

22 Likes

Home

I went ahead and read the last two chapters (about 27 pages of text) of 夜カフェ② to finish the volume, though since that’s only one chapter ahead and I dunno when we’re starting vol 3, I dunno how much time that buys me lol

nguuuuuuu I think when I get the next vol of 君には届かない。I’m just gonna go ahead and get through the most recent too (that’s currently vol 6, I believe). Vol 1 ended in a place where it’s like “noooo why would you end it there???” and vol 2 does too. And then there are a few 番外編, and then that “if” story??? “What if Yamato got into an accident and lost his memories”??? And then it ends with him telling Kakeru that he doesn’t mind if he never remembers anything else, but the one thing he doesn’t want to forget is him because he likes him??? Like, the last page is just one big panel with Yamato telling Kakeru, “好きだよ,” when in the main story he doesn’t have the courage to confess. Why would you do this to me. I am not okay.

I read SPY×FAMILY mission 13-14. I’m now caught up with the club! The next chapter is the dodgeball chapter, which I’m excited about.

I also started 僕らの食卓, reading ch 0-2. I like the naming theme in this manga. We’ve got 穂積 豊 (ほづみ ゆたか), which kinda conjures up imagery of like a big field of corn or something, and the 上田 brothers 穣 (みのる) and 種 (たね). Plus, 豊穣 means “abundant (grain) crop; good harvest.” Also, look how cute they are:

The art, naming scheme, and story all have this like soft, warm feeling to them, I love it. Like freshly cooked rice. Ahh, I want rice now…

Some vocab of note:

のびる [自一] to become soggy (e.g. of noodles). This is 伸びる/延びる, though idk which this sense usually uses, or if it’s usually written in kana, but it was in kana in the manga.
ケンタ [colloquialism, noun] Kentucky Fried Chicken; KFC
レトルト [noun] sealed plastic pouch typically containing ready-made sauce or stew; boil-in-bag
呼び捨て (よびすて) [noun] addressing without an honorific

19 Likes

It seemed more negative than I’d expect in the manga too, especially since it was in a conversation between the couple. The boy suggests they escape this town, and the girl is incredulous: “You mean 駆け落ち?” His reaction seemed a little harsh to me, but I thought it was because he was spooked by the town and wasn’t thinking about romance at that moment.

Relevant panels (still nothing scary)

I suppose it could be a cultural thing? It seems to me that in Japan, going against societal norms is much more frowned upon than elsewhere in the world.

15 Likes

02 November 2022

:house: Home Post

• NHK Easy Articles

Late day, without much reading. I learned about the existence of お茶漬け, which is a snack where you have tea poured over rice served with various other things.

17 Likes

I got curious and checked Daijirin and it says that it means (among others) that a couple runs away to marry because they couldn’t get their parents’ permission. So I could imagine that this last bit might have been the shocking part for your Japanese friends?

45 pages… wow… :cold_sweat:

checks the dropdown

Oh! A manga :sweat_smile:

While we are talking… I will finish 人間椅子 as well as Kafka this week, and my Flesh&Blood mateys are taking their time atm, so I was thinking about reading Autumn Prison as a non-spooky spooky book in-between (it’s only 180 pages, which sounds like 2 weeks-ish even with other stuff going on). From the Bookwalker hype it seems to be a good idea to start it on Nov 7th, I guess? (didn’t read the abstract though…) What do you think, would you be interested? (Or anybody else, for that matter, of course!) :blush:
We could even reuse the old discussion thread if we like…

21 Likes

Haha, no, 45 novel pages as an afternoon extra would be a tiny bit extreme for my current level of fluency. :sweat_smile:
A goal to look forward to.

Another book club? On top of the IBC, ABC, Mystery Club, 糞尿譚 Club (who am I kidding) and the no-idea-how-many books I’m reading independently? :scream: Of course I’m in! :grin: I kept looking at it and wasn’t sure if I should get it, but it’s so cheap right now, and the premise does look interesting, so, sure! I’ll regret it later, but I’m in!

17 Likes

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :roll_eyes: … Ahem.

I knew I could count on you! :grin:

So Nov 7th it is, then?

8 Likes

Nov 7th! :+1:

I tried looking at that old thread and it’s a bit chaotic. Do you think it might be better to make a reread thread instead of using that one?

7 Likes

Hmmm, do you think that we actually discuss so much that a new thread is warranted? Also, I wasn’t really planning on having a proper schedule either :thinking: and rather saying “let’s read maybe 10-15 pages a day (or whatever each of us thinks is good) and see where we end up going”?

Admittedly I just thought of making a new post in the thread and announcing the reread, and then continue in the same chaotic fashion :sweat_smile:

7 Likes