📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

He wanted to send a text to my friend this morning, so I sent through what he wrote with his paw. Who knew touch screens would respond to paws? :joy:

20 Likes

October 20-21 :heavy_check_mark: :mountain_snow:

山の霊異記 幻惑の尾根 , 18-28%

I started reading rather late yesterday, and while I only had a bit left in my story I just couldn’t keep my eyes open - and it wasn’t the story’s fault. I finished it today, as well as the next one. Being overoptimistic I started one more, but I probably won’t have time to complete it today.
I continue loving the stories. Yesterday’s was very mysterious, no answers even attempted to be given. Brief summary: The narrator is overtaken by another hiker, who briefly talks to him before continuing ahead, after which he feels like he’s being followed, even consumed, by an incredibly bad smell. He’s almost going crazy by that smell, until he finds a couple of hikers he had met before. He stops to chat a little, then leaves them behind. As he leaves, he hears the woman ask her husband about a horrible smell, and he realizes he can’t smell it any more. Much later as he’s resting at a mountain hut, he hears there has been an accident involving that specific couple. We are left to connect the dots as we see fit. .
The next one was almost heartwarming in its eeriness. Brief summary: He keeps hearing a voice calling out as he’s hiking, without seeing anyone. When he sees a woman and child talking about what that voice is saying, he assumes it’s the father who walks ahead. But when he asks them, they are very surprised he can even hear the voice. Apparently it’s the voice of the father alright, but he had died three years ago in these mountains, and no one else hears when he calls out to them. The voice is happy, by the way, and points out interesting bits of the scenery. They said it always keeps them company until they’ve reached a safe place.

24 Likes

21 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 35-37)

23 Likes

Oct 21, Fri of Week 4 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• かがみの孤城 (上) 20% => 22% (start of Ch.2 June)

I should excuse that I don’t feel quite well today, with muscle soreness and sore throat since morning, up to right now. However, reading on a smartphone while waiting, and keep at it after that is doable.

22 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 21 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (82% → 84%)

Was a bit busy with something, only had time for so much reading today.

Also yawned so much my nose became runny. Thought it was because I’m tired as heck, but then I realized I had forgotten to open the window this whole evening :joy: Letting in fresh air, no more yawns :relieved:

24 Likes

October 21st!

Today I read Chapter 27 of Happiness. I’m really enjoying volume 6 so far, and I’m interested to see where the story goes next.

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Main Post

On October the 21st I:

• Read today’s NHK Easy News.
23 Likes

:books: 10月20日

• FFXIV

:books: 10月21日

• ルーパーズ (~5300c)

Playing with my secondary FFXIV character again since the other day, loving every second of it. I’m taking it extremely slow, reading everything and doing every side quest I find which is definitely not something I did with my main character back then. I did read the whole story but I never bothered with side quests because unless you’re specifically interested in them they’re for the most part completely pointless. With the language learning approach and curiosity though, it’s fun and also nice little lore about every area and whatnot. I won’t be done any time soon that’s for sure, it will be a looooooong, long journey…

24 Likes

Home post

Day 20:

Priority: :houses: 青桐. The main character is ever so good at both acting normal and keeping secrets, mmhmm.

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人. I nominate 加々見 as the next victim because he is irritating me.

Extra: A very little bit of :shallow_pan_of_food: ダンジョン飯 4. All the ways you might not be resurrected successfully even if where you die is the dungeon.

Snatches of: :magic_wand: ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団. Manipulating Hagrid into telling them all about where he’s been.

Read-aloud: :gem: 伯爵と妖精 1 with Bri and @rodan. This is about the point when, the first time I was reading this, I started to be surprised by how dark it could be.

24 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 21 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

Another busy day. I watched an episode of One Piece with Japanese subtitles.

edit: got the date mixed up. fixed it.

22 Likes

Home

Manga Republic has a $10 off coupon right now, so I found a few manga that Amazon doesn’t have available for international shipping for relatively cheap. Boys Run the Riot is unfortunately not among those, so I’m gonna have to try and find it elsewhere some other time. I did get a couple more Hideyoshico manga though.

I read vol 31 of HQ. I encountered in the chapter about Kita a phrase that describes the message in バレーボールの神様: 結果より過程が大事. And I had just yesterday been thinking that Kita’s more similar to this Tanaka kid than is Subaru, despite that the bit we about Tanaka-kun on the 主要人物紹介 page makes them seem similar. Even if the timeline of when Kabei-sensei started developing Fukuhou and the team lines up, she definitely didn’t base Subaru off of him, just Fukuhou off of Fukui HS, and any similarities are purely superficial.

Suga: Sometimes I can still hear his voice…

I wonder if anyone ships Kita and Oomimi, even if only because of Oomimi’s recent worry: 北とお茶を飲んでいたら侑に「老夫婦みたい」言われた事. (Actually, I don’t remember Oomimi from the anime at all lol. I know people ship Kita with Aran though, and they’re a good ship. So’s ushikita.)

Oh yeah, and who the hell is that bearded man spectating who the “camera” occasionally cuts to. He seems slimy. I don’t like him, haven’t since he first showed up.

Also! Most volumes have the same title as one of the chapters within it, but this one doesn’t—it’s called “ヒーロー,” but the final chapter is called “守護神のヒーロー”! And it’s one of the ones where we don’t get the title until the very end of the chapter!! After they’ve scored off of the first of Atsumu’s serves that Noya’s successfully received overhand and he’s celebrated with Asahi, he turns and points to Hisashi on the sidelines because he!! He’s his hero!! Hisashi’s the reason he was able to receive it!! And then on the last page, we get the title right below the panel with Hisashi almost like a label:

Yup, I really love this series. (And of course the front cover is Noya, with Hisashi behind him facing the opposite direction; and then the cover page is the other side of that: Hisashi with Noya at his back.)

Some vocab of note:

温存 (おんぞん) [noun, する verb (他)] preservation; retainment; keeping
さけるチーズ [noun] string cheese
ぽっち [suffix] a little; paltry; piddling; mere. Often seen as っぽっち.
好戦的 (こうせんてき) [な-adj.] belligerent; warlike
悪足掻き (わるあがき) [noun, する verb] useless resistance; vain struggle
いかんせん [expression] to one’s regret; regrettably; unfortunately
多勢に無勢 (たぜいにぶぜい) [expression, noun] being outnumbered (e.g. in a military context)
ドツボにハマる [expression, ラ五] to find oneself in deep trouble; to be in deep shit

22 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: October 21st :jack_o_lantern: (Home Post Link)

I saw there was a steam update today to get a special costume in ナツノカタナ until Halloween just for playing, so I launched the game and played around for about 20 minutes. Still really hard for me (+no furigana), but I was definitely understanding more than I when I tried to play it last back in august. I remember getting stuck in a section because I wasn’t sure what the game was asking me to do and just being entirely unable to progress, and I breezed through that section this time. I technically got an ending to the game too! (Even if it was a quitter ending :sweat_smile:) I’ll probably have to set up one of those text capture things for desktop if I actually wanted to play through this, but still cool to see noticeable improvements where you can.

よつばと! chapter 59 – aaaa i was kinda hoping for an easy chapter today but it was not so. The とーちゃん and friends go out for 焼肉 and bring よつば along, have a bit to drink, and chat about cars, girls, hair loss, and whether ジュラルミン can talk. よつば is mostly unperturbed by the discussions going on around her, and is mostly focused on figuring out how to use a pair of tongs. This is another one I went to go read in english after, and the translator/typesetters for this chapter are much much much better. Basically all the things I complained about are fixed, so maybe I just happened to need the english on a bad chapter lmao. Maybe this is official translation? not sure.

I think I got the gist of most of what they were talking about before switching to english, but some of the cultural references and joking/jabbing went way way over my head lmao.

Good Words

半額「はんがく」ー half off, half price
座敷「ざしき」ー formal tatami room (here a private room at the 焼肉 place)
円卓「えんたく」ー round table
生(ビール)「なま」ー draft beer, tap beer
はっけよい ー phrase to begin a sumo match
汁「しる」ー juice
冷麵「れいめん」ー cold korean noodles (i think)
はげる ー to become bald

Ok, studying obligation done, back to persona

24 Likes

October 21 :maple_leaf: Home Post

A bit of chaos today: I messed around a bit with キミガシネ at someone’s recommedation and it’s an interesting one for sure, certainly on brand for me :joy: one to keep in mind when I want some death game shenanigans. I also started on volume 6 of ブルーロック and it continues to be wild, and have angst in unexpected places! I’m enjoying it a lot still, excited to see what happens :eyes:

24 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 21st:

• Satori Reader

Couldn’t get myself to do much beyond chores and Satori Reader. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Still, the streak lives on.

23 Likes

October 22nd!

Today I read Chapter 25 of Shadow’s House.
It took me a bit longer than usual as I’m tired, but it was an interesting chapter!

(Home Post)

25 Likes

Some progress.

21/10 6 pages Spy Family (finished chapter)
22/10 11 pages Spy Family, 5 pages Tugumi, 4 pages 耳をすませば

This chapter/mission of Spy Family is going easily so should finish it soon. Finished all the diving on the trip - tomorrow is a long travel day. Transfer to airport, domestic flight, several hours in Manila airport then an overnight flight. So lots of time for reading.

25 Likes

Oct 22, Sat of Week 4 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Happiness Vol.6 Ch.27-30 = full volume (Ch.26 is read beforehand a while ago)

I looked up 9 vocabularies for 4/5 of this volume. Newspapers are indeed not Furigana’d, but isn’t much problem. The ad at the back of are more problematic (but few text, anyway).

• SHADOWS HOUSE Vol.3 Ch.25 (start of the volume)

Ch.26 seems connected with Ch.27-28, and indeed confer some difficulties to me. No need to rush or make a priority.

• かがみの孤城 (上) 22% => 27% (Ch.2 June)

Getting tired. I almost don’t have enough energy to reach a section break. Probably tried too far in one burst.

• かぐや様は告らせたい Vol.26 Ch.254 伊井野ミコは湯切らない

Also watched ペヤング to help with the reference.

23 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221022 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 59.41% :japanese_castle:

Wagahai-cat ponders about the structural integrity of the fence -

It can hold humans a bay, but can it stop a cat, with those holes?

Is the location of the house strategic enough to serve as a stronghold?

Does the house have enough vantage points to see the encroaching enemy?

These are important things for an esteemed cat of the house to think about because Master is incapable of such thoughts.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

職人「しょくにん」ー Craftsman
呑舟の魚「どんしゅうのうお」ー Fish large enough to swallow a boat whole
潜り「くぐり」ー Side door/gate
膃肭臍「おっとせい」ー Alaskan fur seal
軍略「ぐんりゃく」ー Strategy; tactics

27 Likes

This is not really a reading update sadly, but I’ll be away on vacation for a week starting today. I had hoped to get one more day of reading in before then, but alas I did not. I won’t be trying to keep up on the read every day challenge during that time. So if anyone starts wondering where I am - that’s where I am :joy: But I’ll be back! Hopefully a bit more rested and not so kdhvjsdlk :upside_down_face:

Oh, I love this for Rei :pleading_face: Thank you for putting it in my head haha

Why is this my new favorite fact lmao, that’s adorable :joy:

24 Likes

October 22 :heavy_check_mark: :mountain_snow:

山の霊異記 幻惑の尾根 , 28-34%

This story was about mushroom foraging, and it really got me in the mood for some mushrooms. It talked about how much more dangerous an activity it is to hiking. In hiking you have a clear path to follow. In foraging, you get so absorbed in your activity that you lose sight of your surroundings completely, and it’s very easy to wander off somewhere and get lost. There was of course a nicely creepy apparition at the end of it all. :mushroom:

I also learned about 熊除け鈴 today, or bear bells. I hadn’t heard of them, but they make sense to me. Make some noise so that wildlife isn’t startled by you and doesn’t approach you. Looking it up, it seems there’s no conclusive evidence it works, though. And I really like wildlife approaching me, as long as it’s not aggressive, that is. :bear:

26 Likes