📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 12th:

Had homework to finish, so only did some Satori Reader today. This one was a two-parter, though, which hasn’t come up before. Kind of interesting.

I’ve been…forgetting…to move the decimal over?! :scream: That’s it: I’m not allowed to post right before bed (like I’m doing right now) anymore!

25 Likes

Continued reading in 鹿の王.

23 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 11

Finally got back to playing ルーパーズ and managed to get through the club’s Week 8 in 55 minutes. Also did my daily 狼と香辛料 (34% → 37%)

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 12

Read the usual 狼と香辛料 (37% → 40%)

25 Likes

Finished a chapter in the manga 鳥人大系.

27 Likes

:house:
Oct 13

かがみの孤城 53 → 54% (page 195)

Read three pages today. Either the section I’ve been reading recently is easier than usual, or I’m improving. :thinking:

27 Likes

Home Post

I claimed that I wanted to report here weekly, but I already got delayed on the first full week :sweat_smile:

Here is how much I read:

I caught up to the TUGUMI book club, overtook the club and finished the book (well, technically I did not (yet?) read the あとがき but I finished the main thing). :tada:

Then, I decided to drop the 狼と香辛料 book club (I explained a bit of my reasoning in its thread). :sob:

And finally, I switched to catching up on the 海辺のカフカ book club and also started to read Flesh&Blood vol. 5 :pirate_flag:

30 Likes

Main Post

On October the 13th I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News

P. S. Decided to switch the system I use for replying. I used to make each day a reply to my main post, but now I see that it’s much more convenient to reply to the last post. The only disadvantage is that I need to provide the link to the main post and change the bookmark to my latest post every day, but it is a very minor disadvantage.

22 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221013 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 52.54% :evergreen_tree:

Well, that was a huge paragraph (though very amusing)
(most of it was Wagahai-cat still thinking about all the different types of exercise he could do, rather than actually doing any exercise, including a very detailed how-to guide of hunting mantis and cicadas)

The best exercise he recommends:
Jumping on the back of a child unexpectedly

The worst exercise:
Getting your head stuck in a paper bag

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

愛嬌「あいきょう」ー Charm; attractiveness
鰹節「かつおぶし」ー Small pieces of dried bonito
大活躍「だいかつやく」ー Being very active/useful; playing an active/important part; great effort
梧桐「あおぎり」ー Chinese parasol tree (Firmiana Simplex)
執念深い「しゅうねんぶかい」ー Vindictive; tenacious; persistent

27 Likes

Home

Uhhh so I’ve been super tired these past few days, the increased busyness lately at work is really starting to catch up to me. I have read at least a little bit every day since I last posted, though! Just haven’t finished anything. Also I figured out yesterday that the person translating 2.43 on tumblr is literally. just feeding it into Google Translate. No wonder it sucks and has a bunch of glaring mistakes. Like that putting “Stand up” instead of “Can you stand?” for “立てるんけ”? Yeah, that’s exactly what GT gives you, and it completely changes Yuni’s attitude and tone. And the thing is, I’m pretty sure they don’t say anywhere that they rely on GT, they present it as if it’s actually a good translation. Ughhhh I’m even more motivated now to get to the point where I can at least translate the short stories, but… no energy…

Also, my TOM birthday order arrived yesterday! It only took 2 months this time instead of 4 months to even be shipped (and I assume another month or two after that to arrive but I don’t remember). Anyway, I got 魔法使いの騎士 because of the title and I wanted another fantasy. It’s one of the few manga I’ve gotten knowing nothing about it. Anyway, I’d thought it would be het since I’d assumed the other person on the cover was a gal due to being thin and delicate and having long hair, but it turns out he’s a guy! So it could be BL or no-romo, we’ll see (considering the cover though I kinda doubt the latter, so it’s probably gonna be at least a little gay, even if only subtextually). The art’s pretty, too.

Three days ago:

I read 2 pages of 2.43. Yuni’s apparently in the habit of reminding Chika to charge his phone, as Chika has let his die more than once (not many friends, so not on it much, so he forgets about it and it dies, I figure).

I miscounted the day before and I’d actually only read 7 pages of 夜カフェ (that post has now been updated), so I had 11 to read. Although I passed out in the evening after only having read 6.

Day before yesterday:

I read the last 5 pages of 夜カフェ ch 8. I wasn’t expecting the fight to be resolved quite that quickly, even if still within this chapter or possibly in the next.

I really don’t like how if a single bit of dialogue spans multiple paragraphs in this series, the subsequent paragraph(s) don’t get opening quotations. And I’m pretty sure that’s not a feature of the language but rather a (poor) stylistic choice, because I know I’ve seen multi-paragraph dialogue in 2.43 and each chapter does get an opening quote. Y’know. So your brain can actually tell the character’s still talking and this isn’t narrative now so you don’t gotta go back and reread it and lose your patience. (Unless I’m misremembering and this is a feature that’s gonna make me wanna bang my head against the wall in every novel I read…)

I started 晴れのち四季部 vol 2 and read ch 6-7. Somehow this volume, I haven’t had any trouble reading 一瀬 as ひとせ.

The weather’s still hot even though it’s moving into autumn, and Haruno has commented on/complained about the heat a few times. The baseball club have been witness to some of their club activities today, so as everyone’s heading home, a couple of them tease Haruno and Yamato, “Still lovey-dovey (お熱い) as always, huh!” but Haruno misinterprets and replies, “Yeah, it sure is hot (暑い)!” Yamato repeats “おあつい…” to himself on their way home, and considering his blush, I’m pretty sure he does know what it means.

Some vocab of note:

お熱い (おあつい) [い-adj.] passionately in love. Often used teasingly.
以心伝心 (いしんでんしん) [四字熟語, noun, の-adj.] telepathy; tacit understanding; thought transference

Yesterday:

I read ch 8 of 晴れのち四季部. Haruno and Yamato are so friggin’ cute, I’m gonna die.

Some vocab of note:

思いの丈 (おもいのたけ) [expression, noun] one’s whole heart; everything one feels

28 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 13, 13th of October :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Time for チーズスイートホーム chapter 6. Chi is finally taught how to use the トイレ and loses her playpen.

25 Likes

Funassyi book Day 4,5,6:

The woolen hat that funassyi has found on the ground turned out to be a puppy. It did something around funassyi‘s leg (didn’t really understand) which scared them and they ran away thinking the puppy wants to eat them.

Trying to not read the furigana is harder than expected :see_no_evil:

26 Likes

My new dog ate the computer, so I have no Jisho for vocabulary, so reading is tough right now. I have to wait till December to get a new computer. I am asking everyone in my family to give me a gift card for Christmas so I can buy a Japanese-English dictionary. Then watch me read! I miss the reading. I was really on a tear earlier in the year, but vocabulary is still too new for me in the books I have. The reading is easy if I have the words.

26 Likes

Oct 13, Thu of Week 3 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• SHADOWS HOUSE Vol.2 Ch.17-19 (34% => 57%)

Everything is about reading comfort, and whether I can learn well from the material or not. I read manga on my tablet, but I don’t take it everywhere.

The story is interesting, and I haven’t been spoiled by anime or translated version yet. I am yet to catch up with the club.

21 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 13 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (43% → 45%)

Due to busy, just a tiny read.

Spoilery thoughts: I find it hilarious how エックハルト is super excited about being able to serve フェルディナンド again as his official guard, rather than attending the 星結び where he can find a potential girlfriend. There are no illustrations, but I can see the sparkles in his eyes xD

23 Likes

October 13th!

Today I read chapter 3 of Haruiro Astronaut. I’m quite enjoying it, though the way it’s a chapter at the end of each volume of Orange means that it takes me a little while to remember what was happening in the story since I’m reading the chapters about 4-5 weeks apart!

(Home Post)

25 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 13 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Orange :tangerine:

Stress and anxiety stops me from reading more than anything else, which is why I didn’t read yesterday. My brother is now here, but after driving for 8 hours, he was too tired to socialize. Therefore I started reading volume 3 of Orange, aka chapter 9. I’m currently taking a short break slightly more than halfway through the chapter because emotions.

I didn’t really feel like bawling my eyes out with my brother on the same couch as me. So break it was to get my tear ducks to chill out. :joy:

Really amazing chapter so far, and hopefully after this chapter I’ll never forget what べつに means, nor its versatility. :sweat_smile:

And now, I’ll return to read the rest of the chapter.

29 Likes

Two days in one post:
:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 12 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

I forgot to post on the 12th, but I did read stuff! I read 11ぴきのねこ, a story about 11 cats who catch a big fish and eat it. I didn’t understand every word in the book, but I got enough to figure out what was going on. Also, I love cats.

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 13 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

I read another page of ごんぎつね. It took a whole hour to read one page, just cause I looked up nearly every word .-. Maybe this book is a little too difficult for my level right now. Oh well, I’ll just take my time and read it slowly lol. Anyway, one thing I learned is what すすき is. すすき is Japanese pampas grass, which looks like this:

Feels? Oh no this is a sad story isn’t it. :frowning: I like the fox, I don’t want anything to happen to ごん. I’m at the part where it rains for 3 days and ごん walks along the stream. My friend mentioned that this was one of their favorites as well. I’m happy I have the chance to read this story especially if the two of you both really liked the story. :smiley:

27 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 13th:
:red_square: 魔女の宅急便 (5% (not .5%)→ 11%)

Look who’s posting several hours before bed! :laughing: Decided to read all of Chapter 2 in one sitting. I definitely didn’t remember the meanings for all of the words I encountered, but I was able to generally understand what I was reading. I also check using the book club’s vocab spreadsheet after I read through a couple pages to make sure I’m not too far off in my interpretations.

Today was a non-homework day, so I’m wondering if maybe I should read a manga on days I focus on my HW and then save Kiki for my more free days? I could also just accept that I’ll read less on HW days and aim to read a couple of pages. :thinking: Still thinking it over.

28 Likes

Your dog ate your computer? :scream: that sounds like a nightmare.

What kind of J-E dictionaries are you looking at? I think I’ve seen cheap pocket ones, but those are physically difficult to read. Have you made an Amazon wishlist of which ones you want or are you planning to buy it in person?

18 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

October 11

おじさまと(ねこ)7
123 - 135

October 12

おじさまと(ねこ)7
136 -145

October 13

おじさまと(ねこ)7
146 - 160 (end)

For better or worse (but I hope better), I’ve been busy lately. I finally finished vol 7 last night. The plot took a super weird turn but not completely unexpected I suppose. Too many humans in this cat manga. I’m looking forward to being done with it after 8. Then I’m going to try to quickly read through the 2 vol of Nyankees I have.

26 Likes