📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Home Post

I read 4 novels and 4 volumes of manga in Japanese during this challenge. I also finished 2 novels in Mandarin. I did miss 2 days completely, and read in only 1 language 5 days, but all in all, I’d say it was a pretty successful challenge. Most days, I read at least 20 novel pages in Japanese, which was nice since thanks to previous challenges, I was already reading every day, but not as much as I wanted to be. So I’m happy about that. See you all in the winter 2023 challenge!

25 Likes

30 November 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 59)

Hey! We did it!

I’ve come to make huge leaps and bounds in my comprehension from this challenge, and I have you all to thank for keeping me consistent and motivated. Even so, I do feel the fatigue taking it’s toll. Best of luck in the winter reading challenge and all other endeavors!

20 Likes

November 30 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Finishing off the main challenge pretty neutral with just the last chapter of ブルーロック volume 18, which is certainly setting up some interesting things for future reading :eyes:

And with that the challenge is technically over, isn’t that wild :joy: this one was definitely a bumpier ride for me; it started during a really busy time for me and I never actually did anything with my home post whoops which made for an interesting start, but even so I ended up making some solid progress! Looking back I read 17 volumes of ブルーロック over these past two months which is… quite a bit :laughing: so that’s pretty cool, it’s definitely been a lot of fun! I also read 人間椅子 back on Halloween, throwback to that, still pretty wild that I managed to get through that one. I also had various chaos (of course) with some different games, and the バディミッションBOND drama cds that I still need to get back to!! Once I have more brain energy lmao.

But yeah overall pretty successful I think! Definitely some different reading habits than I’ve had in previous challenges, I never tended toward manga as much, but ブルーロック found its way into primary position haha. I imagine I’ll be hanging out here until the next challenge like usual; that one starts while I’m on break so hopefully I’ll be less scattered :joy: great job everyone, onward and upward! :tada:

22 Likes

Home Post

Day 21 Progress:
お隣の天使様 三冊 - 55.18% → 62.01%

Congrats to everyone finishing up the challenge today!

I’m still fighting an uphill battle against work, my sleep schedule, and my own memory but I’ll try to hang in there through December.

Word of the Day: 朋友ほうゆう - friend. I didn’t have any particular words from my reading itself but I saw it in a Kojima tweet and I was pretty surprised because 朋友 is the most common word for ‘friend’ in Mandarin but I thought Japanese didn’t use it (or 朋, for that matter) at all! Always interesting to see which words we share and which words we heavily diverge from.

21 Likes

November Report

Again, managed to read every day :tada:
Yesterday, I spent half the day riding the train, so I had plenty of reading time - and also the story was quite full of action and simply dragged me along :smile:

Challenge Summary

I finished 6 books during the challenge (2 of which I had started earlier already).

• :sunrise:   TUGUMI (with the Intermediate Book Club; read July 29th - Oct 8th)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 5 (with the F&B club; read Oct 9th - Oct 22nd)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 6 (with the F&B club; read Oct 23rd - Oct 29th)
  • :chair:   人間椅子 (with the Halloween Book Club; read Oct 30th - Nov 4th)
  • :beach_umbrella:   海辺のカフカ(下) (with the spin-off book club; read Aug 25th - Nov 10th)
  • :maple_leaf:   秋の牢獄 (with the repeat club; read Nov 6th - Nov 26th)

I started the following books (but did not finish them yet):

• :rose:   ユージニア (with the ABC; read 25%)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 7 (with the F&B club; read almost 75%)

Plans for December

• :rose:   ユージニア (with the ABC; continue to read)
  • :pirate_flag:   Flesh&Blood Vol. 7 (with the F&B club; plan to finish today / tomorrow)
  • :seal:   封印再度 - Who Inside (with the S&M book club; starts Dec 3rd)
  • :stew:   おいしいごはんが食べられますように (with the Compulsive Readers club; starts Dec 5th; plan to finish in December)
  • :prince:   星の王子さま (The Little Prince) (should be able to finish this during my next two sauna visits)
  • :ghost:   おばちゃんがいるところ (with the IBC; pretty much neglected this - maybe it’s time to catch up?)
  • :hole:   穴 (still missing the two non-titular stories; stretch goal: finish this in Dec)
26 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221201 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 86.96% :violin:

The go game sparks a conversation.
Lots and lots of conversation.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

輸贏「ゆえい」ー Victory or defeat; gain or loss
灰汁「あく」ー Lye; harsh/bitter taste; alkaline taste; scum (on broth eg); Self-assertiveness; strong individuality

21 Likes

Oh no, so there won’t be winter challenge threads? :sob: Hoped to participate from day 1 this time :sweat_smile:
I guess I’ll try anyway.

I thought of some short term goals, too:
Finish また、同じ夢を見ていた until mid-december
Finish the remaining 6 volumes of Ponkotsu Ponko, 1 each day.
Find other things to read after these.

20 Likes

The winter challenge usually starts on January. Meanwhile we can all post our updates here.

17 Likes

Ooh, I didn’t know. Thanks for the clarification. I’ll keep posting here :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Dec 1, Thu of Week 10 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Pocket Monster Special Vol.1 Ch.9-11

Foodin looks like wanting to eat puddin’.

Interesting vocabularies
  • ()っぱ from Pokemon move はっぱカッター. Feels like 一葉の().
  • (まね)かれざる(きゃく) uninvited guest. I wonder how this grammar even works…
  • しきたり customs “come and do”. Kanji form is 仕来(しきた)り.
  • いいがかり false accusation. Kanji form is ()()かり. I am thinking of ()う + (かか)り. Perhaps similar to 冤罪(えんざい).
  • ()()け pick the most distinguishable one from the rest = especially
  • (おも)()る to realize a life lesson. Probably somewhat like (さと)る.

Phrases

• 一向(いっこう)に…ない not in the least. 一向(いっこう)に alone also seems to work.

Forgotten ones

• 合体(がったい) perhaps like 合併(がっぺい). I have seen this one before, from 合体攻撃.

20 Likes

I completed the challange! Yay! That was fun! I will continue doing what I am doing everyday, which is reading posts & learning vocabulary & grammar from them. I’ve started noticing slight improvement in my reading.

20 Likes

:snowflake: :christmas_tree: December 1st :christmas_tree: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Not gonna lie I somehow totally forgot ハピネス was getting here so soon. I have about a week and a half to read it before we’re doing our friend gift exchange. Plenty-o-time, considering how easy this series is. The text density is incredibly low, avg is like 20 characters/page based on ch 1. Read through the first volume in just under 45 minutes with basically no issues. Definitely would be a good first manga, especially for people who aren’t crazy about slice of life (I may think they are fools, but alas, there’s no accounting for taste).

Read:

• ハピネス vol 1 - Really gorgeous art, but I’m kinda meh on the story. If reading this was a slog, I probably would stop here, but reading has been super low effort. Which is actually a nice spot to be in. Needing to commit huge blocks of time to things really limits the things I want to spend time/energy reading, but being able to casually pick something up and just blow through with low stakes is fun.
  • NHK News Web Easy: 日本の「風流踊」がユネスコの無形文化遺産に決まった - as expected, these still feel hard. This one had lots of cultural stuff, but I think I mostly understand it from reading it a few times + the video. Took quite a bit of work and など does a lot of heavy lifting in this article. I glazed over it in the 2nd paragraph and was really confused as to the relationship between 風流踊 and 盆踊り but it did eventually click. I also watched some videos of the 3 dances mentioned in the article. Definitely ended up spending close to an hour on this between reading, rereading, looking some stuff up in english, and watching videos, which is way more than I anticipated lmao. Maybe I just picked a challenging topic to start off with :sweat_smile:

ホリミヤ maybe later, haven’t felt this fatigued from reading in quite a while

Reading Round 2:

• ホリミヤ ch 15 - some much needed serotonin
Good Words

ハピネス
眩しい「まぶしい」ー dazzling, radiant
渇く「かわく」ー to be thirsty
襲う「おそう」ー to attack
舐める「なめる」ー to lick, to suck
優柔不断「ゆうじゅうふだん」ー indecisive, wishy washy
蹴る「ける」ー to kick

NHK
風流踊「ふりゅうおどり」ー a collection of traditional regional dances with music that are usually performed at specific times of the year
無形文化遺産 「むけいぶんかいさん」ー intangible cultural heritage
遺産「いさん」ー inheritance, legacy, heritage

ホリミヤ
定規「じょうぎ」ー measuring ruler
内緒「ないしょ」ー secrecy, confidentiality
バレる ー to leak out (of a secret), to be exposed
皮「かわ」ー rind, skin, peel, husk (here トマト皮)

23 Likes

December 1st

:snowflake: :christmas_tree:Home post:christmas_tree::snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 1 or Aria: the masterpiece volume 2 – progress report

Yesterday: Read up to page 163 in Card Captor Sakura, finished chapter 4.
Today: Read up to page 176 in Card Captor Sakura.

Only a few pages worth of progress today, and I won’t be able to read much tomorrow either. Maybe it will still be enough to finish the first volume at least.

Spoilers for chapter 4** and later Sakura volumes: not sure if this an actual plot hole but I have to wonder who on earth changed Sakura’s soaked clothes after Yukito rescued her from the ‘ghost’ in the park’s lake and let her rest in his house. Yukito claims that his grandmother did it but in later volumes we learn that he doesn’t have any family because he’s an alter ego of Yue…soo again, who the heck changed Sakura’s clothes if the grandma doesn’t exist and Yukito himself doesn’t seem to have done it (unless he’s lying which would be rather out of character for him) – was it Yue?! :thinking: :flushed:

Edit: ** It’s chapter 5, whoops.

Thanks for clarifying! I’ll keep posting here then. :grinning:

I also completely forgot to talk about this yesterday. While it’s not the end of my challenge yet I want to congratulate everyone who completed their challenge yesterday. Regardless if you read every single day or ‘only’ a few days during the whole duration, you still got some reading practice in and perhaps even increased your reading speed. You might have learned new words, expressions and grammar too and that’s also a plus! So again, good job, everyone! :smiling_face:
I liked reading everyone’s posts – about your struggles, (small) rants, enthusiasm as well as little or big accomplishments. I hope to see some of you in the next challenge and am curious which books you’ll read this time around. Speaking of new books: a few of the books some of you read in this challenge made me want to check them out and I wrote them down in my list for future reading endeavors.

Word or expression of the day:

可愛がる - (かわいがる) - to love, to cherish; to show favouritism to; to caress; to torment

… one of these things is not like the other! :eyes:
*looks at comment below ‘to torment’ in jisho * → is used ironically. Ok, then. :saluting_face:

Honourable mention:

着替え - (きがえ) - changing clothes

25 Likes

I haven’t been doing any reading lately (need to fix that ASAP), but is December really part of Fall or should we create another thread (or at least rename this one)? :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

The naming already doesn’t make sense for people living in Australia and New Zealand so I wouldn’t worry about it. Think of it as a sort of limbo thread to post in while waiting for the next challenge to start. (like the poll limbo thread)

17 Likes

Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaruhodo! :cat2:

P. S. Sorry, I’meowt of likes again roll

8 Likes

following anime season conventions!

9 Likes

End of challenge :tada:
I barely even posted but I’m gonna write a wrap-up post anyway, for… closure, I guess :see_no_evil:

Novels

I read one full novel (裏世界ピクニック - was really fun and I discovered that reading with an audiobook is quite nice), a short story (人間椅子 with the Halloween book club :ghost:) and parts of some other ones: Roughly the second half of カラフル, and the first half of きのうの春で、君を待つ. Switching back from reading along with an audiobook to reading without one is kinda brutal, I feel like I’m so slow even though the book is at a pretty good level for me vocabulary wise :melting_face: I’m liking the story so far, though.
Aand I suppose the last 20% or something of the last Mystery Club pick (十角館の殺人) were technically also part of the challenge. Speaking of the Mystery Club, I have somehow not even started the current pick :sob: I just somehow… did not at all feel like it? and then figured I’d rather spend the time leading up to the jlpt with whatever is the most fun :see_no_evil: I still wanna read it though, I’ll probably get started on that after the weekend.

VNs

Read about half of Loopers and then got stuck on a slice of life section that didn’t quite grip me enough to continue, so I took a break. Though now that @MissDagger is also currently reading it I kinda feel more motivated to pick it back up :laughing:

I also got back into Zero Escape/999 recently! It’s been like… more than half a year since I last played it (whoops :grimacing:). This is so fun, why did I ever stop?? I think I had to take a break because of exams or something and then I somehow just never picked it back up. Why am I like this
I’ve gotten to one of the endings/finished my first playthrough :tada: Only… 4 or 5 more to go? I think? Exciting :eyes:

As for reading every day, I didn’t even get close :joy: One day, I swear.

Which brings me to the other reason for posting, I need an excuse to tag @natarin and yell about Zero Escape in more detail for a bit :joy: So I’m just gonna… do that, don’t mind me

999, not to be confused with the next VN Club pick which also has a lot of nines

Sorry for digging up ancient posts, it’s just kind of become a habit to read these after I’ve reached the same spot in the game :joy:

:joy: Yeahh seriously!
This was my first ending too. Somehow I’ve actually stayed on the same path as you all the way through to the first ending. I swear I didn’t check your decisions before I made mine :laughing:

Yeah!! Thought the exact same thing.
You basically blink once and suddenly you’re dead x.x
Brutal.

Also, a little bit before that ending there was someone… knocking on that one coffin? From the inside? aaa?? Like, no one is currently missing so… who is that :eyes:

I ended up doing the same thing, though I was tempted to start further down so I could get to the endings faster :joy: I’m so curious.

Hahah yeah. I did pick that one though :see_no_evil:
(I mean it worked out and that meant I got to team up with Santa and Murasaki again (always a good time) so I suppose it’s fine. But still. Mean.)
After that door they randomly talked about how humans normally don’t get fevers >42°, but then Santa was like: ‘except when you’re trapped in a sauna, or being pushed into an incinerator’… what :joy:
Like, why would anyone even randomly bring this up, that’s kinda sus
And then Santa was just standing there staring at Junpei all serious and the two of them were just like ‘…’ ‘…’ ‘…’ - what does that mean ;___; :joy:

So apparently I’ve now chosen a different option than you did at first so I guess this is where our paths diverge. Means I can’t really follow your posts in order anymore, and I’m afraid to click on spoiler tags… Sadness. :joy: Guess I’ll read the rest of them when I’m done.

I just got to the part where セブン is giving us a lot of interesting back story about being kidnapped and ending up on the ship with some children? And some odd experiments going on. Good stuff. :eyes: (Also, セブン is a really engaging story teller )

That was so funny though :joy:
What an absolutely dumb conversation, I love them

Pretty sure I’m really close to the next ending but I gotta go to sleep :sob:

Oh noes ;_; hope you feel better!

24 Likes

Hey there tanuki club gang! How are y’all doing?I really miss reading with everyone… I have been coming around and lurking every now and then… I was wondering if there’s going to be a new challenge after this one? I have really fallen behind with daily reading, I definitely need some motivation to get back to daily reading… :pleading_face:

17 Likes

Obviously feel free to join us here in off-month December! And otherwise the next one starts in January, the thread will probably be put up by @windupbird about a week before. Although with the holidays I wouldn’t blame them if it only happened a day or two before. xD

14 Likes