📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Home

Finally finished 不機嫌なモノノケ庵 vol 8!

I also started オーマイヒーロー! today, reading all 4 chapters. I just have the unrelated one-shot and the omake left. It’s so cute. This is one of the ones that I got off MR, and my copy actually came with two little bonus comics! One was a first-printing bonus and one was because it was bought at Animate.

In non-reading news, I ended up marathoning the last 12 eps of Tiger & Bunny, and then in reading news again, I watched half of the 劇場版 -The Beginning- with JP subs because a) it’s a retelling of the first few eps but with some new material (and in looking up whether it was literally just the first ep or not—the first ep is normal length, as I’d thought, but the beginning of this made me doubt, even though it has a different OP—I found out that T&B is an anime original and the manga came afterward, and not the other way around as I’d kind of assumed) so I was already familiar with most of it and b) Netflix for some reason has JP subs for this even though they don’t for the show. Even if it is CC, which is a little annoying, and a little too much info at this point. Oh well. I’d planned on watching the whole thing but ended up being too tired, so I’ll likely be finishing it tomorrow.

Some vocab of note:

横好き (よこずき) [noun] being very enthusiastic about something but not being good about it. Uh, did you mean me with literally anything ever? Can’t draw, can’t write, can’t do anything else even if I like it…
墓穴, short for 墓穴を掘る (ぼけつをほる) [expression, ラ五] to dig one’s own grave
いくら何でも [expression] no matter how you look at it; no matter how you put it; whatever the circumstances may be; say what you like
踏ん切りがつく (ふんぎりがつく) [expression, カ五] to find the resolve (to do); to make up one’s mind (with); to act on a thought
青臭い (あおくさい) [い-adj.] naïve; green; immature; inexperienced

20 Likes

16 November 2022

:house: Home Post

• a podcast

winter is cold and difficult but my perseverance to not miss a day is stronger. 頑張ってよ。
to an extent

20 Likes

Home Post

Day 7 Progress: お隣の天使様 二冊 - 47.27% - 53.63%

Another day of starting late and posting at 3 AM. Considered not doing it today because work calls but might as well try to stay consistent.

Today I learned that the auxiliary verb もらう can be used when there’s the slightest intention of something being done for someone. In the line I was stuck on for like longer than I’d like to admit, the protagonist あまね decides to give class イケメン 優太ゆうた some plastic bags to help him hold all his Valentine’s chocolate:

流石さすがにレジ袋はそう厚くないので破れたりするかもしれないが、そこまでは面倒は見れないので本人になんとかしてもらうとしよう。

Here もらう apparently just refers to あまね wanting 優太ゆうた to figure out how to use the bags by himself so he doesn’t have to deal with the extra hassle. I had no idea the verb could be used so loosely…

Word of the Day: 破顔 - giving a broad smile. The kanji maybe a tad violent but I find it kind of an oddly cute way of putting it.

21 Likes

Same as yesterday!

17/11 2 pages おばちゃんたちにいるところ

But managed it on a work day, so that was good.

19 Likes

Nov 17, Thu of Week 8 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• SHADOWS HOUSE Vol.3 Ch.29-32

I forgot that I have read Ch.29-30. (I had?) People’s name in Furigana is probably a hardest thing to read here.

To-be-remembered vocabularies
  • 正論(せいろん) = 正確な論

• 序盤(じょばん) apparently, there are also (ちゅう)盤 and (しゅう)

• 手引(てびき) = 手引き rendaku’d, meaning guidance

• 悪徳(あくとく) first Kanji carries the meaning, compare (ぜん)

• 格子(こうし) lattice / bars; therefore 鉄格子

I probably don’t count much reading today. I have thoughts regarding reading speed and comprehension – mobile or tablet or laptop? Perhaps it depends on occasion and mood, but reading more text without distractions calms me a little.

18 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221117 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 76.66% :bubbles:

Wagahai-cat is grumpy because no one will get him his brekkie, so he glares at the children and watches the family go about their simple human lives.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

塗りつけた「ぬりつける」ー To daub; to smear (also: 塗り付ける)
夜具「やぐ」ー Bedding; bedclothes

20 Likes

November 17th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 1 – progress report
Yesterday: read up to page 231
Today: finished chapter 7. Read up to page 252

Felt a bit better today and read roughly 20 pages.

I couldn’t help but chuckle when Alicia just glossed over the president’s dramatic note he left before leaving ‘for good’ by basically saying: ‘Meh, nothing unusual going on, he’ll be back by dinnertime.’ :slightly_smiling_face:

Replies

Thank you, @MissDagger – I hope that you and Kiro are doing well. :smiling_face:

Some words of note

淋しい (さみしい) lonely, lonesome
ともあれ anyhow, in any case
真っ黒 (まっくろ) pitch black
風鈴 (ふうりん) wind chime, wind bell
飾る (かざる) to decorate, to ornament, to adorn

19 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 48, 17th of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Read some more of Kiki, but without trying to translate. I was just trying to sound out words and guess Kanji. I knew surprisingly many! But I quickly found that I was further along than my wordlist SRS. Oh well.

My goal for this week is still to familiarize myself with most of the grammar points that show up in the first chapter of Kiki. New things keep showing up! But it seems to be mostly things that are a bit too advanced at this point in time.

20 Likes

We are thank you!

Kiro stuff, sadly no pictures (no time now, but soon, I promise)

He just before this found his way under the cupboard beside the washing machine (where the drain is) for the first time. Why now lol? In just a few more weeks, maybe a couple of months and he won’t fit under there (I’m pretty sure an adult cat would have trouble getting under there). Ah well, moved some things around to cover the gap between bottom of the cupboard and the floor.

Also got a new small cardboard box today, I’ll share pictures in a couple of days of what he looks like when placed in it. :joy: (I’m super busy the next two days.)

He’s just growing so fast. I think it is right now sinking in that he isn’t as small as he was when I picked him up a month ago. And seriously, it has only been a month? Feels like so much longer in a really good way. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

16 Likes

Haha, I assume he noticed his fast growing speed himself and thought of trying out some things requiring him to be small before it is too late. I can already picture him staring at the cupboard thinking: ‘I remember the time where I could still fit under there…ah to be young again’ in a few months. :smile:

It’s only been a month since you’ve had him? Time passes so fast!
It is as you say, though, if it felt longer to you but in a good way there’s nothing to worry about except for cherishing the times you spend with him right now when he’s young – and when he’s fully grown. I heard from a few acquaintances who own orange cats that they (apparently) tend to be on the affectionate side, so maybe Kiro values you just as much already.

Please don’t stress yourself over the new Kiro pictures – I’m sure they will be worth the wait regardless of you sharing them in a few days or in few weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

November 17th!

Today I read two more chapters of Flying Witch. Only one more chapter left of Volume 3 now, this volume has definitely gone faster than Volume 1 & 2, probably because I’m getting used to the ways the characters speak and having to look up less vocabulary now that I’ve settled into the series a bit.

(Home Post)

16 Likes

Finished Ch 3 of Shield Hero and Volume 9 of Chainsaw Man. Almost done with Chainsaw Man part 1 re-read, then may return to my Berserk reread. Slam Dunk’s movie comes out next month so maybe I should reread that one instead.

19 Likes

:hedgehog: Home Post :fallen_leaf:

11月16日と11月17日

Just to check in for the sake of accountability. Yesterday I wound up exhausted, I’m trying to start a new routine and had to get up early on top of that. Today (17日) I had Kyudo practice. Will try to get some extra reading in tomorrow.

19 Likes

Home Post
:maple_leaf: :teddy_bear: :carousel_horse: 11.16.2022 :carousel_horse: :teddy_bear: :maple_leaf:

:broom: I finished the Kiki’s Delivery Service manga! Once I got close to the end it was hard to stop (and I was crying way more than reasonable). I mostly skimmed over a lot of the TV chatter since it was a lot more difficult to read than the rest of the book. This book was so beautiful and I really enjoyed being able to go through one of my favorite movies in its original language. I definitely got used to the gorgeous colored frames though @_@ moving on from this is going to be tough.
Which brings me to…
I’m going to pick up something else now to read between the 神さま and Hobonichi translations. Maybe 夜カフェ or ポケットモンスターバイオレット? I really love the feel of having a tangible book so maybe I’ll just hit up the local Kinokuniya and look for something with furigana, or maybe I’ll order an easy light novel. So many choicesss

22 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

November 17

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険50
start - 66

I had a good reset from yesterday. While I got home a little late, I was able to relax in a bath and read until I feel asleep. I’m hoping to rinse and repeat aside from my work and out of work activities.

Last night’s reading was a lot of fun. It was very Mista centered. I have such a different idea of him from the anime than I do the manga. In the anime, he always seemed like a dumb bro kind of guy who solves all his problems by shooting them. In the manga, he still solves his problems by shooting them but instead comes across as cool and intelligent. I think I’m getting this different mental picture because my first watch through of the anime, I wasn’t playing close attention and therefore might have missed the subtitles or the way that the showed the thought processes on screen. However, now that I’m reading the manga, I am trying to read all the text available and I am taking the time to consider and digest it.

Not so spoilery image (discourse deleted this, I had it written before :/ )

20 Likes

November 17 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Through various circumstances I got in a good amount of reading today; I started out with some 山猫 which continues to be a good time! It still feels like a pretty comfy read for the most part, and I’m intrigued by the characters and situations we’re setting up :eyes:

Then I missed ブルーロック and started volume 14 and immediately remembered how fun it is :joy: it really is a delight, I always have such a good time reading it. It’s fun too because it’s definitely one with a lot of little language details that I really enjoy, which makes reading it in Japanese feel extra worth it :grin: yay motivation!

20 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 17th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Pokemon comes out tonight! I’m going to be trying to play through the whole thing in japanese and the initial part is probably going to be pretty reading heavy, so I didn’t want to go too hard today, but still got my chapter in!

Read:

• からかい上手の高木さん chapter 32
Good Words

上乗せ「うわのせ」ー adding on, increasing (here, a raise in ポーカー)
イカサマ ー cheating, foul play

21 Likes

Home

Didn’t do much reading in JP today since I was mostly caught up reading taibani fic and also the new ENG novel I got, Legends & Lattes. Probably shoulda read some of おばちゃんたちのいるところ since I’ve still got most of the story left, but eh, it’s fine if I get a little behind. I also did not watch the rest of the T&B movie.

I finished オーマイヒーロー! as well as read アイがラブしてユーなのさ, which is a shorter manga, probably the shortest I got in my recent MR order.

Some vocab of note:

風紀 (ふうき) [noun] public morals; discipline; rules governing social behavior
浮いた (ういた) [prenominal] amorous; flirtatious; romantic
生殺し (なまごろし) [expression] state of uncertainty; limbo; leaving unfinished with the intention of inflicting suffering; dragging out tortuously
馴れ初め (なれそめ) [noun] start of a romance; beginning of love

21 Likes

Read 10% more of 教場. It’s fine. Mildly interesting. I’m determined to finish it so I have it off my 積読 pile and I know if I don’t just make myself do it it won’t happen. It’s not bad enough to leave unfinished, it simply isn’t intriguing.

If I do 10% a day I’ll be done in 5 more days, but I also have book club due dates coming up. I need to force myself through the short story at the end of 死仮面 but it’s so boring :see_no_evil:

21 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 17 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 13 (21% → 30%)

Was too tired to laptop last night, so I’m posting this now.

Lots of good words
愛弟子(まなでし) favorite pupil, teacher’s pet
死守(ししゅ) defending to the last
すみれ(いろ) violet (color) [1]
久方(ひさかた)ぶり first in a long time
(ほま) honor
未就学(みしゅうがく) preschool (not yet entered school)
山吹色(やまぶきいろ) bright golden yellow [2]
箇条書(かじょうが) itemized form [3]
続報(ぞくほう) follow-up report, further news
反比例(はんぴれい) inverse proportion

1. image ↩︎

2. image ↩︎

3. image ↩︎

22 Likes