📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:house:
Nov 12

かがみの孤城 (page 217)

Just read one page today. I think I used up all my focus ability studying in the library today, because I kept getting distracted reading :grimacing:

I have a bad habit of checking my socials, etc before studying first thing in the morning. Tomorrow I’ll replace that with reading as a ‘warm-up’, and hopefully I’ll be able to read a lot more than usual.

22 Likes

November 12th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 1 – progress report
Last time’s progress: read up to page 127
Today: finished chapter 4, read up to page 166

After having slept enough this time around, I had more energy and managed to read around 30 pages as a result.

It was amusing to see Akari freak out when they reached the ‘water elevator’ because she had no idea what it was. It reminded me of the 3 hour boat trip (on a river) that I went on last year. Luckily, I knew what was about to happen when we reached a (pound) lock, so my first ‘water elevator’ experience was not worrisome at all – poor Akari. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Some words of note

跡 (あと) site, remains, ruins
脅かす (おどかす) to startle, to surprise
普通に (ふつうに) normally, generally, usually
ぐるぐる round and round, in circles
迷子 (まいご) lost child, lost person
まんま cooked rice​
日常 (にちじょう) everyday, daily, ordinary
昇格 (しょうかく) raising of status, promotion, advance
配達 (はいたつ) delivery, distribution

21 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221112 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 73.98% :sweet_potato:

Detective-san is here to save the day, the yam-thief has been caught (from many chapters ago), but sadly, the yams are no more :cry:

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

Just like the yams the new words for today cease to exist

21 Likes

Nov 12, Sat of Week 7 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Death Note Vol.5 Ch.38

Starting a new week for the book club, and I wonder should I read first? Not much of a problem though. Will read the other clubs (SHADOWS HOUSE, SPY x FAMILY) later.

• かがみの孤城 (上) 62% => 67% (Start of Ch.5 September + start of Section 2 second semester)

A returning soldier.

I am considering going on visual novel route, because of audio with synced text. Anime / drama would be relatively short, as well as less immersive and not wanting to pause until the end of episode. VN can be read more slowly or just as fast. Pausing is arbitrary, although can also be done at the end of a peak or a section.

I might be reading common Kanji vocabularies wrong. In contrast, rarer and more specific vocabularies would be easier to read correctly (with pitch and vocal features also).

• はたらく細胞 Vol.1 Ch.2 latter half

I now see in a new light (meaning 1.2, somehow not listed in Jisho), e.g. 服用, 内服. I should have seen yet another meaning before, though – 不服, 服す, 克服, 征服.

Next chapter has zombie hats, and looks interesting.

20 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 43, 12th of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Read another Tadoku book, this one was about the night sky ((よる)(そら)で). It was quite comedic, with a plane crashing into the moon and a pair of birds having to haul the moon back into the sky.

22 Likes

November 12th!

Today I read chapter 16 of Orange. I really enjoyed this chapter, I found it very sweet :slight_smile:
I also read chapter 45 of Mitsuboshi Colors, it was a pretty simple chapter to read, so I didn’t need to look up a single vocabulary word! Its pretty rare I get though a whole chapter of anything without needing to look up a few words, so that was fun :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

21 Likes

Home Post
:maple_leaf: :teddy_bear: :carousel_horse: 11.12.2022 土曜日 :carousel_horse: :teddy_bear: :maple_leaf:

:shinto_shrine: Completed this week’s reading for 神さまがまちがえる. This week was definitely harder than last week and there are a couple sections that I want to go back and re-read a few times because I was so focused on translating on a word-by-word level that I missed the whole gist of the conversation. The end of the chapter did become easier as expected, though, so that bit nice and refreshing in comparison with the section I trudged through yesterday.

:coffee: I downloaded the kindle sample for 夜カフェ and read a couple pages of that. It’s going down a bit smoother than I though it would. If I end up not doing the VN club when that starts up, I may pick this up instead.

Favorite word today: 凹凸(おうとつ): concave, hollow, sunken

21 Likes

I personally prefer the でこぼこ reading of 凸凹 :joy: which means a few things but primarily “bumpy”. It’s just so fun to say

20 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 12 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (78% → 92%)

Hopefully I can finish this book tomorrow.

Random: Feeling a bit weird regarding how I’ve counted two of the books I’ve read this year as four books just because I’ve read the versions where they were published as 上 and 下 :sweat: I’m a silly goose, shouldn’t have counted like that :upside_down_face:

22 Likes

:house:
Nov 13

かがみの孤城 60% → 62%

Finished the first semester!

22 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

November 12

人間椅子 26-36%

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険48
111 - 151

I got annoyed with my pace of reading, so tried to read a bunch earlier than I usually start. I didn’t fall asleep reading this time, but I figured in order to help keep my sleep rhythm for the workweek, I should stop and go to bed.

Human chair continues to be a creepy description and I can’t believe that I’m still not finished. I’m only 1/3 through, how is there more? :sob: I am determined to finish though.

JoJo’s great though. Black Sabbath is making an appearance and I forgot what a beautiful stand it is :heart_eyes_cat: I love the design

23 Likes

Home Post

Day 3 Progress: お隣の天使様 二冊 - 21.39% - 26.78%

Barely managed to rush my daily quota after work today. Normally I get the chance to do some reading during work, but I’ve just been so dang tired all day. It’s pretty annoying how just being slightly tired basically crushes my comprehension when I already struggle with it when fully awake… I can barely process katakana…

Word of the Day: 阿鼻叫喚 - agonizing cries; pandemonium; two of Buddhism’s hells. A word whose chaotic energy you can tell from the kanji alone!

20 Likes

November 12 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Reading-adjacent but I started messing with the バディミッションBOND drama cds today :eyes: I started out just listening to the first track without following along with the script to see what I’d get out of it, and I did better than I thought I would! Certainly no where near full comprehension, but enough to get the gist and enjoy it.

After that I started going back through, taking my time with it and following along with the script, and that’s gone pretty smoothly if a bit on the slow side. The nature of バディミッションBOND using a lot of weird vocabulary :joy: The writing is part of why I like it though, and going through with the script really lets me fully enjoy what’s being said. So yeah it’s been good so far! I haven’t made a lot of progress yet but it’s really fun to be back with these characters again :grin:

22 Likes

12 November 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 55)

Just a little bit of reading today.

21 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 12th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Today was a cooking/experimenting day! Curry sounded good yesterday while I couldn’t move, and one of the characters in p5r mentions that they put shredded apples into their curry, so I really wanted to try that out today. While I was out, I noticed that there was some カルピス and ラムネ at the store now, so I grabbed a bottle of each of those to try out. カルピス is… interesting? Very citrus-y almost like lemonade, but sorta milky. Not my favorite but was nice to try. ラムネ I liked, but I tend to favor carbonated beverages. Probably have had this before, but this would’ve been like 10 years ago, so nice refresher. They particularly weren’t cheap though, so might stick to getting them if I see them at a restaurant or something (and don’t already want some ベール :beers:).

カレーライス

Not my best curry, but I really didn’t know what apples would do to it so didn’t want to go overboard. They don’t really add a flavor directly, they just kinda soften the flavors already there, I think. Adds a little bit of sweetness too. I used half an apple, probably could’ve used the full one. I’ll try it again next time with more apple and more spice to see how that goes. All about experimenting

Read:

• Tae Kim 235 → 242 – some more nuanced negative forms, and saying things are easy/difficult to do. I definitely remember looking up にくい during よつばと!
  • からかい上手の高木さん chapter 24
  • SCP-161-JP – short SCP entry that a linguist friend sent me. Has some neat wordplay based around ateji kanji.
Good Words

わき腹 「わきばら」ー side (of the torso)
不利「ふり」ー disadvantage, handicap

Oh I just saw this reading earlier when I was looking up some song lyrics! 「凸凹なコンビネーション?でも別に大丈夫さ」meaning an ‘uneven combination’ or ‘bumpy combination’

22 Likes

November 13th!

Today I read two chapters of Shadows House. They were quite text dense in places, so it took me a while to read them today! I got there in the end though.
I’m looking forward to seeing how the next few chapters pan out!

(Home Post)

23 Likes

Nov 13, Sun of Week 7 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

From Hukumusume collection. It has been a while since I used this website. Since stories are short, reading aloud is quite ideal.

しゃれこうべ can also be written 髑髏.

Although from the listing page, no audio is seen, it is attached with a Youtube (has to be seen from inside the article).

• ATRI (VN) (Ch.2 足になります, around 1 hour)

Since I don’t need to look up as much as I used to, it became easier to read. However, looking-up-may-help is also avoided, so as to help with the length of the story. Also, I would probably not need to look up if there is audio (not always, though).

I looked up on smartphone, with Aedict (where JMdict gets updated often, and there is a link to Goo; but no context menu from web browsers).

I haven’t set up Text Tractor (on this laptop) yet. Not sure if I should.

• はたらく細胞 Vol.1 Ch.3-4 (Finished volume)

As amusing as ever. Also, pro-squad :rofl:

ドクソ feels interesting. Even if it is actually 毒素, I also see it as ド糞.

I found 有事(ゆうじ) so simple, but difficult to read at first. (Omake part of Ch.3, so no Furigana.) Another one of interest might be 雑兵(ぞうひょう), which has alternate Furigana instead.

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221113 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 74.07% :evergreen_tree:

I read about three sentences because there were way too many trees to plant today.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

:evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:
:evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

19 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 13 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (92% → 100%)

Last book of part 3, finished :eyes: :sparkles:
(side story spoiler) マイン’s baby brother カミル can say his own name now: カミュ :eyes: cute! :pleading_face:

Found another を + [intransitive verb] expression: 頭を()ぎった. I’ll just have to accept that there are more exceptions to the rule than I thought.

・本好きの下剋上 13 (0% → 5%)

Looking at the illustrations and reading the list of character at the beginning of the book plus knowing where the plot is headed… (spoiler)

…is making me feel like we’re going to Hogwarts :joy: Mysterious magic school/institution. The character list has students name + current school year. Looks like there will be many senpais :eyes: Ah hilarious, I found a review on bookmeter which is also mentioning Hogwarts:

22 Likes

November 13th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 1 – progress report
Yesterday: read up to page 166
Today: finished chapter 5, read up to page 193

Read another 25–30 pages today. I can slowly but surely see the finish line for the first volume because there are roughly 130 pages left. :slightly_smiling_face:

Some words of note

下流 (かりゅう) downstream
少しずつ (すこしずつ) little by little
幅 (はば) width, breadth
合格 (ごうかく) success, passing (e.g. an exam), eligibility
無事に (ぶじに) safely, peacefully, without problems
希望 (きぼう) hope, wish, aspiration
暮らし (くらし) life, livelihood
代わり番こ (かわりばんこ) alternating, taking turns
日課 (にっか) daily lesson, daily work, daily routine

21 Likes