Reactions instead of likes?

While it would be nice to eye roll people directly when they go on political diatribes, replying is sufficient enough.

3 Likes

I’d like to add that this feature doesn’t work well on mobile. I’m finding it very difficult to see who reacted to my posts. I tap the icon to get the list to show up, but it disappears before I can see anything.

3 Likes

I’m probably just blind, but I still just see only a heart to give likes. I did notice I got what looked like a 割り玉 from someone, but I can’t figure out how to give other reactions.

2 Likes

Refreshing the page worked for me.

4 Likes

Good to know. For my phone, the list stays if I press the icon a little longer instead of just tapping.

2 Likes

Cool, yeah, now it’s showing.

1 Like

I imagine they’re updating it, since it doesn’t let you just like a post anymore, but it gives you the reaction menu.

Wait, it does now, what. .-.

Edit: Why would we want to know in different notifications what type of reaction people gave us, it’s just clutter. It should be the same option there already is for likes, but changed to “notify when reacted”.

6 Likes

It also makes the notifications confusing. Like “xyz and 4 others liked your post” but you go to the post and there are 12 reactions.

5 Likes

I’m a bit confused as I’ve never seen ratings implemented badly before.

What exactly did Wanikani do and how did they implement it in the past if someone wants to give me a detailed rundown?

1 Like

There are no details. It was basically the same as what you see now. It’s not like WaniKani builds this stuff anyway. They use Discourse for the forums and Discourse has recently been trying to add these reactions as an alternate option to the like-only system.

It has less to do with it being poorly implemented and more to do with it being out of place on WaniKani specifically. Like if you ask a grammar question and someone answers to your liking, how are you going to react? With a like. You may react with a thumbs up or a clap or a hug instead of the default heart, but in the end you just want to say “I appreciate your response”, so the vanilla like system is sufficient.

15 Likes

Yeah, one of the forums I use for a team I’m a fan of allows dislikes and angry faces, and the whole place is a mess. Though, that’s not the cause of the mess, just one symptom.

7 Likes

Totally agree

8 Likes

I guess it depends if it leads to a worse user experience (then it’s more than just a symptom) or not.

I don’t see reactions adding anything to the average user experience either, but I guess the POLL thread may enjoy it. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yep, because we all know the POLL thread is the main purpose of WaniKani. I wonder if they put “Hang out in the POLL thread!” before or after “learn 2000 kanji” in their advertisements.

12 Likes

WaniKani: Come for the kanji, stay for the POLL thread.

11 Likes

After. You should always do your reviews first.

8 Likes

So are you saying that, with the tools provided, Wanikani wouldn’t be able to implement ratings in such a way that it wouldn’t be a detriment? That’s actually kind of fair. Discourse, despite looking pretty, is functionally one of the worst forum software I’ve interacted with. A lot of older forum software may have been noisy as hell, but at least they were functionally sound, and I can see how adding stuff to discourse can make it just worse because of the way the UI is. But I can’t blame them. The software choices for forums is grating. So many things seem to want to move away from forums, even actual forum software.

5 Likes

Came here just for this post. :+1:

Had to read like 37 before it, but at least it wasn’t number 57. :laughing:

5 Likes

Definitely awful

3 Likes

I like insanity!

5 Likes