Reactions instead of likes?

@JenK When you posted the topic introducing the new book club category I saw there are more reactions beside just the like/heart. Was this added intentionally? I’ve seen the reactions before when Discourse was experimenting with them (and they briefly appeared on these forums before), and I think they are overkill. I think it will make things pretty crazy for very little benefit.

25 Likes

It will lead to insanity, and insanity is its own reward

6 Likes

ハッ?見なかったよ。。。

4 Likes

Insanity in Campfire is one thing (even if still annoying to me personally), but we really don’t need this insanity in the core WaniKani and Japanese Language categories.

It also makes the UI messy. You get extra notifications when people do a classic like versus some other reactions. And the reactions show up elsewhere in posts that just add noise.

13 Likes

We actually did add this setting this morning. I don’t think I’m getting any more notifications though from the reactions I got on the Book club category though.

9 Likes

Yeah, personally also prefer the more simple like system

11 Likes

I actually don’t like the new reactions, but that’s what makes them perfect

4 Likes

We’ll keep it for a few days and we can re-evaluate next week if it’s really distracting.

13 Likes

A minute ago they had color, now they’re all grey… Gotta say I liked just having the hearts better.

12 Likes

Well, I think sometimes the new reaction notifications don’t actually send properly. The feature is still a bit buggy.

Looks like the UI is also buggy, because I’ve now seen the reactions render in three different ways. (In the usual heart on hover, on the left in color, and on the left in black and white. Jinx @Beyond_Sleepy)

Alright. Ultimately it’s your call, but there’s a huge benefit to simplicity on a language learning forum like this.

11 Likes

The colour change is because we just desaturated it a few mins ago. And thanks, we’ll think about it over the next few days.

6 Likes

Observation: Just like with normal likes, after a certain amount of time has passed the reaction can’t be undone or changed into another reaction :eyes:

5 Likes

Black and white actually looks worse. Agree with just having likes, people can already add reactions in their posts, no reason to make it so you can be surprised, thumbs up, clap, celebrate, etc., in a forum for learning.

14 Likes

7 Likes

I got many of the same en.notifications as well. Then it started to show the “reaction” icon istead.

I guess the system is still learning how to communicate better? ^^’

6 Likes

Screenshot 2022-05-25 8.45.16 PM
Screenshot 2022-05-25 8.45.48 PM

Observation: I only get notifications for the hearts.

Questions: Does this mean that hearts are the only thing that affects your “likes left” and you essentially have infinite reactions on top of that? Do reactions other than hearts (given or recieved) count towards badges?

Opinion: I’m not for keeping the new system, but if we’re keeping it then I want the full suit of emoji. Keep it simple or go all out.

4 Likes

oh dear, should look like this

7 Likes

Anyone else getting more than one notification for likes? (I have it set to first and daily)

Also don’t know if this is new, but I hadn’t noticed it before. Scrolling on mobile gives a like if you hover over the button while scrolling, but it doesn’t work like that for the other options, plus now you get the reaction menu which makes it more annoying.

7 Likes

Though, I haven’t heard of anyone else recreating this interesting phenomenon, here’s another screen shot of my extra long “like/reply/link etc.-bottom of the comment field”

it keeps happening, but others don’t have it. No idea what that’s about. :thinking:

@JenK

Just to let you know, some users might be experiencing this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any list of reaction emoji that doesn’t include the poop emoji is communism

8 Likes