Reactions instead of likes?

I love communism!

10 Likes

Wait, so it is good? :thinking:

7 Likes

They look very out of place and are distracting; not really a fan personally.

12 Likes

Not sure yet. Gotta ask the Politburo first.

7 Likes

Sounds like you’re channeling your inner @denzo! XD

Summary

Don’t ask why this weird thing ever got created alright! It’s all forgotten in the years gone by, but my computer never forgets. Not my proudest moment for sure! XD

4 Likes

Gotta bring in downvotes for some “real” fun.

I think having only likes is better, anyway. As much as people post about various things, the main topic of these forums is learning Japanese, so having only a like button suffices. This ain’t facebook.

9 Likes

If you keep them, add the :confused: one.

That one is so much fun in some other boards :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of the desaturated emojis. Maybe try Google’s new black and white emoji font: Google Developers Blog: What is black and white and read all over?

7 Likes

:confused:

1 Like

Kinda weird the like count placement (or hearts I guess) changes depending on if there are other reactions:

Design of the two different hearts/likes is also clashing.

7 Likes

Reactions/Ratings as a concept has existed for two decades and is tried and true. I have yet to see a platform that has adopted it but then reverted back to a singular “like” rating. It’s the superior system to everyone but advertisers, which is why huge social media sites are extremely adverse to adopting them.

That said, this definitely seems like its in the public testing phase at the moment. The styling looks like a WIP and the reactions used, despite being so few, have far too much overlap in meaning with only two or three really main emotions being conveyed.

3 Likes

You know, I bet there’s some people here who like this new change, but don’t realize and are acting like they hate it.

You could call it a…

Doctor Who: 19 Things We Miss About the Twelfth Doctor - TV Fanatic

reaction formation.

2 Likes

A reaction gif palette would be better

2 Likes

I think it depends on the purpose of a site. This is not a general purpose forum, but is primarily for learning Japanese. All these reactions serve little purpose in that context.

Discourse set only “positive” reactions by default for a reason. This can be overridden to introduce more variety, but what are you going to add? Sad face? Angry face? Thumbs down? Negative reactions will just create additional conflict.

10 Likes

As someone who is not a poweruser on these forums and only really posts every couple weeks, I would probably use the community forums even less with these sorts of features implemented. Not trying to be a hater, it’s just that these boards (in my potentially wrong perspective) were meant for discussion of WK and the Japanese language (outside of Campfire, where chaos reigns supreme)… Adding features that make this more like a traditional social media, which I avoid generally, would be a put-off for me.

Obviously they aren’t official or anything, but aren’t there several discord servers WK users have made for that slightly more social media-esque experience?

Dunno. I dislike this feature, which ironically I can’t even express with the reactions.

13 Likes

The open mouth icon is an okay negative reaction imo, but I see your point.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of them either. I understand their appeal for Campfire, but aside from there they just needlessly add notifications and they clutter up the like counter. I don’t really think most of the forum would benefit enough from having them to warrant having them enabled.

9 Likes

I agree with @seanblue on this. We’ve been through it in the past. Reactions got enabled, we all went crazy and started misusing them, then things went back to normal. I don’t think there was an overwhelming “oh we need this feature” but rather relief when the change was reverted.

13 Likes

I was getting that too. Refreshing the page fixed that for me (made the other reaction options show up too).

5 Likes

Wholeheartedly seconded.

Might be a bit difficult to add though.

EDIT: Besides, people finding their own GIFs is more fun, you get more diversity that way.

2 Likes