Wanikani Community gone?

No need to panic, the community is going nowhere.

But the problem is, it’s no longer there for me! Usually, there are multiple links at the bottom of the Wanikani page leading to the Wanikani Community’s recently posted threads, but that’s gone for me now. Does anybody know how to restore it?

Thanks!

Edit: Well, we have an official answer to why it was removed and a stopgap has been implemented. We have lots of different opinions, and I personally think it’s important to voice them, so I encourage anybody who would like to let their opinion be known to express it. We have already seen that the Wanikani team is present and willing to listen to us users.

For the official answer, look at the “Solved”. Is there a way to mark several posts as a solution? I would like to highlight the different Tofugu posts.

Cheers everybody for showing your concern for the community!

31 Likes

you’re not alone

10 Likes

i’m also having this problem

9 Likes

Same for me. I wonder, could this be a change that was done on purpose or was there an issue with a website backend update or something along the lines that caused it to disappear?

10 Likes

It’s a change done on purpose

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, @plantron. I must have missed the announcement for this change, then. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I also missed it… does anyone have the link to the announcement? Do we know if it is going to return to the original or if we will have the option to do so?

9 Likes

Aaaaaahhhhh, I don’t like it!

26 Likes

Thought it was just me. It was my main way of getting here :frowning:

20 Likes

Well, that really sucks. It was also my main way of getting to the community, and I liked to see if there was an interesting sounding thread once I was done with my reviews.

26 Likes

since i am unaware of the announcement and couldn’t find it (if it exists) with ease, i’ll air my complaint here.
the community section of the dashboard was the reason i even knew that the wk community existed, and also how i access it. literally how else do you get here from the dash? ty Nirgan. this is a really odd thing to change/remove.

19 Likes

looks like it can be accessed by clicking on the profile pic in the top right corner → community

I really wonder whats this update for, im sure plenty of people arent aware that the forum exists and thats the way how to find it, it also was my way how to get to forums after i finished all my reviews, not sure what the motive here. Even if its more noticable there (doubt), why not leave it on the bottom of page too?

11 Likes

5 Likes

Actually, there was no announcement. I was just guessing :imp:

2 Likes

There’s a new error in the console that I don’t remember seeing there before. Maybe that’s related?
¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Hey everyone! This change was indeed done on purpose, but I’ll pass this along to our team so they can see your feedback. Thank you for sharing!

Edit: I mentioned this in a follow up post, but should have made this more clear originally:

This was part of broader changes we’ve made/plan on making to the dashboard, as well as general code maintenance.

Actively promoting the forum is something we definitely still want to do, so the team is exploring other ways we can do that.

12 Likes

Is there any chance you could tell us why?

3 Likes

I agree with Zyk on this:

the community section of the dashboard was the reason i even knew that the wk community existed , and also how i access it.

16 Likes

They’ve probably decided we’re 面倒臭い and not worth the upkeep.

If they work to hide the community from new users, there’s no way I’d recommend WK to anyone

3 Likes

Same! I don’t understand this change at all.

3 Likes