Re Zero Volume 4 post reading discussion

First of all, congratulation for finishing the fourth volume of Re Zero :tada:

Re Zero Home Thread

Previous Chapter

In short, I want to have everyone opinion on Re Zero book 4 and on the bookclub in general.

Here are some rules
-This is a friendly discussion, not a debat about who is wrong or right so respect is compulsory.
-Some of these question ask for Constructive comments not insults. Agains respect is compulsory
-Your opinion is important so please speak up.
-Have fun.
-Do not spoil futur book. If you speak about futur expectation please use the spoiler tag.
-Since the book is about the first volumeā€¦
WARNING THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILER ABOUT VOLUME 4

How did you like the book(1 = very bad, 10 = perfect)

0 voters

I would like if you can describe in more details your experience so here are some guideline. These are only guidelines you donā€™t need to use them but I can help you develop your opinion.

-Was the story plot good, interesting, made sense, captivating etcā€¦
-The characters are well made, interesting, who is your favorite etcā€¦
-The difficulty was good, too hard, too easy, grammar, vocab etcā€¦

What difficulty was the book for you(1 = too easy, 10 = too hard)

0 voters

Next section is about the bookclub

How would you rate the Bookclub in therm of usefulness, fun, organisation(1 = worst book club, 10 = best book club)

0 voters

GuideLines
The bookclub is well made,easy to find/know, etcā€¦
The bookclub is interesting, fun, etc
The bookclub is useful for learning, etcā€¦

The last one is mostly to help me.

What did you think of me as the manager of bookclub(1 = worst, 10 = best) This poll is obviousy anonymous.

0 voters

Since itā€™s my fourth time managing a bookclub I want to know if there is anything I can do to make the bookclub more interesting for you guys.(Please be kind to me :sob:) Iā€™m asking for way for me to get better, for example more details, more organisation, change some things in my way of doing things etcā€¦ I can accept critics so I wonā€™t be mad if you say iā€™m bad :sob:
How do you like reading aloud?

• Really fun
  • Fun
  • okay
  • Bad
  • Really bad

0 voters

How do you rate the usefulness of reading aloud

• Very uselful
  • Useful
  • Not useful
  • Useless

0 voters

Due to some intetnet trouble I have no quiz this time around. You can make some if you want.

So yeah, I will be waiting to read about what you have to say :smile:

7 Likes

I feel like you guys already had a moment of reflection on the book overall in the last weekā€™s thread. :upside_down_face:

I have to say this was the book in the series I liked least out of the 4. Maybe it was because I took a month long break in reading, but it felt a drag to keep reading sometimes. Especially chapter 3 I thinkā€¦ It took until about halfway through chapter 4 until I felt Iā€™d hit my stride and reading felt like reading instead of work.

The last chapter (and epilogue) felt kind of good to read again. Same as a lot (if not all) of you, I think that this confrontation was a long time coming. Hopefully heā€™s broken down enough that he can build himself up better now. The 恂ćØ恌恍 does promise some 苦恗恄 times for ć‚¹ćƒćƒ«, so Iā€™m hopeful. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wasnā€™t able to attend any of the read aloudā€™s this time, so I voted based on previous experience. I just assumed theyā€™re still the same amount of fun and usefulness. :wink:

4 Likes

I really like that volume. Some part were more complicated because of some keigo or lots of expressions used because of the variety of character included in the book. I also liked that for the first time there was some noticeable difference between the anime and the book. Some character like Priscilia and Julius have gained a lot of depth compared to before. The world is starting to get more and more background which is really good. I really liked the presentation of each character. I found it fun that none of them want to just continue ruling the country as it was. They all have plan and they all seems to be interesting contestant. I want to read more about the elections.

In therm of the bookclub I like that more people were active in the threads. We were able to exchange more thought than usual and I hope that we will keep these interactions. We are stating to lose more and more people so It fun to be able to discuss with everyone.

Hope to see you all in the next book.

6 Likes

Isnā€™t it the other way around, though? They lost a lot of depth in the adaptation. :stuck_out_tongue:

ā€¦ They do? Super 妾 wants to just do whatever she feels like, Emilia wants people to like her for who she is (thatā€™s hardly a vision for what the country should become, except if she wants to create a personality cult, I guess thatā€™s a plan), Felt is just going to go ćÆćƒ¼ļ¼Ÿwhile looking mean and so on.
What is their view on edged weapon control? Will they raise taxes on the nobility? Forced conscription?
(Iā€™m just a politics geek, you can ignore me)

4 Likes

Sounds about right (but she did say her ā€œblessingā€ will favor the whole country as a side effect of her attaining the throne. I find this funny in some way)

Iā€™m pretty sure she was talking about that in reference to the general racism against impure bloods (half elves are one part of it). I do think she has a plan here especially that Roswaal is backing her, and because we know she was studying almost full time at the mansion, but I think we just werenā€™t shown the details right now (our pov jumped to Subaru after he was ejected)

6 Likes

I was sure I meant that the light novel have more depth than the anime. I have made in mistake in my explanation? After re-reading I might not have been clear.

We donā€™t have all the details but they all have differents goal in mind. Felt is going to destroy the current system to make another, Anastasia is focusing on economie, Krush is going on military regimes etc. Their plans are gonna change the kingdom in a significant way. Iā€™m sure Priscila have a plan. Emilia and Roswalt had a talk about killing the dragon so I suppose big project incoming.

6 Likes

Nope you didnā€™t. They meant that you ought to say ā€œthe characters lost depth in the animeā€ instead of ā€œgained depth in the novelsā€, which is more objectively correct. (I think it was just a joke :stuck_out_tongue: )

Interesting to note that only Roswaal had that in mind, and Iā€™m sure he canā€™t announce that publicly too. Emilia likely has no idea too. Whatever his reasons are, we donā€™t know yet, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s a secret plan of his at this time, which might be part of the reason heā€™s backing Emilia (a kinda innocent candidate that he can manipulate?).

5 Likes

I like Roswaal. He is a super nice character. I find him very funny and interesting. Iā€™m sure such a nice character like that canā€™t be evil right? If he turn evil Iā€™m sure Reinhart can stop him. No one is more broken than Reinhart. I mean Subaru is only a side character in Reinhartā€™s story :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, I was facetious, but itā€™s technically not a joke. :stuck_out_tongue: the temporal chain was wrong in @icefang97ā€™s post. They could have said that reading the book added depth to the character for them, which would be correct and is probably what they meant. I understand that; again, I was just making a playful remark.

I have two points about this:

• I think it was about bias against her appearance specifically, as she looks really similar to the å«‰å¦¬ć®é­”å„³, whoā€™s also an half elf with similar hair color. Things didnā€™t improve when she mentioned she is also some flavor of 魔儳.
  • Anyway, I was talking about the fact that the council of elders or whatever they are called said people would refuse to follow the rule of someone looking like that. While she didnā€™t state the plan I mentioned explicitly, she would need to do just that in practice anyway.

I feel like goal is still kind of a stretch, but sure, they all have different flavors, such raising the military, becoming an economic powerhouse or rƩvolution.

Plz nerf. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Ever since Roswald mentioned that he wants to kill the dragon, Iā€™ve been weary of him. He is very nice on the outside, but I wonder what heā€™s really planning, and if itā€™s for the right reasons.

I just remembered when Subaru first met Emilia, she told him to call her Satella, which was apparently the witchā€™s name. I wonder why she would do that, considering the witch is the most hated in the world, and Emilia is trying to get people to like her.

5 Likes

Yeah exactly, I feel the same.

This was actually explained (subtly, I think?) in the 2nd arc, when Subaru asks Beatrice about it what it takes for someone to ā€œstealā€ the witchā€™s name. He realized back then that this was yet another act of kindness. Itā€™s common sense for anyone in the world that for someone to use the witchā€™s name, then they must be crazy. She didnā€™t want to involve Subaru much further so she did this to shoo him away. But Subaru being Subaru, had no idea what Satella meant.

5 Likes

Ah, yes. I remember that part now :slight_smile:

3 Likes