Question about 島々

Does this mean islands (plural) or like a string of islands close to one another?

I was trying to look up how to say “the islands are connected by bridges” (referring to a cluster of islands in one region) and was surprised when 島々 popped up in the translation instead of just 島 by itself

Can you use 島々 to talk about islands in general that are not connected to one another in any way or is it only for connected/clustered islands (like Hawaii)?

2 Likes

You can say something like 大西洋の島々, and those could be all over the place, so there’s no requirement that they just be a close group.

7 Likes

Is it more common to see 島々 rather than 島 overall when talking about islands in plural? Or are they used in equal frequency?

1 Like

I’m not sure if there’s a reliable way to answer that off the top of my head, since frequency usage lists won’t track how 島 is used.

3 Likes

Afaik, this is similar to 木々, 人々 and other words using the repeater kanji. These are mostly for emphasis, but without specifying how close are the objects together, whether it’s a tight group, etc. It’s like saying “several islands” or “islands”, but without a clear distinction of “1 island - X islands”.

At least in my experience.

4 Likes