Question about です vs でしょう

So I recently saw でしょう used instead of です, and after a quick google search it seems to have to do with uncertainty, and でしょう adding a note of uncertainty to the sentence. However, the grammar I’m going through had this example:

「何がいい?」
「ラーメンがいいでしょう。」

Here, they used でしょう when saying ramen sounds good. Is this a natural use of でしょう? And how would the sentence be different if one said 「ラーメンがいいです。」? Thanks!

Here, it’s basically asking for confirmation from the listener. “Ramen is good, don’t you think?” sort of thing. Just saying ラーメンがいいです might come across as too assertive. “We’re having ramen whether you agree or not.”

3 Likes
1 Like

でしょう expresses a guess that might or might not be based on any information at all.

だろう serves the same function in plain speech.

There’s a really helpful explanation in the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar under the entry for ようだ of different types of conjecture you will or will have already come across.

2 Likes

Isnt だろうmore masculine as well? Or used more by men like ぼく

Yeah だろう is masculine and maybe a bit course for women. Don’t quote me on that though.

1 Like

I quote you on this. I agree, but it is not unheard of for women to use this. In 1Q84 you hear it in Aomame’s inner monologue. She might not use it out loud, though, even if she was speaking ため口.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.