What are the correct connotations of でしょう?

Hello!

I started learning grammar through bunpro.jp and I’m confused about the connotations included with でしょう, so I was hoping someone could help to clarify because it appears I’m getting conflicting information.

Bunpro.jp says that でしょう can be used like ね but is softer and less direct; however, Tae Kim says that when でしょう is used in casual contexts it has a more assertive and/or opinionated connotation.

How do these two things reconcile themselves if they’re both correct, or is one correct and one incorrect?

1 Like

Probably wait for someone else to confirm this, since I’m not very far into grammar, but my understanding is that でしょう is more soft when used neutrally in formal contexts, but when you emphasize it with friends, it’s more assertive. Kind of like how the tone you use ね in can make it mean “please confirm this” or “I’m looking for you to agree.” It just depends on how you say it.

Imagine me saying “this is good, right?” in English. That can sound super self conscious if you read it as me saying it timidly, looking for approval. This can also be read so sound like I’m bragging, talking about how awesome I am. These are opposite meanings, but the context and tone of voice clarifies which one.

That does make a lot of sense. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.