Pun Sharing Time - Ten ants = Thanks

Today, we were wishing a Japanese colleague happy birthday in our company group chat while are all working from home. My colleague replies with a message that was just 10 emoji ants. After some back and forth, I learned this was a pun since ありがとう is similar to 蟻が十 (there are 10 ants)

Apparently this is some pretty dated slang, though. But if their testimony is true, it will be pretty impressive if you whip this out in front of a Japanese friend.

Do you guys know of any other common or popular puns?

:ant: :ant: :ant: :ant: :ant::ant: :ant: :ant: :ant: :ant:

14 Likes

Well, there’s always 草 = lol

Because see, 笑 (also lol) can be abbreviated to “w” (for “warau”). And if you want to say “lololol”, you can say 笑笑笑笑笑, or wwwww. And wwwww looks like grass growing. Hence 草.

11 Likes

Here are a few I remember learning a while back:

イルカはいるか。

梨は無し。

3 Likes

朝ごパン is a popular one (according to my teacher in his forties). It means bread for breakfast.

9 Likes

This has the dad joke energy I crave in all my puns

3 Likes

何型?クワガタ
What blood type are you? ( type of beetle)

2 Likes

It’s also because わら means also “straw” (written with another kanji than “herb”, but there is some idea linking actually)

3 Likes

Wow, it’s like cockney rhyming slang, only nerdier

3 Likes

Also 笹 if you want to be classy

3 Likes

Oh, and there is also the old くノ一 (kunoichi)

As hiragana “ku”, katakana “no” and digit “1” in kanji happen to form exactly, and in that order, the strokes for 女 (woman)

6 Likes

It’s not even a real pun, is it? I think I heard it in Naruto in use for female Ninjas haha.

Maybe I don’t know the exact meaning of “pun”.

If the meaning is simply a word play, then “kunoichi” actually is (but it plays here with visual shapes, something common in kanji-realm, but of course quite uncommon on alphabet-realms).

If the meaning of “pun” is a word play restricted to same sounding words, then indeed it isn’t.

In the case of 草 for 笑, it combines both sound play and image play (trough romaji (w) )

3 Likes

Yeah, but that’s the etymology. That’s literally where the word comes from.

2 Likes

Sorry guys, didn’t want sound too negative! :sweat_smile:
Still an interesting fact! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.